Safety in Vancouver

we will be arriving in Vancouver the day before our cruise in the morning.we want to do some sight seeing. We want to see the Capilano Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mountain. No a fan of heights but want to do it anyways. We will be staying at Four Season. What is the best way to get around and is it safe to walk around Vancouver? I see a evening tour starts the day we arrive for those two places. I do not have a problem going on a tour but hate to book in case our flight is delayed. Is there buses or transportation close to our hotel?

... is it safe to walk around Vancouver?

Vancouver is a large city which, in my opinion, is as safe and as dangerous as any other large city on the planet. :) You just need to be careful, walk with purpose, and have a plan.

When is your cruise? It stays light here until well after 9 pm in the summer.

Agreed... daylight makes the area feel real safe until 9pm.

Thoughts....

• if you walk to the cruise terminal.... there are free shuttles to Grouse and Capilano.
  • Grouse is best explored in the afternoon when the shows are running.
  • Capilano offers a discount if you arrive after 5pm when the crowds are lighter. This may be important for someone does not enjoy heights. Last bus back is 8pm.
  • you don't need reservations for the shuttles, but they be a multi-bus wait during peak periods (especially long weekends). I have the cab companies on speed dial if the wait is long or consider public transit if it's more than an hour wait.
  • I recommend going to Grouse on the morning shuttle and then asked to dropped off at Capilano in the afternoon. Then ride the free Capilano shuttle back into the downtown.
  • did you hear the Grouse gondola offering a VIP deck now? It costs a little more.

pJdkKFNLYOE rx-ClLHK3Yg RJZcYalXkPg zutUe_0X3PA j1CrFihPqP0

Your profile doesn't say where you're from OP, but unless you plan to buy illegal drugs, hire hookers, or otherwise deliberately seek out the criminal element odds are that you'll find Vancouver to be a very safe place indeed - we're a low-crime-against-people kind of place compared to even small town USA.

If your flight's on time and you want to do both sites on day of arrival, xlxo's plan is solid. Why pay for a tour when there are free shuttles that allow you to spend as long as you want at each site? In my experience, all the group tours that combine Cap & Grouse are too short, especially the latter, to let you get your money's worth at the sites - and even the best tourguide in the world only has the time on the bus to entertain you (maybe an hour total, certainly not more than 90mins) as once you get to each place there are options of what to do so you can't all stay with your guide (on buses anyway - if you're talking about doing a small private tour then that's a whole different ballgame).

If your flight does run late, consider that Cap is easily done on embarkation morning - not as much to do as Grouse. So you could do Grouse day of arrival and Cap next morning (3 hours is enough time to go and return, spending a couple of hours on-site).

Sorry, I've gotten much less consistent in adding links to posts since the robo-captcha began.

Capilano Shuttle picks up at several hotels; from 4 Seasons Stop 2 on the Blue and Red routes are both a couple of blocks away. Blue shuttle is the better choice because the only earlier stop is at a hotel, not Canada Place (where the majority of people go to get on the bus). First-come, first-served, if there are no seats you don't get a ride - so consider even walking a little further down to the Sheraton Wall, it's a bit over half a mile.

Grouse Shuttle only picks up at Canada Place unless they tweak it this year (no sched yet; expected by early May, will be on the page linked).