Cruise Around Australia & NZ in October-November or Feb-March-April

Need help deciding when to cruise. My choices are as indicated in subject/title. I know OZ/NZ summer runs December thru February and spring from September to November. This will be a 6+ week cruise so while I know there are no weather guarantees I'd like to try and schedule when it will be pleasant. Cruises that circumnavigate OZ all seem to be at these times of year. The NZ cruise before or after on same ship is a bonus

It's a long, expensive flight so I want to see as much as possible while "down under". Since I'm a senior solo traveler cruising is the best for me.

Thanks in advance for any advice you care to share

Cathy

Need help deciding when to cruise. My choices are as indicated in subject/title. I know OZ/NZ summer runs December thru February and spring from September to November. This will be a 6+ week cruise so while I know there are no weather guarantees I'd like to try and schedule when it will be pleasant. Cruises that circumnavigate OZ all seem to be at these times of year. The NZ cruise before or after on same ship is a bonus

It's a long, expensive flight so I want to see as much as possible while "down under". Since I'm a senior solo traveler cruising is the best for me.

Cathy

We did it Oct Nov, a couple of HOT days Darwin and Bali, cold (and I mean cold) Wellington and Dunedin, oct-nov you'd want to do top end first then NZ, Feb March the other way.

Personally I think NZ is best in February/March, the weather tends to be warmer and more settled then. But you'd want to do an Aussie circumnavigation after the NZ cruise otherwise it would be too humid up around the Top End.

The rainy season is during the Winter, December to March for Northern Australia. It will be hot in Northern Australia during that time. When we did our Top End of Australia cruise in Feb 2013 we had rain both days we were in Bali and all day that we were in Brisbane.

http://www.australia.com/en/facts/australias-seasons.html

The rainy season is during the Winter, December to March for Northern Australia. It will be hot in Northern Australia during that time. When we did our Top End of Australia cruise in Feb 2013 we had rain both days we were in Bali and all day that we were in Brisbane.

http://www.australia.com/en/facts/australias-seasons.html

December to March is Summer, not Winter.

• 3 months later...

Cathy

I assume you're booked on a circumnavigation this fall and wish you bon voyage! If you can, get to Sydney 3-4 days before you leave so you're not jet lagged in the first ports. I did this route and I advise you to have lots of layers! As previously mentioned it will be hot & humid (worse than Ohio in August) in the North of OZ but cold and windy in the South (Ohio in November).

Pick up a copy of Bill Bryson's book, In A Sunburned Country for an amusing travelogue on OZ. Get on your roll call for private tours. If you want to hold a Koala the best opportunity is Lone Pine Koala sanctuary in Brisbane. Other tours you can stand next to the koala but not hold it.

Bring Deet for black flys.

Have fun.

Paula

Former Buckeye also traveling the world solo:D

Transpacific Syd-San Diego 1/18/18

February / March would be much better for NZ. In October / November the weather will be unsettle and there's a fair chance of lots of rain. In any event remember that in NZ you should use SPF 50+ if you want to avoid ruining your holiday.