My Viking Journey Payment Question

tubeamps

I was on My Viking Journey page this morning and I wanted to pay for the items in my shopping cart. This would be 3 optional shore excursions and the Silver drink package.

at checkout I got the message "could not process payment, extension no longer available or sold out".

anyone know what this means? I am 70 days out and booked the excursions at 87 days out. Everything shows confirmed on my calendar,

thanks for any info.

I was on My Viking Journey page this morning and I wanted to pay for the items in my shopping cart. This would be 3 optional shore excursions and the Silver drink package.

at checkout I got the message "could not process payment, extension no longer available or sold out".

anyone know what this means? I am 70 days out and booked the excursions at 87 days out. Everything shows confirmed on my calendar,

thanks for any info.

We aren't close enough to start booking excursions, but as I understand it you can't just leave them in your shopping cart and have them reserved. I think they are not actually reserved until you pay for them. Between day 87 and day 70 while they were in your cart but not paid for, they sold out. At least, that is my understanding. I read this somewhere, but I'm not sure where it was. I participate in other Viking groups/discussions.

thanks for any info.

It happened to me, you waited to long to pay for your optional tour , one of the tours was sold out. The only way to determine which tour was sold out is to go to the tour again and click on that tour, it will then say if it's closed out. Take your order off and go back to the cart. Having items in the cart doesn't guarantee you have saved yourself a spot on the tour. Good luck

It happened to me, you waited to long to pay for your optional tour , one of the tours was sold out. The only way to determine which tour was sold out is to go to the tour again and click on that tour, it will then say if it's closed out. Take your order off and go back to the cart. Having items in the cart doesn't guarantee you have saved yourself a spot on the tour. Good luck

Ah - I thought that was the case. Must remember that when my excursions open up! I have the date marked on my calendar!

Well, as Fpacifico stated, I screwed up and lost our reservations. Fortunately we were still able to book the included excursions for these ports and was able to add one optional excursion.

Thanks for the learning experience.:)

Well, as Fpacifico stated, I screwed up and lost our reservations. Fortunately we were still able to book the included excursions for these ports and was able to add one optional excursion.

Thanks for the learning experience.:)

Sometimes the tour you want may open up so keep checking and check on the ship, that was another recommendation from another. Glad that you at least got something

• 2 weeks later...
Yea, I found out from Viking when it happened to me and my friend. And we had gotten up at 3 am and in the time it took us to go through each day, tours were sold out. It sucks and I did complain

Same thing happened to me. In my opinion, this is a major downfall for Viking,

Same thing happened to me. In my opinion, this is a major downfall for Viking,

I kind of disagree with it being a major downfall; Viking has bigger problems with its shorex booking system--like not publishing the choices far enough in advance of when booking opens, like moving you to another time slot without telling you, like not being able to see the time slots until booking opens, like not having a working waitlist for tours.

That people fail to read the fine print when booking is not a major downfall, it just means that the caveat--booking is not complete until you have paid for it-- needs to be placed more prominently.

I hate their whole excursion policy. It's ridiculous that anyone has to get up at 3 AM to hopefully reserve a spot on an excursion. Unfortunately on the Cuba cruise, we must stay with Viking excursions, so at the mercy of whatever is left over by the time ability to book gets to my DV category. Fortunately will be doing our own thing on the other stops.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is nothing stopping you from trying to book an optional tour while on board. They even post some in the Viking Daily (I bet the ones that are not full). Also while on board go to the desk and get the next days map so you can have it.

There is nothing stopping you from trying to book an optional tour while on board. They even post some in the Viking Daily (I bet the ones that are not full). Also while on board go to the desk and get the next days map so you can have it.

That's true but only if you are willing to take what is available when you finally go to book.

The most popular tours sell out quickly, sometimes before they even open to the DV category (the largest of the bunch). People know the system now and everybody is online at Midnight PST to book their tours. Viking has no waitlist system, so they have no way of knowing where and when they should be adding more buses or time slots to a give tour.

That's true but only if you are willing to take what is available when you finally go to book.

The most popular tours sell out quickly, sometimes before they even open to the DV category (the largest of the bunch). People know the system now and everybody is online at Midnight PST to book their tours. Viking has no waitlist system, so they have no way of knowing where and when they should be adding more buses or time slots to a give tour.

Thanks to the OP and to Peregrina for sharing this info. We are looking forward to our first Viking Ocean cruise but hadn't heard about this issue before. I guess I will set my alarm for Midnight PST on the appropriate day to try my hand at this lottery. It's not just Viking though. We've had similar experiences with Eiffel Tower Tickets and tickets for the Ann Frank house (all of those tickets seem to evaporate as soon as they are released too). Fingers crossed everyone!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks to the OP and to Peregrina for sharing this info. We are looking forward to our first Viking Ocean cruise but hadn't heard about this issue before. I guess I will set my alarm for Midnight PST on the appropriate day to try my hand at this lottery. It's not just Viking though. We've had similar experiences with Eiffel Tower Tickets and tickets for the Ann Frank house (all of those tickets seem to evaporate as soon as they are released too). Fingers crossed everyone![/quote

I don't think this is necessarily an "issue" at all. I didn't book too many optional excursions for the two cruises we've booked. When I did, however, I did NOT get up in the middle of the night. I also was not in the first category (suites or whatever) to be able to book and I got what I wanted. Yes, a few excursions were full at that time, but it was only a few. On our 2015 cruise, I also got pretty much what I wanted. The same is true on another similar line we use - we can usually book an excursion, or if not, we are waitlisted and then make it on the excursion later after boarding the ship. If something isn't open, I would keep trying, pick something else, or try to do the same excursion using a third party (private or shared with Roll Call members), rental car, etc. There's always the included tour as a fallback excursion, and most of them are pretty good, in my opinion.

I did get up at 1 AM to do our tours as I was worried...we only did included ones but we wanted early ones so that we could do our own thing after. I agree that it is ridiculous. However, if it was 8 AM Pacific it would be even more ridiculous for me as I am one of the few who are still working full time and I would have no way to book then. Don't know what the solution is, but as it stands it is pretty silly..my husband couldn't believe that I set the alarm to get up and confirm the tours then went back to bed to get up at 5 AM.

We did not book any "extra" tours...for that we would always go private. I was just worried about the included tours.

Perhaps philw1776 et al should realise that Viking is NOT an American cruise line; it is from The Rest Of The World, it is run from The Rest of The World and will have many passengers from The Rest of The World seeking to book excursions. With this in mind, is there any valid reason for Viking to schedule excursion booking times to suit east and west American coasts, which are not in The Rest of The World? Or did he mean east and west Atlantic coasts? If there is a problem, perhaps an American cruise line could suit better. Perhaps?

Perhaps philw1776 et al should realise that Viking is NOT an American cruise line; it is from The Rest Of The World, it is run from The Rest of The World and will have many passengers from The Rest of The World seeking to book excursions. With this in mind, is there any valid reason for Viking to schedule excursion booking times to suit east and west American coasts, which are not in The Rest of The World? Or did he mean east and west Atlantic coasts? If there is a problem, perhaps an American cruise line could suit better. Perhaps?

Rawmac, really. We're talking about what time in the US we need to get up to schedule our tours. Philw isn't the one with the issue

Do we need to sign up for the included excursions? Our cruise is not until November.

Thanks

Yes, you do need to sign up for the included excursions. It is necessary to choose a time slot and get your tickets.

Hopefully, you have registered at MyVikingJourney.com already as this is where you will have to go to book your excursions. You can find out when booking opens for you on MyVikingJourney (which will tell you how many days until booking opens) or on your Viking invoice (which will give you the date).

Viking may be owned by a Norwegian family but it is marketed very heavily in the US, such that over 80% of guests live in the United States and Canada. The other less than 20% of passengers are from the UK, Australia and New Zealand. If Viking were to move the time it opens booking from midnight Los Angeles time to midnight New York City time, the only people who would be inconvenienced are the 10% of passengers who live in the UK, where booking would open at 5am instead of 8 am.