Southern Cross/ night sky

DOT Dudet

I'm a "stargazer", too...but it seems there are always clouds or enough haze to block decent views of the night sky....at least, that's been my experience! I was so looking forward to seeing the Southern Cross...never got a glimpse!

It's a group of stars that was discovered by Crosby, Stills and Nash;)! Sorry couldn't resist:D. http://earthsky.org/brightest-stars/acrux-shines-in-the-southern-cross

Have to agree with CB, while you can find a spot somewhere on the ship where the lights don't intrude too much, getting the cloudy-partly cloudy tropical skies to cooperate can be another story. Usually an upper, outer deck either forward or aft will usually shield you enough from the lights. If your ship permits access to the bow, that is about the best place.

I am on the NCL Jewel right now, the 16-night Panama Canal cruise that left Miami on Jan. 20. The transit of the Canal was incredible, and I'll post about that when we get home, but I wanted to say that we saw the Southern Cross in the wee hours before dawn on Canal Day, as well as at 4am on the days prior. We've also seen the Milky Way every night. (We have had totally clear skies. I hope I haven't jinxed us!)

However, we are in a forward-facing balcony directly under the bridge (my dream cabin for this cruise); there are no lights in the bow, and thus a far darker night sky. On the rest of the ship, as on other ships, the light pollution impedes star gazing, though of course not as much as it does in cities on land.

Having a great trip. Thanks again to BillB48 and the other Canal experts on here who have shared their wisdom.

• 1 month later...
What is the southern cross?

In the northern hemisphere we have the big dipper. In the southern hemisphere they have the southern cross....points to a different star obviously but in the old days was used for navigation in the southern hemisphere.