What is a good reasonably priced hotel in Melbourne (less than $150US) in downtown

4774Papa

What is a good reasonably priced hotel in Melbourne (less than $150US) in downtown.

We will likely be there for about five days.

When are you visiting Melbourne? There are many hotels and apartments in the CBD area (downtown) but prices will depend if there are any big events occurring in Melbourne at the time. Most of the international hotel chains are in Melbourne. For a five day stay, I would suggest an apartment as then you will have more facilities for your use.

Leigh

When are you visiting Melbourne? There are many hotels and apartments in the CBD area (downtown) but prices will depend if there are any big events occurring in Melbourne at the time. Most of the international hotel chains are in Melbourne. For a five day stay, I would suggest an apartment as then you will have more facilities for your use.

Leigh

Leigh, thanks,

We plan to arrive on or about March 30, 2018 and stay for five days. It will be just two persons.

Leigh, thanks,

We plan to arrive on or about March 30, 2018 and stay for five days. It will be just two persons.

4774Papa,

As it will be Easter (Good Friday is the 30th March), it is likely to be more expensive than say the week before. I would check some of the booking sites see below, and see what would suit you the best. Sometimes you may get a better deal through contacting the hotel directly.- we have found this when we have stayed in town for a special event or occassion although because it is a one off we are usually happy to spend a little more..

http://www.booking.com

https://www.trivago.com.au

http://www.wotif.com

Expedia

Wotif

I am happy to answer questions about location of any you are interested in.

Leigh

We stayed in the Double Tree by Hilton across from the train station on Flinders Street. Booked as part of an overall trip in OZ and the price wasn't itemized, so I don't know how much it was for the hotel.

Since I'm more of a nature type guy, I really didn't enjoy staying in the CBD....too many people coming and going all the time.

However, the hotel was an ok place to stay and convent to catch tours near Federation Square.

Not only will Easter push prices up, I'd suggest booking as soon as possible.

Se years ago we stayed at Staton Pier Condominiums, lovely little appartments, on the water. Not in the city, but a short walk to the trams.

Not only will Easter push prices up, I'd suggest booking as soon as possible.

Se years ago we stayed at Staton Pier Condominiums, lovely little appartments, on the water. Not in the city, but a short walk to the trams.

Good point Mr GUT, Easter is always busy and I just looked at a couple of hotels and they are listed as booked out for Easter next year.

Station Pier Condominiums would be a great place to stay if not being in the CBD is not that important.

Leigh

Good point Mr GUT, Easter is always busy and I just looked at a couple of hotels and they are listed as booked out for Easter next year.

Station Pier Condominiums would be a great place to stay if not being in the CBD is not that important.

Leigh

For five days you get a laundry and kitchen too. Which can be a real plus.

Yep, short walk to the tras into town, tennis courts from memory and I think a pool. But it was a while back we stayed there.

Definitely book as soon as possible. I just checked one of our favourite places to stay and there was only 2br apartments available.

Most booking websites allow you to enter a price range to select on. Look at those results, pick ones you like the sound of, then you can ask for further info here.

Don't be afraid to go outside of the downtown area, Melbourne has great public transport so it's very easy to get around. We're tending to stay in St Kilda these days. Nice location and plenty of good restaurants. Plus a really good tram service into the city.

For five days you get a laundry and kitchen too. Which can be a real plus.

Yep, short walk to the tras into town, tennis courts from memory and I think a pool. But it was a while back we stayed there.

Mr GUT, do you remember the address as I couldn't find it listed? Perhaps a change of name.

Easter for 2018 is on April 1. We plan to book as soon as we can, which is usually 330 days out. I am very familiar with all the booking sites, but was looking for personal experience in a moderately priced hotel. We can't change our dates in Melbourne, since we have a cruise out of Sydney on April 6 and will fly to Sydney on April 5.

Mr GUT, do you remember the address as I couldn't find it listed? Perhaps a change of name.

Pretty sure it was Beach Street, Port Melbourne, it was on the road that runs along the water front from the Pier.

Pretty sure it was Beach Street, Port Melbourne, it was on the road that runs along the water front from the Pier.

Thanks Mr Gut. Doesn't seem to be any apartments listed on Beach Street that are short term rentals. Perhaps become long term rentals?

Leigh

Thanks Mr Gut. Doesn't seem to be any apartments listed on Beach Street that are short term rentals. Perhaps become long term rentals?

Leigh

Sad if so, they were a great location and not a bad price.

Have a look a The Larwill Studio, in Parkville, it may suit your budget and is on the Northern edge of the CBD.

The Larwill Studio looks great and has an excellent price. Still, it looks like it is about two mies from city center. What kind of transport is available? Are taxis expensive in Melbourne?

4474Papa,

The Larwill is situated on both tram and bus routes which will pass by every 5-7 minutes or so. You would need a Myki card to travel on public transport in Melbourne -

https://www.ptv.vic.gov.au/getting-around/visiting-melbourne/

It is very easy to catch public transport here in Melbourne.

Leigh

Leigh

• 2 weeks later...
Any opinions on the Alto Hotel on Bourke in Melbourne?

It receives good reviews. It is convenient to Southern Cross Station and major tram lines run along Bourke Street. I tried to do a dummy booking through the usual hotel booking sites and it appears it may be booked out for your dates 4774Papa. When I tried the hotel's own booking site, it didn't come up with anything, although they still have vacancies for this Easter. If you are interested in the Alto perhaps contact the hotel directly. There is a contact form on their website.

Leigh

It receives good reviews. It is convenient to Southern Cross Station and major tram lines run along Bourke Street. I tried to do a dummy booking through the usual hotel booking sites and it appears it may be booked out for your dates 4774Papa. When I tried the hotel's own booking site, it didn't come up with anything, although they still have vacancies for this Easter. If you are interested in the Alto perhaps contact the hotel directly. There is a contact form on their website.

Leigh

We did book at the Aldo on Bourke and the price was excellent, about $150 US per night.

We did book at the Aldo on Bourke and the price was excellent, about $150 US per night.

That's great 4774Papa. Hope you have an enjoyable visit next year to our beautiful city. If you have any other questions about Melbourne, ask away.

Leigh

That's great 4774Papa. Hope you have an enjoyable visit next year to our beautiful city. If you have any other questions about Melbourne, ask away.

Leigh

And if you want to know about places worth visiting those from NSW will chip in;):eek: