First Cruise - Crying Baby Question...

Libbywhite14

Hello everyone,

My husband, myself, our 3.5 yo and 8 mo are going on our first cruise in 2 weeks to Nassau and Freeport. I have read so much on here about what to bring and things to pack to make our lives easier, how and when to eat, etc. I am so grateful for all the advice! One thing that I haven't seen any posts on are crying babies. Our babe is pretty laid back, but she IS 8 months and does get cranky. I guess my question is, when we are in our room, are the walls so thin that our neighbors will be able to hear every whimper? Obviously we will do our best to keep her happy and calm, but I guess I would feel a little more at-ease if people won't even notice if our baby is having a meltdown. Thanks for the info in advance! Any other tips are totally appreciated!

I've done 8 or so cruises, none with the baby yet, but I have never heard so much as a peep from my neighbors on the ship. One time a couple got into a nasty fight in the hallway and we could hear that pretty clearly, but never the rooms near us. I'm sure she will be fine!

One of my girls had a bad ear infection as a toddler on a cruise. She wailed a lot one night, so I offered the people next to us a bottle of wine, but they insisted they didn't hear anything. I don't know if it was true, but I've found that addressing it, apologizing and offering to buy a drink or something is nice so they know you care and are doing your best. (By the way, the medical center on board was spectacular.)

Traveled with cranky babies/ toddlers several times. Never had an issue. Personally I don't see any reason to address or apologize to someone for a baby being...a baby.

The only sounds I've ever heard was of doors being slammed. Those balcony doors are heavy! Oh and my husband snoring :D

I wonder if approaching your neighbors and explaining that you have a baby and to let you know if she bothers them ahead of time would help?

I definitely wouldn't be impressed by the parents putting me in an awkward situation by asking me to "let them know" if their baby is bothering me. If she does, what can they actually do about it? Hopefully they're booked in a family room on a family-friendly floor.

Yeah, I'm not sure I'd address it beforehand - that seems like a sure fire way for someone to be put in an awkward situation. We do have a balcony suite, so I figured that would be a quick escape to the outdoors for a change of scenery. If she gets inconsolable, I'd likely walk her around the ship until she calms down, anyway, because we have a 3 yo, too. So she'll also need her sleep.

Cabin walls are not "paper thin"...don't worry too much. Babies are babies....hard to control them! Of course, if they are in the dining room or theater and start "acting up", you will take them outside....other than that, relax! There are NO "baby police", despite how it might sound on these boards!!!

Cabin walls are not "paper thin"...don't worry too much. Babies are babies....hard to control them! Of course, if they are in the dining room or theater and start "acting up", you will take them outside....other than that, relax! There are NO "baby police", despite how it might sound on these boards!!!

Thank you, that's very reassuring! I'm hoping she'll let me relax a little ;)

Thank you, that's very reassuring! I'm hoping she'll let me relax a little ;)

One thing about ships, babies usually love the slight rocking/motion. Mine always slept their best on ships (having a dark cabin and lots of activity between naps helped too). My girls slept so hard I was able to put them in a stroller sleeping and take walks around the ship.

We chose to wait til our youngest was 2 to cruise because I wanted him to be able to go to camp so I could have some down time. That said, more power to those who take the little ones!

I have been on a couple of holiday cruises so ships loaded with kids and can't think of a single time I have been disturbed by a baby. Adults having alcohol induced fights is another...

Of course, please exercise you parental manners and if tears appear the the shows or MDR excuse yourselves until baby is happy again. As long as you are considerate in these public venues I don't see an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've never heard a baby on any cruise ship either. I've also never worried about my daughter making a noise in the room - the rooms are metal lined. I've also never heard noise from the neighbours. Is she was grumpy at dinner I would take her out as that's much more public and likely to disturb. You sound very sensible, you will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums