Live From The Mariner 13-24 May 2017 (Lite)

Hi, all. The Boss and I are taking the Regent Alaska cruise "San Francisco to Vancouver - Icons of the West" cruise. This is a 25th Anniversary Regent cruise and promises to be a memorable one especially since our good friends John and Karen will be onboard. Anyone cruising with us, please feel free to contribute to this thread since it is our way to share our experiences with everyone.

About us: We are in our mid 50s living in south Florida. I am retired military, and, unlike some of the tough retired Army types on these boards, I am retired Air Force which means that the most austere deployments I had meant that the Marriott was booked and had to stay in Motel 6. I still have post traumatic stress from not having room service available 24/7. I am currently working as a government contractor program manager supporting initiatives to counter threat networks in Latin America. The Boss is an orthopedic nurse working at a Catholic Hospital in Fort Lauderdale. She may be quiet, but can make this old dog straighten up and fly right with just one death look from her German-Sicilian dagger eyes.

We are departing tomorrow, 10 May, for a couple of precruise days in San Francisco. Our current plan is to arrive late tomorrow night, check-in at the Fairmont Hotel and rack up some Zs. The next couple of days consist of:

Thursday:

Walk the Golden Gate Bridge (round trip)

Tommy's Mexican Bar for medicinal Margaritas

Go to the SFO Giants vs. Cincinnati Reds baseball game

Friday:

Meet John and Karen at the Hotel

Attend a private tour of the Sonoma Valley Vineyards (you starting to pick up a theme here already?)

Dinner in Chinatown

Saturday:

Head out to the cruiseport around 1100

Immediately upon check-in, attend the kick off Margarita and Bloody Mary Society meeting.

I need to switch to my phone so I can load up a couple of pics using tapatalk, which is so much easier for posting pics. BTW, most pics I post will be taken either from my Iphone 6 Plus or my Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS60 4K Wi-Fi Digital Camera.

Z and TB

Ok, it's me again from my phone so I can post some pics. Our itinerary is as follows:

b1149a9b607096b21bb6ae506b6bb4e2.jpg

I can also be very OCD about trip planning. I have an entire itinerary loaded into my calendar using "Trip It" and use a checklist for all aspects from packing to booking tours. Below is an example of my planning OCD, or my OPlan, using an excel spreadsheet:

df50d05d7a4bdf8152607a178b4b4982.jpg

Z and TB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Zqueeze1

Must be an Air Force thing; I'm retired USAF and that looks just like my Outlook calendar when we cruise. Arrival and departure times, excursion times and descriptions, dining reservations, etc...

You can take the boy outta the military, but...

My dad was Air Force so I am a bit partial ��

Great introduction. We have sailed with you both before so I can assure passengers that spend time with you onboard that they will have a fun time

We will really enjoy following your adventures (and possible mis-adventures ��)

Jackie and Dennis

Hi Z, I was thrilled you started this blog! You are always entertaining & informative!! SO impressed with the charts etc! Wow! Fingers crossed in 10 ways we will see you Friday & ready to party ( John will sleep on the flight me not so much!! ) us old folks need our rest you know.

Fly safe! Hugs , K & J

OH NO! A Margarita/Blood Mary Society meeting that I'm gonna miss....oh the horror! (giggle!). I hope that you'll have one (or more!) for me, as we'll be there in spirit!

I'll be following along with your blog! Best to Pam....have fun and be safe!

Linda and John

UUNetBill: so true. If you make it down to Charleston, stop by my alma mater and say hi for me.

Travelcat and Mudhen: Good to hear from you guys and miss yous all.

1Teach53: See you on Friday morning!

Today is flyaway day and we are heading out to the airport at 2PM for a 530PM flight. We used FF miles and are flying business class on American Airlines' 777-300 widebody aircraft. The Boss has directed that I generously get 2/3 of a suitcase because "she needs the extra room for her stuff." I guess we are not doing too bad since we are towing two suitcases, a carry-on, and a backpack.

Z and TB

Love the spreadsheet! And looking forward to all your posts.

Had to laugh about the Wrangell city highlights tour. Not much there, but the people are really friendly and nice. We went on a long straight up and down hike--not your thing I know--which was a great workout.

The Sea otter excursion is one of my favorites.

UUNetBill: so true. If you make it down to Charleston, stop by my alma mater and say hi for me.

Travelcat and Mudhen: Good to hear from you guys and miss yous all.

1Teach53: See you on Friday morning!

Today is flyaway day and we are heading out to the airport at 2PM for a 530PM flight. We used FF miles and are flying business class on American Airlines' 777-300 widebody aircraft. The Boss has directed that I generously get 2/3 of a suitcase because "she needs the extra room for her stuff." I guess we are not doing too bad since we are towing two suitcases, a carry-on, and a backpack.

Z and TB

I believe you and I share the same alma mater, but I'm a little older - Class of 73, November Co.

I believe you and I share the same alma mater, but I'm a little older - Class of 73, November Co.

I'm class of 82, India Co!

Ok. We left the house 15 minutes early on a Lincoln SUV Airport limo. After checking in, we found the memorial for local area military folks that gave their all in the line of duty. I have one of my guys who is in this memorial.

c07ffe056ca7a24399d283901e6747ee.jpg

We are finally on our way to SFO. Here is The Boss in her 777-300ER business class seat:

efcd439ea0b8cfb967e551c7bbd417bf.jpg

UUNetBill: so true. If you make it down to Charleston, stop by my alma mater and say hi for me

Z - I don't get down to Charleston too often (last time I was there was to take a ride in the Collins Foundation's B-17 which was beyond amazing) but if you're ever in the area let me know and I'll pop over and buy you a beer.

:beer-mug:

Love the spreadsheet! I am not sure this level of detailed planning is isolated to the Military because I do the same thing. I was never in the Military but I am a mathematician and I can't help myself. My family though has gotten used to it and start asking me to see the spreadsheet so they can see the plans for our vacation!

We loved Alaska - and our favorite port was Sitka. Have a great trip!

Lynn

It looks like many of us have our ways of organizing our trips. I am a retired Type A+ librarian and I make a table with similar information. It's all about being visual for me.

I'm with Lynnruns and love Sitka as well. You are taking my favorite excursion to see the sea otters. They are so much fun. Do take time to walk around the town afterwards. It's a friendly town! Enjoy your cruise. Alaska is special!

Pam (TB) does look great. I tend to not like Sitka as much as some other posters. We like Ketchikan because we can do the Crab Feast - the best crab (almost) in the world (the best is in Norway ...... the crabs are from Alaska but are not overfished so they are humungous).

There is a teeny tiny chance that we'll go to Alaska later in the summer - not sure yet. It is so local for us with Vancouver being only 50 miles away, Sailings in August are not doing well so Regent just put out a "children sail free" on the August 23rd itinerary. That is enough to keep many people away - not sure why Regent thought it would be a draw since many schools in the U.S. are back in session on or before that date. You guys should be fine - May is the best month (IMHO) to sail Alaska!

Assume that you have been to San Francisco before. They have some great food (we just got back from Southern California last night and despite the great food we are so happy to be home). Looking forward to hearing about your adventures in San Francisco. Our daughter keeps a spreadsheet similar to what you posted. Are you aware that you can print an itinerary from the Regent website that shows your excursions every day? It is in a monthly calendar format.

Keep the posts coming!

Are you aware that you can print an itinerary from the Regent website that shows your excursions every day? It is in a monthly calendar format.

Yes, the calendar does have items on the cruise that is good to have. I go further. Like Zqueeze1, I add other information that the Regent calendar does not include. On my calendar, I put my confirmation numbers and seat numbers for airlines and hotels, plus addresses and phone numbers for hotels. Your own personal forms can include what you want to see. What Regent puts in is just a start for me!

Sitka is a great port if you are interested in history and/or prefer to be active. We love both so it hit all the right interests for us. We had a great day kayaking, hiking and then visiting the national park and museums. It was perfect. It did not appear though to be a place for those wanting to go to a nice restaurant or those looking for craft cocktails (I could be wrong on this). If that is of interest the ship would be a better place for that.

This year Sitka should be even more interesting as it is the 150th anniversary of Russia signing the purchase agreement of Alaska over to the US. The national park will have some things planned to commemorate the event.

My son is disappointed that we missed this, but we got quite a bit out of the trip last year.

It will be a great time to go!

Lynn

Good morning. Thanks for the great info and tips.

Grifus: welcome and hope you help us make this a joint "live from" thread.

Bill: I'm going to hold you to that one.

We got into the hotel at midnight after a stressful experience in LAX. Our flight landed late and we had dirty five minutes to make our connection to SFO. We made it and we're surprised that our luggage also made it onboard. We are staying at the beautiful Fairmont hotel in a room with a view of Alcatraz and Coit tower. We can also see the cathedral where Joe DiMaggio married Marylin Monroe. It's now 0700 and we are getting ready to hit the road, but not before TB gets some chow. Here is a pic of our view:

1eadb6cddaab15aaf194e4d7fa3d2b2e.jpg

Next up: crossing the Golden Gate Bridge, followed by the best margaritas in the world, then time to "play ball!"

Z and TB

Roberto - wishing you and TB a great cruise! Looks like your itinerary is close to what Crisi and I do after you two leave us in San Fran next May off the Mariner, except we do Skagway vice Wrangell. Looking forward to your stories on this cruise and next year! Vandy

Roberto - wishing you and TB a great cruise! Looks like your itinerary is close to what Crisi and I do after you two leave us in San Fran next May off the Mariner, except we do Skagway vice Wrangell. Looking forward to your stories on this cruise and next year! Vandy

Great to hear from you and thanks for the well wishes. We are very excited about cruising next year with you and your lovely wife, Crisi.

Yesterday's weather was a bit gloomy in the morning. So, after bundling up, we headed out to the Golden Gate Bridge. As we were walking north, the sun came out and we peeled off clothes down to a polo shirt. What a gorgeous morning. It took us almost two hours including the time spent at the north end and about 12600 steps.

a570fb03ee6a3a6d1066f81e19d2cdc3.jpg

Afterwards, we headed to Tommy's in Little Russia. Although we had some of the best nachos and ceviche ever, the star of the show was the pitcher of margaritas that came with singing cherubs and angels on horns every time you sipped it.

b122763c6027719945d4455fd8649e78.jpg

What is the best thing to do after a lunch like that? A three hour nap prior to the ball game.

AT&T ballpark is beautiful with great site lines. However, it got chilly so we left a little early. Real shame because baseball is my drug of choice. I will watch any team anywhere (except for the Red Sox). Here is a shot of the view from our seats:

65c691661035d341c77a5d9f400d781b.jpg

Today: we meet up with old friends, hit the vineyards, and try Hunan style smoked ham.

Tomorrow: sail away day!

Z and TB