Train from Rome airport to cruise port area?

Alohaaloha

Looking for advice on train travel from the airport to Civitevecchia.

Is there a station within or near to the airport?

We'll have two cases and two carry ons... any advice appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Yes, there is a station at the airport.

Note, however, that with two suitcases and two carryons this will not be an easy transfer. Possible, but not easy.

You take a regional train from the airport to Rome Trastevere, where you switch to the train to Civitavecchia. There are elevators at each track to facilitate this transfer and they're usually working.

At Civitavecchia there are no elevators so you'll need to get down a full flight of stairs and back up again to get from the train into the station.

From the station you can take a public bus to the port shuttle pick up point or walk, it's one mile.

Arrange for the cruiseline to transport you or a shuttle from airport to port. 2 people with 4 bags & 2 carry ons plus Stairs (not escalators) and no ability to really keep your luggage close. Unless you are big men and in good shape this is a horrible idea. Book a shuttle/private transfer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

From Rome I would seriously consider spending a little extra to take a Frecce train to Civitavecchia. With this you avoid any hassles about seats as you have an assigned one, and any concern about your luggage is eased because the train goes non-stop from Rome to Civitavecchia.

There are only two each day that work for cruisers headed to embark, at 11:57 (arrives 12:44) or 13:57 (arrives 14:44). It's a little more than three times the cost of the regional train, but still a bargain at €16.

Italian trains are well known to strike at a moment's notice!! No fun when you've got to be on board your cruise ship AND got heavy luggage as well!!

Surely it is time to put this urban myth to rest. Italian trains do NOT strike "at a moment's notice" and they also do not strike with the frequency some would have you believe....

There is a listing I have watched for years (courtesy of eurocruiser who originally pointed it out) whenever I am planning travel to Italy, since I use the trains quite a bit to get around. This listing gives strike information for all planned upcoming strikes. And any planned strikes with public impact are required to give advance notice and are posted here. Whenever I hear of 'wildcat' strikes I have to figure most people have no idea how to look up strikes in advance and just assume they are random.

One thing I noticed very quickly is that strikes are primarily regional, though there are a few widespread ones each year. These regional strikes often affect very few people -- and overall almost every strike is for 24 hours or less (most for just a few hours) -- it is not at all the same type of situation as in the US where strikes are a 'last ditch' negotiating gambit that is apt to continue for days or weeks.

Another thing I quickly noticed is that many scheduled strikes are called off before the actual strike period arrives: just because a strike is scheduled for a given day six weeks from now, don't despair -- it may be cancelled a month out.

Finally, in reading other travel websites for more information about strikes, I learned that certain trains are ALWAYS guaranteed to run on any given day, strike or no strike. For example, there are several trains between Civitavecchia and Rome (each way) that will still run despite any strike action that takes place.

I also ran across an article on perceptions about strikes versus reality a couple of years ago, in which the author had crunched the numbers and found that -- far from strikes being common and inconveniencing millions, they actually impacted very few, as more than 97% of scheduled trains in a given year were never affected.

Of course, it is a foolish person who will not have a backup plan in mind in case of problems (which could be a mechanical issue with the train, a problem on the tracks, or any number of things). But Italian rail strikes are not the bogeyman!

I think it's more that a lie, repeated enough times, eventually starts to sound like truth if only because you've heard it so often, from multiple sources. Like any information, it's always important to consider the source and what dog they may have in the particular fight. It works for the cruise lines because it reinforces why you should pay for their excursions, and similarly for the limo services.

Here is another vote for the strike myth. And for the bad driving myth as well.

We have toured Italy multiple times-by car and by train. Usually a combination of both. In all the times we have been we have only experienced one strike. And that was by the vaportetto drivers in Venice. It was a two or three hour strike and it was advertised a day in advance. So essentially no interuption in our trip.

Our experience on Italian trains is excellent. They run on time, there are lots of options, and the prices are excellent compared to other rail systems in Europe.

We just learned of a good alternative to taking the train with all the luggage.

The Port of Civitavecchia now has a "shared shuttle transfer" available which runs around 30-35 eu per person each way. They will shuttle you from FCO to the Port (or back) and from Rome to the Port (or back). Scroll down the page to see groups that still need people (up to 8 max) to share that ride. Or start your own group (which others may join).

http://www.civitavecchiaport.org/shared-shuttle-service/#join

We're hoping to share a Rome to Port on Aug 31st (pick up at your hotel) at 11am.

Also hoping to share a Port to FCO on Sept 10 (pick up at the ship) at 8am.

We're trying to avoid schlepping our luggage on the trains if possible.

We just learned of a good alternative to taking the train with all the luggage.

The Port of Civitavecchia now has a "shared shuttle transfer" available which runs around 30-35 eu per person each way. They will shuttle you from FCO to the Port (or back) and from Rome to the Port (or back). Scroll down the page to see groups that still need people (up to 8 max) to share that ride. Or start your own group (which others may join).

http://www.civitavecchiaport.org/shared-shuttle-service/#join

We're hoping to share a Rome to Port on Aug 31st (pick up at your hotel) at 11am.

Also hoping to share a Port to FCO on Sept 10 (pick up at the ship) at 8am.

We're trying to avoid schlepping our luggage on the trains if possible.

Reasonable and practical advice. I am a real train fan but dragging heavy suitcases & carry on bags in a crowded train and then schlepping them several blocks to the ship..... why would you want to start your vacation with such misery.

Reasonable and practical advice. I am a real train fan but dragging heavy suitcases & carry on bags in a crowded train and then schlepping them several blocks to the ship..... why would you want to start your vacation with such misery.

Some of us do not have heavy bags to schlep... ;) I pack for knowing that I will have to port everything myself, up stairs, up into overheads, onto a train. I'm never miserable :)

But, the new port-offered shuttle is definitely an option. We'll have to see how it works out as people report on it post-usage.

Our suitcases aren't heavy, and the carry ons are really small. Also if we're pre booking seats, an overcrowded train won't affect us-( if it is overcrowded- who knows?)

We are going to a hotel overnight which is 100 yards from the station, so no 'schlepping' for us!

The private transfer is €135.00 each way - slightly more expensive than a €19.00 each train ride!

Some of us do not have heavy bags to schlep... ;) I pack for knowing that I will have to port everything myself, up stairs, up into overheads, onto a train. I'm never miserable :)

But, the new port-offered shuttle is definitely an option. We'll have to see how it works out as people report on it post-usage.

Same here! Never miserable [emoji3]Like the sound of the shuttle option too.

The shuttle does sound like a good alternative, I wonder what took so long for someone to try it? I'm sure the amount of regulations to address and hoops to jump through is overwhelming, but at least they only have to deal with one port authority with dominion over both the airport and the port. With the volume of cruisers going through Civitavecchia each year it seems like a reasonable risk for a tour operator to take, the market is certainly there.

The shuttle does sound like a good alternative, I wonder what took so long for someone to try it? I'm sure the amount of regulations to address and hoops to jump through is overwhelming, but at least they only have to deal with one port authority with dominion over both the airport and the port. With the volume of cruisers going through Civitavecchia each year it seems like a reasonable risk for a tour operator to take, the market is certainly there.

I believe the Port-Airport shuttle has been running for quite some time. The Port-Rome is relatively new. I'll be trying them end of Aug./Sept. There are a lot of groups listed earlier, so hopefully we'll hear some reviews soon. The info on their website makes it sound really attractive and easy to do.

Hmm, it's less attractive as a port day travel alternative unless they have multiple departures and returns each day. The problem with the others that I have seen is that they wait to leave for the latest arriving ship and they return in time for the earliest departing one, making for a very short port day.

It is a good idea for embark and disembark days.

We always travel by train (via Trastevere), the only exception was when we arrived into Rome in the evening and just wanted to press on to our hotel. We always have a suitcase and a carry on each, we are not 'big men' and have never yet had a miserable experience 'schlepping' our bags around. ;p The trains are frequent, efficient and generally uncrowded unless you travel in the rush hour - oh and they're much much cheaper than private transfers If it's within your comfort zone I would definitely go by train. :)

We always travel by train (via Trastevere), the only exception was when we arrived into Rome in the evening and just wanted to press on to our hotel. We always have a suitcase and a carry on each, we are not 'big men' and have never yet had a miserable experience 'schlepping' our bags around. ;p The trains are frequent, efficient and generally uncrowded unless you travel in the rush hour - oh and they're much much cheaper than private transfers If it's within your comfort zone I would definitely go by train. :)

Thanks so much for your post. We recently did a Venice public water. Bus with 5 cases and managed fine- so your post reassured us that we'll manage ok.

Hmm, it's less attractive as a port day travel alternative unless they have multiple departures and returns each day. The problem with the others that I have seen is that they wait to leave for the latest arriving ship and they return in time for the earliest departing one, making for a very short port day.

It is a good idea for embark and disembark days.

Actually you sign up for specific pick up times. When you start a new "group" they give you the available times to choose from. And they pick you up right at the ship or your hotel in Rome.

When we arrive at FCO from the US, we are taking the Leonardo Express train from FCO non-stop to Termini in Rome for 14 eu each (32 minute ride). Our hotel is a few blocks walk from the terminal.

From Rome I would seriously consider spending a little extra to take a Frecce train to Civitavecchia. With this you avoid any hassles about seats as you have an assigned one, and any concern about your luggage is eased because the train goes non-stop from Rome to Civitavecchia.

There are only two each day that work for cruisers headed to embark, at 11:57 (arrives 12:44) or 13:57 (arrives 14:44). It's a little more than three times the cost of the regional train, but still a bargain at €16.

This is exactly what we did 2 weeks ago and took the 11:57 from Termini. Train was great and while we have never done the regional train, I felt the frecce was well worth the little bit extra. We booked in advance and I believe paid around 10 euros each. The scenery was also enjoyable at times.

This is exactly what we did 2 weeks ago and took the 11:57 from Termini. Train was great and while we have never done the regional train, I felt the frecce was well worth the little bit extra. We booked in advance and I believe paid around 10 euros each. The scenery was also enjoyable at times.

Do they have a web site for this train Piper? This sounds exactly what we're looking for- we are flying in the day before the cruise and hoping to stay in Civitevecchi, so the early or later train from Rome would probably suit us dependant on our flight of course.