Driving New Zealand South Island West Coast

In February 2018, DH and I will be sailing from Sydney to Auckland on the Azamara Journey. Upon disembarkation in Auckland, we will fly to the NZ south island for a driving tour of the west coast. I'm thinking of the following itinerary: Nelson, Abel Tasman National Park, Highway 6 drive from Greymouth to Westport, Punakaiki (Paparoa National Park & Pancake Rocks), Franz Josef Glacier and Queenstown. Any recommendations for a driver/tour guide? We don't want to drive ourselves.

Your scheduled attractions are exactly what my husband and I did ten years ago. I would suggest you rent a car and drive yourself. We are senior citizens and can be nervous drivers even in the USA but within a half a day felt comfortable driving on the 'wrong' side of the road. Traffic (except in Queenstown) was never heavy and New Zealand drivers are very polite. I would also add Mt. Cook to your plan if the weather is good. Plus, we took a day bus/boat tour to Milford Sound. We loved New Zealand!

Your scheduled attractions are exactly what my husband and I did ten years ago. I would suggest you rent a car and drive yourself. We are senior citizens and can be nervous drivers even in the USA but within a half a day felt comfortable driving on the 'wrong' side of the road. Traffic (except in Queenstown) was never heavy and New Zealand drivers are very polite. I would also add Mt. Cook to your plan if the weather is good. Plus, we took a day bus/boat tour to Milford Sound. We loved New Zealand!

That would have been lovely , however a lot has changed in 10 years . It is now very busy and Queenstown is an International airport where people fly in from Asia and hire cars that they have no idea of handling.

I suggest that if you are thinking about such a tour that you do not delay in booking accommodation or you will find it full......and someone else driving for you will be much safer these days.

Oh no! Really? We have been telling folks for years how much nicer driving and drivers are in New Zealand. We flew into Auckland, drove around north island before picking up second car at ferry landing in the south island. At that time, at least, you couldn't take a rental across to the other island.

We flew into Christchurch last year and drove the following route Christchurch - Mount Cook/Aoraki - Dunedin - Te Anau -Queenstown - Franz Josef - Arthur'sPass - Christchurch. It was pretty terrific, and fairly easy to drive around in an automatic rented from Apex.