Middle East Attire

Itsbeentoolong

Hi Guys,

Going on the Vision of the Seas to Dubai, Oman and Abu Dhabi in March and I was wondering what I can wear...I don't want to visit any religious places and will only be doing HO-HO buses in Muscat, Dubai and Abu Dhabi. Will I be okay to wear shorts and T-shirt just walking around? I'm going for a sun tan, and I wear a Suit all day for work, don't want to wear a shirt and trousers on holiday.

At the same time I'm respectful of other cultures and would rather not get off the ship if I'm going to offend.

also will the above be hot at the end of march?....I hope so :)

Thanks

Dean

I'd think just shorts and t-shirts is pushing it too much...

Long shorts (i.e knees covered ) and polo top (i.e with a collar) is for me the best options... but not sure even these will get you into some malls or hotels (like the palm atlantis??) ??? any views forum?

Not sure if it is essential, but will be in Dubai for 3 days mid March ourselves and have read somewhere that it is expected that long trousers, and skirts below the knee or trousers is expected for ladies. Sleeves are also expected, but I cannot remember if short sleeves are considered OK, but I think any tight fitting clothes may be a bit iffy. We intend to wear loose blouse/shirt and turn the lower sleeve back.

Temps are warming up there now, so should be nicely warm by end of March.

Dean I am to be a week in Dubai before heading to Singapore for Singapore to Abu Dhabi cruise. First of all as a woman probably old enough to be your mother -- wear sleeves for the protection of your skin! I could line up at least 15 of my friends who have had skin cancers burned or cut out of my face/head/arms/legs. It is not something to play around with. Painful and expensive price to pay for your suntan at your age. If you suntan much, it means you are damaging the skin and setting yourself up for problems later. It is the truth and not negotiable. I have had Dr's tell me this over and over. Wear long sleeves, hats, sunglasses, and long light pants. End of lecture and thanks for listening.

Here are some ideas for a male in sunny hot climates. Travel shirts with sun protection of 50 SPF or more. Available on-line or try Bass Pro Shops in the fishing area. Lots of styles and colors. LONG Sleeves for protection from sun and bugs! My husband often wears a wicking t-shirt under the shirt and leaves it open almost like a jacket. Then have t-shirt for places don't want the long sleeves. Designed with panels to let air flow so are cool.

Trousers. Long pants with zip off legs. Long for protection zipped off where shorts appropriate. light weight and neutral color.

Swim wear: Rash guard over longer trunks. People really laugh at the gentleman with the big red belly -- just like "straps and stripes" on a girl.

Feet: Oh my gosh nothing hurts like sun burned feet. Streets in many places of the world are not very clean or safe. Full shoes protect the feet and keep you happy. Feet are one of the most vulnerable places for skin cancers -- along with nose and ears.

Sun glasses: protect your retinas and corneas. Hat helps this also.

If you have the funds, buy a "middle-eastern type" outfit and then you have a great Halloween costume forever. You will make a great statement in the ship dining room -- great ice breaker!

Hey have a great time and write your post cruise thoughts FAST since I don't leave for Dubai until April 2017.

Be safe and healthy.

Sun glasses: protect your retinas and corneas.

I agree eyes need protection, but sometimes sunglasses can be the worst thing as they do not always stop all UV (even ones that claim to be OK). So your iris's open wider with sun glasses as they are dark and then more UV goes into the eyes than would have done without them. A lot of people do not realise that.

I once worked for a hospital consultant in one of my research posts and he said his sunglasses are glass (glass does not let the UV through).

All the medical advise above is valid and sensible.

From a fashion point:

T shirts are ok. But they must not have any messages or images that can be deemed even the slightest bit offensive or political / religious.

If you wear shorts in the streets, you will be stared at. Shorts belong to the beach or hotel pool or perhaps on a sand duning or boating trip.

Wear comfortable lose natural fibre long pants.

Foot ware wise, sandals are ok ( nearly all Arabic men wear them with the traditional outfits). Flip flops Are considered a bit low class.

Just returned from Dubai. People wore whatever they wanted. I packed conservative attire based on other posts, but this was unnecessary. Shorts, t-shirts, flip-flops were seen everywhere, even in Dubai Mall and Burj Khalifa but Dubai is the most liberal of the emirates. Can't comment of the others. Pack quick dry fabrics. At the beginning of our trip, Dubai was 80F and humid. One week later, temps were in the mid-60s during the day.

Just back from Vision of the Seas,we go to Dubai quite often,it is the most westernised of all.Men can wear shorts almost everywhere,women I personally wouldn't but arms ,legs can be on show and won't cause offence.Enjoy it's a fab place.

• 2 weeks later...

imo the hoho (even the so called discounted 3 city package) is vastly over priced and not needed.

due to the traffic you'd struggle to see much of dubai on a hoho.

We ended using taxis and metro (dubai) and spent less and saw more.

The only benefit of the hoho is the 48 hour tick in dubai and that is 'if' you have time to use the 'extras'

enjoy........ and don't miss the creek

p.s long shorts were fine for malls and hotels like the palm atlantis

Edited by waney

Anybody have comments on fishnet type knitted garments. I have several sweaters that have crocheted look -- large loose stitches or lacy like materials. Will these be considered "covered" upper arms. Usually wear with sleeveless or tank top. Adult woman asking.

Anybody have comments on fishnet type knitted garments. I have several sweaters that have crocheted look -- large loose stitches or lacy like materials. Will these be considered "covered" upper arms. Usually wear with sleeveless or tank top. Adult woman asking.

You'll probably be OK in Dubai just wandering around but the men in the souks (not necessarily from UAE) can be a bit forward. It's always best not to draw attention to yourself by showing too much flesh. The other UAE countries are not as westernised as Dubai and you should consider covering up and being more respectful of their culture.

You will run the risk of being turned away at many public places, including shopping malls - and especially on a Friday, which is the Holy day. If you can see the flesh, it is not covered up. The whole point of it is to not being able to SEE certain bits of you!

Remember to be respectful to the culture and local sensitivities. Certain Western Nations do not endear themselves to the Gulf / Muslim nations at the moment. What was overlooked with rolled eyes 3 months ago, can now give them an excuse to hassle you.

Leave such outfits for the beach or in your hotel (still getting stared at in the latter).

Just consider this: the US (and other) foreign military and other official personnel would not dream of going in public in an inappropriate state of dress. They don't of course dress in Arabic outfits, but definitely lean towards a more modest and conservative look.

Clothing

Dubai is very liberal, but it’s still a Muslim city:

Keep this 1 Golden Rule in mind:

WHAT TO WEAR DEPENDS ON WHERE YOU ARE GOING.

M E N should not wear shorts unless they are at the beach.

Long, light trousers and t-shirts/shirts with collar are appropriate for malls, museums, souks, etc.

W O M E N, it’s obviously more complicated:

When dining/partying at clubs & Western restaurants: Pretty much anything goes.

In malls & “Western” areas: knee-length skirts & tops that cover the shoulders (and stomach) & are not too deep-cut are fine.

When visiting souks, mosques or the museum: it’s best to wear long skirts or trousers & loose tops

to cover down to the elbows as not to offend anyone & not to attract any unwanted attention.

Golden Rule No. 2: Ladies, if you show too much skin, everyone will think you’re a prostitute.

TIP for Women: to be on the safe side: wear long skirts or light trousers & tops that cover the shoulders. always carry a light cardigan or shawl / pashmina to cover shoulders if you should decide to visit a more “conservative” area… it’s also useful to keep warm, as the air-conditioning in malls & restaurants can be freezing cold!