Customs at LAX

sellwingri

We'll be cruising to Australia and New Zealand and will be flying to Sydney through LAX. How much time do I need to give when returning? Before I make my plane reservations, I need an estimate on how long to give between arrival from AU and my next flight home (domestic to Chicago).

I agree. The wait is not so much for Customs, but for Immigration. Depending on how many international flights they are processing at the Immigration station, you can stand in line anywhere from 10-30 minutes, and there are often long walks from your gate. You have to retrieve your baggage, go through Customs and go back through TSA to your domestic flight.

I agree with the above, having flown Sydney to LAX many times I've had to wait from as little as 15 minutes to clear immigration, customs and have my bags in my hand and other times had to wait up to two hours.

Give at least 2 hours to ensure you have enough time.

I agree. The wait is not so much for Customs, but for Immigration. Depending on how many international flights they are processing at the Immigration station, you can stand in line anywhere from 10-30 minutes, and there are often long walks from your gate. You have to retrieve your baggage, go through Customs and go back through TSA to your domestic flight.

Only 30 minutes at LAX? Maybe once in a blue Moon. One hour plus is the more likely scenario.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We came through LAX last year and the line was horrendous. However, we have Global Entry and it took about 10 minutes to use the kiosk, give the receipt to the CBP agent, get our luggage and transfer it to our awaiting domestic flight. We used the kiosk, and it was a breeze. We walked past the long line.:):)

We were just in LAX the other day on a domestic flight but I could see the line for immigration.

I would allow 2 hours because your flight could be delayed and you might be on the type of line we saw and you need to also get to the gate of the next flight.

If you have Global Entry that would help.

I don't like stress so for me it would be a minimum of 2 hours.

Keith

Only 30 minutes at LAX? Maybe once in a blue Moon. One hour plus is the more likely scenario.

Yes, with the kiosk (Global Entry) for USA citizens twice in the last 5 months I was through this area at LAX in less than 30 minutes. It has improved significantly since the kiosk stations were put in. Longer wait if you are not a USA citizen.

Yes, with the kiosk (Global Entry) for USA citizens twice in the last 5 months I was through this area at LAX in less than 30 minutes. It has improved significantly since the kiosk stations were put in. Longer wait if you are not a USA citizen.

Don't confuse folks by suggesting that the kiosks are only for Global Entry.

• 2 weeks later...

>>>I need an estimate on how long to give between arrival from AU and my next flight home (domestic to Chicago).<<<

How long depends on if you are changing terminals and airlines.

If it is booked as one ticket on one airline with one terminal (Tom Bradley International Terminal?) 2 hours is fine.

If you arrive at TBIT and have to get to United, American or another airline in a different terminal, allow 3 hours. There isn't any secure transfer between most terminals.

>>>hours is fine.

If you arrive at TBIT and have to get to United, American or another airline in a different terminal, allow 3 hours. There isn't any secure transfer between most terminals.

Terminals 4, 5, 6, and 7, as well as TBIT, are all connected behind security, meaning that passengers already in this area can walk to any of these terminals without the need to exit and reclear security. :)

Terminals 4, 5, 6, and 7, as well as TBIT, are all connected behind security, meaning that passengers already in this area can walk to any of these terminals without the need to exit and reclear security. :)

Basically, Southwest (T1) and Delta (T2, T3) are outside the security wall.

There's now an airside shuttle between T2, T3 and TBIT. Runs every 5-10 minutes on a loop. Since T2 and T3 security lanes kinda suck right now, if you're arriving TBIT, reclear there and take the bus.