Looking for a new camera

saffy12

In preparation for our upcoming Alaskan cruise in August, I have decided it's time to update my old trusty 5mp Olympus camera. She's done well for me, but is 15 years old now, so it's time for me to get something a bit newer.

Specifically, after reading all the trip reports and seeing close up pictures of wildlife, I want to find something with a good optical zoom. Other than that, what I want is something that costs $200, fits in my pocket, and requires no thought before taking award winning photos!

Obviously, that's a bit tongue in cheek, but really, a small point-and-shoot that doesn't require too much $ (I can up the budget, but don't want to be spending $1000) or too much thought to use, but will take pictures better than either my phone or current camera will (otherwise, I don't need to bother).

Does anyone have suggestions where I should start looking to fit that bill?

I'm currently looking at the Sony DSC HX50v/b. As a professional, I really don't want to haul my DSLR and all the lenses around on vacation, but still want to get some good shots. This one has 20.4 megapixels and a 30x optical zoom (you want high optical zoom, not digital zoom). Found it on Amazon for $149.90. The MP will be high enough quality for a photo book after the cruise but the size is going to be small enough for me to take everywhere.

I have spent some time looking, once I decided I needed a new compact camera that is waterproof (snorkel Alaska!) . I decided the Olympus TG-4 most closely meets my needs and have tried to purchase one for the last 10 days. It seems everyone, including the Olympus store itself, is out of stock unless one wants an international model. Finally found one at Roberts for $349 today.

Folks on this board were once raving about the Panasonic Lumix FZ300 which has a constant f2.8 24x optical zoom. Won't fit in your jacket pocket but seems to be an outstanding bridge camera -- about $500, more or less.

There are earlier models, I believe the FZ270 or something which might b still available at a lower price.

I replaced my big (heavy) super-zoom camera with a Panasonic DMC-ZS40; the newer model is a ZS50. Great pocketable super zoom camera with a view finder if the lighting makes the big LCD unusable. Currently the ZS50 is available on sale at Costco.

Thanks for all the responses! I think i've finally decided that I want to get the Panasonic ZS50, especially since it shows on the Costco website for $230 which is a great price. Unfortunately, of course, they also seem to be out of stock on it, and no place else has that either. I'm guessing it has been updated, but I like the lower megapixel (and price!) that model has.

Oh well, back to the drawing / researching board!

Thanks for all the responses! I think i've finally decided that I want to get the Panasonic ZS50, especially since it shows on the Costco website for $230 which is a great price. Unfortunately, of course, they also seem to be out of stock on it, and no place else has that either. I'm guessing it has been updated, but I like the lower megapixel (and price!) that model has.

Silver version is available at Amazon for $289.

https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-LUMIX-DMC-ZS50K-Travel-Viewfinder/dp/B00RBG6GBS?th=1

Dave

I replaced my big (heavy) super-zoom camera with a Panasonic DMC-ZS40; the newer model is a ZS50. Great pocketable super zoom camera with a view finder if the lighting makes the big LCD unusable. Currently the ZS50 is available on sale at Costco.

The latest in the line is the Panny DMC-ZS70. The ZS60's are still available

Big mistake, IMHO of changing from the 12MP in the ZS50 to the 18.1MP of the ZS-60 and 20.3MP of the ZS70 - loses on low light performance......

Thanks for all the help! I was able to track down a zs50 at a Costco sort of near me. They are definitely disappearing but a few stores still had them. And the price dropped today too so I got it for $199 - my desired price point! Now I just need to figure out how to use it!

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app