Parking In Southampton

Cruiseguy78

This is a bit of a silly question but had a question in regards to long term parking in Southampton . I found a good enough deal at the Southampton Airport, but was wondering if that parking was for Airport customers only? Would there be a issue parking there ,and then going on a cruise ?

Also if anyone knows or used a parking service there they would suggest would be very happy.

Cheers

We used parking4cruises.com - much cheaper than the on site parking.

We use Parking4cruises but even if you use CPS which is the recommended parking company used by Cunard they are dearer and they still drive your car away to other parts of the port area.

Hi Cruiseguy78

I would recommend Alternative Cruise Parking(ACP), they are situated in Marchwood and convey you to and from the Cruise Terminals by Minibus.

They are reasonably priced and their staff are friendly and efficient, I used them a couple of years ago and would not hesitate to use them again if I were departing from Southampton.

Have a great Cruise.

We use Parking4cruises but even if you use CPS which is the recommended parking company used by Cunard they are dearer and they still drive your car away to other parts of the port area.

After my experience with Soton parking I would say "Never again". We had a Jag with computer controlled seats and steering wheel reach. We handed over the car keys before the cruise and a young lad employed by the parking company took control of the car.. On return from our cruise and on our way home along the motorway, the drivers seat and steering wheel started to adjust themselves for reach and position. Luckily I was driving and could cope but if my wife had been driving, she is shorter than me, the controls would have been out of her reach. I mentioned this to Jaguar who told me that the computer had been given too many input signals and was resetting itself. Obviously the young lad employed by the parking company had been playing with the on board computer.As for parking now; we go to Soton the day before our cruise and book into a very nice hotel, dinner b/b 14 days parking and taxi to/from cruise terminal all for £30 more than cruise terminal parking

As for parking now; we go to Soton the day before our cruise and book into a very nice hotel, dinner b/b 14 days parking and taxi to/from cruise terminal all for £30 more than cruise terminal parking

Is that one hotel in particular? I've often wondered about doing that but never sure what time they would come to pick you up after the cruise as you never know yourself the exact time you are going to disembark.

We did something similar at The Montague Arms in Beaulieu. We rang the taxi company when we had collected our luggage. They don't have far to come so they were there quickly. They sent a text with the registration number and ETA.

Edited by Host Hattie

After my experience with Soton parking I would say "Never again". We had a Jag with computer controlled seats and steering wheel reach. We handed over the car keys before the cruise and a young lad employed by the parking company took control of the car.. On return from our cruise and on our way home along the motorway, the drivers seat and steering wheel started to adjust themselves for reach and position. Luckily I was driving and could cope but if my wife had been driving, she is shorter than me, the controls would have been out of her reach. I mentioned this to Jaguar who told me that the computer had been given too many input signals and was resetting itself. Obviously the young lad employed by the parking company had been playing with the on board computer.As for parking now; we go to Soton the day before our cruise and book into a very nice hotel, dinner b/b 14 days parking and taxi to/from cruise terminal all for £30 more than cruise terminal parking

We always stay in a hotel overnight before our cruise but would never use parking with a hotel in an insecure car park open to public access and the chance of either damage or having your car stolen from an insecure hotel car park with no security.

Is that one hotel in particular? I've often wondered about doing that but never sure what time they would come to pick you up after the cruise as you never know yourself the exact time you are going to disembark.

We stay in a De Vere hotel on the outskirts of Soton. They serve food that is comparable to Cunard, the hotel staff are very pleasant and helpful and the taxi company couldn't be more accommodating. Just the right start for a holiday and an easy finish.

If this happened as you drove along and Jaguar told you it was because of something done several days earlier, you should be seriously complaining to Jaguar, because that is nonsense.

We always stay in a hotel overnight before our cruise but would never use parking with a hotel in an insecure car park open to public access and the chance of either damage or having your car stolen from an insecure hotel car park with no security.

Do you not have vehicle insurance

If this happened as you drove along and Jaguar told you it was because of something done several days earlier, you should be seriously complaining to Jaguar, because that is nonsense.

As far as is known, the car was taken from the cruise terminal to the nearby car park and left there until collected at the end of the cruise. I presume that when the car was parked no further electrical inputs were received by the on board computer. if the ignition was switched off before the signal inputs could be acted upon by the computer and the electrics, then those inputs would still be there when the ignition is switched back on.

if the ignition was switched off before the signal inputs could be acted upon by the computer and the electrics, then those inputs would still be there when the ignition is switched back on.

Sorry, but that statement is not correct, turn off the ignition and any un-acted upon signals will disappear into the ether.

• 9 months later...

Last cruise from Southampton was P&O. I left the car at terminal and on return had a simple walk across the road to the car park.

But here is my question. Why is the car parking with Cunard a lot more expensive than if you go on Celebrity?

Celebrity = ABP parking (owned and operated by the Port of Southampton)

Cunard and P&O = CPS parking

So maybe it's the parking companies that charge one dearer than the other.

Last cruise from Southampton was P&O. I left the car at terminal and on return had a simple walk across the road to the car park.

But here is my question. Why is the car parking with Cunard a lot more expensive than if you go on Celebrity?

Where you picked your car up on disembarkation your car would not have been parked there for the duration of the cruise. CPS take them to their own parking facility in the port area and then it is port regulations that they bring your car to where you picked it up from the day before you disembarked.

After my experience of parking at Soton you must be a sandwich short of a picnic if you trust your car to them

Which company did you have the problem with bluemug ? What was their response to your complaint ?

I've used CPS 3 times and each time they were excellent.

Ditto - I thought they were better value than the alternative of £90 OBC I could have had with full fare tickets, and I'm already booked with them for this December.

Ray, I have used the Holiday Inn, Herbert Walker Avenue with a parking package. On arrival you unload your car and are requested to re-park at the rear,yourself and display the parking notice, reception gives you, on the dashboard. They have a free swimming pool and a gym. You book your embarkation taxi time slot on arrival for the following day at the hotel reception. They pick you up from the hotel, you can sit in foyer and have coffees etc. They give you information on return pick up procedure.

When your ship returns to Southampton you use your mobile to phone the number the hotel gives you for return pick up. They request you do not phone before you get your luggage back in the hall. The wait for taxi is 5 -10 minutes. They know your name and confirm this and your hotel name.

It's pretty efficient and straight forward.

Regards John

• 2 weeks later...

We regularly use Parking4 cruises. In April we left the car with them prior to flying from Heathrow to Dubai to join QM2 final segment of the world cruise. As it was Easter Sunday we dropped it off at their yard, which is very secure and manned 24 hours.

They then dropped us at the Coach Station for our journey to Heathrow. We disembarked 8th May at 8.30am. Our car was waiting for us.

Great service every time.