Viking Homelands Cruise - general questions

aquidneck1

Hi,

I am starting the planning process and am hoping for a bit of advice for those that have done this or will do it this summer.

1. Stockholm - is the sail out sufficient to see all of the archipelago scenery or should one schedule a boat cruise in the city. We will arrive a day before boarding.

2. Fjords - we want to see the fjords.

Does the sail in and out of Eidfjord provide this opportunity.

Does the cruise to Pulpit Rock Suffice

3. Eidfjord - has anyone done the Flam railway from Eidfjord and is this comparable to the round trip Norway in a Nutshell from Bergen.

We are trying to decide if we should spend an extra day in Bergen or if we will have seen as much as we want.

Thanks for your help.

Hi,

I am starting the planning process and am hoping for a bit of advice for those that have done this or will do it this summer.

1. Stockholm - is the sail out sufficient to see all of the archipelago scenery or should one schedule a boat cruise in the city. We will arrive a day before boarding.

Thanks for your help.

We did the sail in and it was pretty spectacular. Didn't see it all; woke up when we'd already entered. But it went on for at least an hour if not more. Btw - if you don't mind my asking based on your username - would you be from Little Rhody? I'm not there now but grew up there. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi CharTrav, yes from Little Rhody. I saw a post that you made elsewhere regarding the DMV. Gave me a good laugh.

So, would you do a boat tour in Stockholm? Thanks for any advice and for your many contributions to this forum.

Hi,

2. Fjords - we want to see the fjords.

Does the sail in and out of Eidfjord provide this opportunity.

Does the cruise to Pulpit Rock Suffice

3. Eidfjord - has anyone done the Flam railway from Eidfjord and is this comparable to the round trip Norway in a Nutshell from Bergen.

We are trying to decide if we should spend an extra day in Bergen or if we will have seen as much as we want.

Thanks for your help.

Stockholm has so much to offer and you will get to see the scenery on the sail out. I would say schedule other things for you time there. we went 3 days early.

There have only been a few to go to Eidfjord with Viking so far. Now with it being part of Homelands more will have reports soon. We scheduled 2 extra nights in Bergen after the cruise to go on the Norway IN A Nutshell experience. We did go to Flam on our cruise but did the included and the lookout while we were there and picked up the Fjord Safari and train on our return--round trip from Bergen the day after we disembarked. There is an excursion in Eidfjord that drives throughout the the countryside hitting many highlights without a final destination and then retracking your journey back to the ship that looks like the best option from what I've seen.

I see 2 excursions from Eidfjord that go to the railway and take part of the trip around either Flam or Voss. Those are the ones that I am hoping to get some feed back from so as to decide re the Norway in a Nutshell that you did.

Thanks for the Stockholm info.

Hi CharTrav, yes from Little Rhody. I saw a post that you made elsewhere regarding the DMV. Gave me a good laugh.

So, would you do a boat tour in Stockholm? Thanks for any advice and for your many contributions to this forum.

Glad to give you a laugh about the DMV. Took me a few years to undo the "favor" a guy at Wakefield DMV did for me. [emoji6]

I'd go with the response from Dauntless.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by CharTrav

I see 2 excursions from Eidfjord that go to the railway and take part of the trip around either Flam or Voss. Those are the ones that I am hoping to get some feed back from so as to decide re the Norway in a Nutshell that you did.

Thanks for the Stockholm info.

I wish there was time for me to do the Norway in a Nutshell. If you have time, that is what I would do. The Flam train excursion sold out immediately on our ship. The Voss train to Geilo still has over 100 empty seats open. I'm curious too if the Voss to Geilo train trip is very scenic and worthwhile.

I wish there was time for me to do the Norway in a Nutshell. If you have time, that is what I would do. The Flam train excursion sold out immediately on our ship. The Voss train to Geilo still has over 100 empty seats open. I'm curious too if the Voss to Geilo train trip is very scenic and worthwhile.

Though my post said something about driving and I haven't gone back to look at excursions since I'm not on this trip, I think the ione that you speak of that still has spaces available that would give you a good overview of the country side.

Though my post said something about driving and I haven't gone back to look at excursions since I'm not on this trip, I think the ione that you speak of that still has spaces available that would give you a good overview of the country side.

Thanks for respondong. Which excursion are you referring to that drives around the highpoints as a good option? I know the Bergen- Oslo Railway is well- known for connecting these 2 cities; this excursion is over 9 hours long. Someone posted that there were some pretty sights, but they suggested to bring a good book. I really don't want to read! Hopefully, more people will post on this excursion or I'll do the option you mentioned--just not sure which one.

Edited by Vikingfan#1

I am going to try to do the Norway in a Nutshell round trip to Bergen. I think that this will be more interesting and will avoid issues with luggage. We might just kayak in Eidfjord - although I am the only one who does not do much kayaking.

I am going to try to do the Norway in a Nutshell round trip to Bergen. I think that this will be more interesting and will avoid issues with luggage. We might just kayak in Eidfjord - although I am the only one who does not do much kayaking.

Viking does offer the Fjord Safari trip in Eidfjord but you might be able to do this on your own at a better price. This was a fun experience in Flam. If you do round trip w/ Active Noway for the nutshell experience it is included in that but not the regular trip. With the Safari trip, you don't have to do anything except look 'cute'.

HI, I don't see the offering in Eidfjord. I would love to do that but I am only seeing it in Flam - both on the web and also on the Viking site.

I may have to do it from Bergen but I can use Norway in a Nutshell and get a Fjord Cruise if not a Safari. The timeing works better for Norway in a Nutshell as they have a midday departure.

Kayaking is one of the sold out excursions on our ship!

HI, I don't see the offering in Eidfjord. I would love to do that but I am only seeing it in Flam - both on the web and also on the Viking site.

I may have to do it from Bergen but I can use Norway in a Nutshell and get a Fjord Cruise if not a Safari. The timeing works better for Norway in a Nutshell as they have a midday departure.

Maybe I saw that safari from Eidfjord last year but this year, you are right. The Norway in a Nutshell tour can be customized to fit your schedule, so what ever is going to work best for you is the right choice. In Flam, if you go and have the time, you can get to the viewpoint from the train station by van trip. 30 min there, 30 min at stop and 30 minutes back. Wonderful vantage point and a whole different perspective than always looking up.

Dauntless, you have been a great help. We do not go to Flam except if we do the Norway in a Nutshell or go on a Viking excursion from Eidfjord which appear to be booked early. We are in a lower cabin. I did check with the Kayak company there, and they do serve the cruise ship so nothing will be able to be booked independently if things stay as they are this year.

Thanks for respondong. Which excursion are you referring to that drives around the highpoints as a good option? I know the Bergen- Oslo Railway is well- known for connecting these 2 cities; this excursion is over 9 hours long. Someone posted that there were some pretty sights, but they suggested to bring a good book. I really don't want to read! Hopefully, more people will post on this excursion or I'll do the option you mentioned--just not sure which one.[/quote

The Voss' Gelio and Bergen railway is the tour I'm referring to. It will get you high in the mountains and keeps changing the scenery.. The natural beauty of Norway is something to behold. It's a loop route so you are not taking a journey somewhere and then returning on the same route. When nature supplies it and not Disney, it make take some time to make everything happen and you have more than 5-15 minutes for the ride. If you have been to some of US National Parks you have an idea of the pace. You can slowly absorb and not feel like it's a nature injection. The train part of the journey offers more space to walk around and not be cramped in the bus the whole time. You won't have to worry about if you make it back to the ship in time as it is offered by Viking. I guess you could stay on the ship and read the day it is docked but you are missing out on something that is being offered out of sight so why not see it if you are there already?

Thanks for respondong. Which excursion are you referring to that drives around the highpoints as a good option? I know the Bergen- Oslo Railway is well- known for connecting these 2 cities; this excursion is over 9 hours long. Someone posted that there were some pretty sights, but they suggested to bring a good book. I really don't want to read! Hopefully, more people will post on this excursion or I'll do the option you mentioned--just not sure which one.[/quote

The Voss' Gelio and Bergen railway is the tour I'm referring to. It will get you high in the mountains and keeps changing the scenery.. The natural beauty of Norway is something to behold. It's a loop route so you are not taking a journey somewhere and then returning on the same route. When nature supplies it and not Disney, it make take some time to make everything happen and you have more than 5-15 minutes for the ride. If you have been to some of US National Parks you have an idea of the pace. You can slowly absorb and not feel like it's a nature injection. The train part of the journey offers more space to walk around and not be cramped in the bus the whole time. You won't have to worry about if you make it back to the ship in time as it is offered by Viking. I guess you could stay on the ship and read the day it is docked but you are missing out on something that is being offered out of sight so why not see it if you are there already?

O.K. Thanks for the info. I'm definitely not taking this trip to read!!