Rental car for Oct. day in Corner Brook, NL

stephensfamily5

We will be docking in Corner Brook October 13th from 7-5pm. My husband and I enjoy nature with a little hiking. We are considering renting a car, but we have a couple of questions.

1) It seems that most people hesitate to rent cars here. The price seems reasonable for the day. Is there some other reason to avoid heading out on our own?

2) What is the best way to get to Enterprise from the dock? Is it easily walkable? taxi?

3) Gros Morne is what originally got us interested, but the pictures we admired seem to be from Western Brook Pond on the far side of the park. The Tablelands reviews talk about the earth's mantle, but we prefer sea, mountains, and greenery. So now we are thinking of driving the south shore of the Bay of Islands. Any not-to-be-missed short hikes, viewpoints, restaurants, or other stops?

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions ahead of time!

• 3 weeks later...

I have never been to Cornerbrook NL, so I cannot offer any personal experience info. But here is a port guide written, in 2015, by a fellow cruiser, Tom Sheridan. The guidebook is free, has maps, GPS coordinates, pictures, suggestions etc. Here it is:

http://www.tomsportguides.com/uploads/5/8/5/4/58547429/cornerbrook-nl-08-31-2015.pdf