Things to do in Portland, ME

biojeep

What is there to do in Portland within walking distance of pier without going on an excursion?

Eat at any number of nationally noted restaurants in the Old Port area (Portland has repeatedly been ranked in the top 10 "foodie" destinations in the US).

Tour and shop the Old Port area.

Longfellow home and museum.

Victorian mansion museum.

Portland Museum of Art

Maine Children's Museum

Portland Observatory

Brewery tour of Allagash Brewery

Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad

Windjammer cruises of Casco Bay

Casco Bay Ferry's "Mailboat run" to 5 islands

If you are interested in going out on a Lobster Boat, Lucky Catch does an excellent tour. We helped bait traps and band the claws. Lucky Catch has a working agreement with the Portland Lobster Co. If you purchase one of the lobsters, they will cook it for you.

Eat at any number of nationally noted restaurants in the Old Port area (Portland has repeatedly been ranked in the top 10 "foodie" destinations in the US).

Tour and shop the Old Port area.

Longfellow home and museum.

Victorian mansion museum.

Portland Museum of Art

Maine Children's Museum

Portland Observatory

Brewery tour of Allagash Brewery

Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad

Windjammer cruises of Casco Bay

Casco Bay Ferry's "Mailboat run" to 5 islands

Some specific food suggestions (not chowder) and more casual type dining there. Will be there in October....first time for this port.

Some specific food suggestions (not chowder) and more casual type dining there. Will be there in October....first time for this port.

Nearly all of our dining is casual in Portland. (Hey, it's considered okay to attend the Governor's Ball wearing Bean boots!) The main problem is most cruise ships leave before the dinner hour, so I'll try to list only those that are open for lunch or early dinner.

Harding Lee Smith has 4 restaurants in Portland, any of which are excellent:

Boone's Fish House and Oyster Room: seafood, right on the waterfront

The Grill Room: Steak, seafood, pizza

The Corner Room: Italian

The Front Room: Comfort food, daily brunch

Nosh Kitchen Bar: burgers, anything pork including bacon dusted fries

Duck Fat: Burgers and sandwiches, fries cooked in duck fat

King's Head: gastro pub, great food, large craft beer selection, on the waterfront

Great Lost Bear: (a cab ride) largest craft brew pub in New England, nationally known, over 70 local craft brews, pub food

Eventide Oyster House: seafood

Ribollita: Italian

Novare Res Bier Cafe: craft beer, pub food

Bull Feeney's: Irish and New England

Petite Jacqueline: french country fare

Nearly all of our dining is casual in Portland. (Hey, it's considered okay to attend the Governor's Ball wearing Bean boots!) The main problem is most cruise ships leave before the dinner hour, so I'll try to list only those that are open for lunch or early dinner.

Harding Lee Smith has 4 restaurants in Portland, any of which are excellent:

Boone's Fish House and Oyster Room: seafood, right on the waterfront

The Grill Room: Steak, seafood, pizza

The Corner Room: Italian

The Front Room: Comfort food, daily brunch

Nosh Kitchen Bar: burgers, anything pork including bacon dusted fries

Duck Fat: Burgers and sandwiches, fries cooked in duck fat

King's Head: gastro pub, great food, large craft beer selection, on the waterfront

Great Lost Bear: (a cab ride) largest craft brew pub in New England, nationally known, over 70 local craft brews, pub food

Eventide Oyster House: seafood

Ribollita: Italian

Novare Res Bier Cafe: craft beer, pub food

Bull Feeney's: Irish and New England

Petite Jacqueline: french country fare

Yikes :eek:... I was hoping for just a couple of suggestions....now you've made it really hard :D:D

Yikes :eek:... I was hoping for just a couple of suggestions....now you've made it really hard :D:D

Personal favorites: King's Head, Bull Feeney's, Grill Room, Petite Jacqueline, Duck Fat.

Personal favorites: King's Head, Bull Feeney's, Grill Room, Petite Jacqueline, Duck Fat.

That's what I was hoping for...also how about a good lobster roll...have never had one.

That's what I was hoping for...also how about a good lobster roll...have never had one.

My personal favorite is at my camp on the lake. ;p So, I don't buy them too often, as I can make my own for far less. I've liked Portland Lobster Co (right close to dock), but I've heard their quality has dropped (can't confirm). Becky's Diner, down Commercial St a few blocks has good rolls, and lobster "in the rough" (plastic basket on picnic tables on the waterfront).

My personal favorite is at my camp on the lake. ;p So, I don't buy them too often, as I can make my own for far less. I've liked Portland Lobster Co (right close to dock), but I've heard their quality has dropped (can't confirm). Becky's Diner, down Commercial St a few blocks has good rolls, and lobster "in the rough" (plastic basket on picnic tables on the waterfront).

Thank you so very much... I don't think we'll have time to come to your camp (;p) but Becky's Diner sounds just about right :p

I'll toss in Jay's Oyster Bar for lunch. It's on a pier and tucked into the corner of D'Millo's parking lot. D'Millo's is also a good choice... it's actually a floating restaurant (used to be a car ferry). Ri Ra's has an outside upper deck that looks out over the water... it's right next to the Casco Bay Lines ferry garage. Andy's Old Port Pub is good food...locals like it. But you won't see the water. http://www.andysoldportpub.com/menu.pdf

Here's a suggestion... take the 10AM mailboat ferry to get out on the water and see the bay/islands. But buy a ticket to Cliff Island (the furthest one out). It will cost less than a "mailboat run" ticket, $16 vs. $11.55. The only thing you won't get is the paper placemat map. ;) You can print a map before you go if you feel you need one. Across Commercial street from the pier the ferry is on, and behind the Hilton Garden Inn, is a very good bakery called the Standard Baking Co. Best coffee and baked goods! Grab something for the boat ride. You'll be back in town in time for a late lunch... around 1PM. Ask what time it gets back to Portland when you buy your ticket. The ferry is two piers south of the cruise ship pier. VERY close and a very easy walk. Jay's, Ri Ra's and D'Millo's are all on the next two piers past the ferry.

The shopping is great in this area. Tons of cute shops.

If you like beer and breweries... check this out: https://themainebrewbus.com/

Edited by MEcruzr

• 4 months later...

There is the duckboat tour of Portland. An amphibian vehicle which leaves from the corner of Commercial St and Custom House St. There is a land portion of the tour then they go in the water. You'll get Portland's history. Also a fire truck tour. If Portland which leaves from Commercial St. They usually have trolleys on Commercial St transporting people around town. Lots of shopping in quaint shops. You'll love Portland

Sent from my iPhone using Forums