Best for somone who doesnt like crowds!

MDgal76

Hi folks, I need your help! I have been on one cruise back in 2008 on the Carnival Conquest, balcony cabin out of Galveston and I loved it! I am trying to plan my second cruise. This time I am traveling with my husband, 9 yr old son and 12 yr old niece (no kids last time). Here are my issues:

1) My husband is a military vet who has issues with large crowds! He is afraid being on a crowded ship will give him anxiety! He understands that their will be crowds during embarkation, debarkation and the muster drill and is ok with that. He just really wants to know that there will be places on the ship where can get away from the crowds and just relax and do nothing. This is why I think a balcony room is a must. He can hang out on the balcony and not be bothered.

So would a large ship or smaller ship be better? Some say larger because there are more places to escape to.

2) I liked Carnival (hey it was cheap!) but really want to try RCL. A friends recommended NCL but I keep reading about the nickel and diming once on board.

How do you chose a cruise line?!?!? I liked having the set dinner time but I think with the kids and my husband they would want to do anytime dining. I am really looking for a cruise that will have most of the cost (minus tips and excursions) up front. I don't want to be surprised once on board that I have to pay for everything else. Also want a cruise where the kids have a lot to do and we can drop them off during the day.

We plan on going early Arpil or early June. We are in MD but were told not to leave out of Baltimore because the crowd there leaves much to be desired and were told we should leave from Miami or any other FL port. But we are open if we find the right cruise for the right price. Suggestions please? I have been researching and reading a ton of reviews but cant seem to decide.

Either/or, regarding ship size. Each size is designed for plenty of space for the allowed passengers.

The pool deck on sea days will always be crowded....same with when shows let out.....just hang back after shows and let the throngs of folks go elsewhere!

All lines have lots of "extra fee" items available....you are under no obligation to purchase them!

With the kids, I most recommend RCI. Carnival has some of the worst space-to-passenger ratios in the business, so I'd avoid them. Also, I recently cruised NCL Escape and it was the most crowded I have ever felt on a ship.

Royal Caribbean's middle size ships (Radiance or Voyager class) are not crowded and have plenty of places to escape to. Pool area can be crowded but the "adult" inside pool is usually a quieter area. The lounge up on top with the windows is usually a great place for peace and quiet. RCCL has good kids programs and plenty for them to do. The Voyager class ships (and larger) have what amounts to an indoor mall that soak up a lot of people so there are often smaller lounges with hardly anyone around. I've heard that even the mega-ships like Oasis class have space enough to not seem crowded but there's no avoiding the larger boarding crowds and lines for them.

Royal Caribbean Jewel and Serenade both do Southern Caribbean cruises out of Florida in April. Serenade does 11 nights, Jewel 7.

These are both Radiance Class ships, much smaller than the mega Oasis and Freedom Class.

The Grandeur would be perfect for you, conveniently leaves right out of your back yard. You might also consider the Celebrity Summit to Bermuda from Cape Liberty, New Jersey.

Holland American has some smaller ships too like the Veendam and Maasdam out of Boston in June. HAL attracts an older crowd, but, their ships are elegant and much smaller than the other leviathans floating around out there.

Jonathan

"We are in MD but were told not to leave out of Baltimore because the crowd there leaves much to be desired...." - not sure I understand this statement.

Roz

All of the mass market ships are crowded and feel that way, some more so than others. The only way you get around it is to move up to the luxury lines, which with children is not practical.

Don't forget Carnival! They are known for their fantastic kid's program. We have always found a quiet spot on Carnival ships. Often in the the very front or back of the ship with not many people here and with chaises. The older Carnival ships have 2100 passengers but others are 3100 passengers but to us they never seem crowded. Our last 2 RCCL had 4200 and you felt crowded! This was the Freedom.

If you let me know if you choose a Carnival ship and I can give you the email address for the Maitre'd. ( You can email him and request a table for 8- not 10 and a table along a wall, not a big round one in the middle if the dining room, etc. Make your subject 'Maitre'd' and I'll know its you. (Look at our favorite Carnival ship, the Sunshine. She used to be the Destiny but Carnival spent $155 million redoing her and they did!)

The space-passenger ratio is what makes ships crowded or feeling spacious. The best uncrowded ships tend to be in the premium, luxury and expedition market with a hefty price tag. Among the mid range ships, I thought Holland America was the least crowded, closely followed by Princess.

Definitely get a balcony cabin.

Consider a land vacation. So many options when it comes to weather, nature, beach, mountains, small places in all budget ranges from a cabin in the woods to hiking in the American West, small barrier beach islands on the East coast etc.

Royal Caribbean Jewel and Serenade both do Southern Caribbean cruises out of Florida in April. Serenade does 11 nights, Jewel 7...

The Jewel does all her Caribbean itineraries out of San Juan. The Serenade is still leaving from Port Everglades to the Caribbean.

"We are in MD but were told not to leave out of Baltimore because the crowd there leaves much to be desired...." - not sure I understand this statement.

Roz

A coworker who has been on multiple cruises and has left from various ports said the crowd leaving from Baltimore has always been very rude. Of course every one will have a different opinion on the crowds so I am just going by what she said.

Don't forget Carnival! They are known for their fantastic kid's program. We have always found a quiet spot on Carnival ships. Often in the the very front or back of the ship with not many people here and with chaises. The older Carnival ships have 2100 passengers but others are 3100 passengers but to us they never seem crowded. Our last 2 RCCL had 4200 and you felt crowded! This was the Freedom.

If you let me know if you choose a Carnival ship and I can give you the email address for the Maitre'd. ( You can email him and request a table for 8- not 10 and a table along a wall, not a big round one in the middle if the dining room, etc. Make your subject 'Maitre'd' and I'll know its you. (Look at our favorite Carnival ship, the Sunshine. She used to be the Destiny but Carnival spent $155 million redoing her and they did!)

Bonnie J, that would be awesome! I think we are looking at carnival because of our dates/costs. At the moment looks like Carnival Magic out of FL, Eastern Caribbean. The issue now is It's in Late August so hurricane season comes into play! Trying to read as much as possible about cruising during that time. But in the end there really is no way to be certain what mother nature has up her sleeve!

Passenger behavior can depend on the time you sail. I have found that summer cruises that are short - 3 to 4 days - will have large family reunion type groups that sweep through the ship like a school of fish, pushing others out of the way as it they were not there. I think you should try Carnival Pride out of Baltimore. Driving to the port is always a winner, and there are lots of places on her that you can go to be alone. The Spirit class of Carnival have a different layout than the other Carnival ships. There is an interior promenade on deck 3, on either side of the theater. There are tables for 2 along the wall where you can sit and look out at the ocean. It is also one of the less chilly places on the ship. EM

A coworker who has been on multiple cruises and has left from various ports said the crowd leaving from Baltimore has always been very rude. Of course every one will have a different opinion on the crowds so I am just going by what she said.

Maybe it's the DC and Philly crowd? Or just East Coast rudeness in general?

Roz

May seem counter intuitive but Oasis class ships would suit your needs. Tons of activities for the kids. Lots of open space for your husband. Promenade area has Boleros with seating for several hundred yet totally empty morning and after noon, only a few readers in there. Always easy to find a place to park up in the solarium area. Large library that is empty most of the time. Dazzles night club has two decks and is nearly empty all morning and afternoon and has floor to ceiling windows looking aft. Central park is very quiet during the day with great seating outside of Giovanna's and Vintages. For how big the ship is and carrying 6000 guests it is amazingly uncrowned. Going to the five or six shows at night you will never see a line if you show up 15 minutes early. Like any ship you just need to avoid the lunch hour crowd and the I must eat at 6:30 or I will die group. happy cruising

We can always find uncrowded places onboard on Carnival and Princess.

Walk the ship the first day to get a feeling of where things are.

Is he fine looking over crowds? How does he define crowds? No need to answer, just something to think about. Some family members freak out at Muster but are ok with crowds in the Adult areas. The Lido pool deck is usually crowded but the decks looking into the pool aren't.

On most ships there are loungers away from everybody. The Carnival ships we've sailed have more places off to the side places than our Princess ships.

On Carnival's indoor Promenade deck there's lots of seating off to the side, great people watching.

Problem with ATD.... on some nights you might have to wait a while for a table, and it can get a bit crowded while doing so. Also, the Carnival kids clubs start around 7, and sometimes meet at 6 for dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Roz

I agree with Roz. I cant figure out who would think Florida ports that usually have several large ships boarding at the same time would be less crowded than a port that has 1 mid-sized ship in port. I found parking to be easy, and crowds minimal from Baltimore. The size ships that use this port are comfortable, and have nooks with less people. The size of the ship is limited because of the Chesapeake bridges. I've enjoyed cruises to Bermuda, Bahamas, and New England/Canada from Baltimore. I love that I have no airfare costs adding on to my travel expenses. To me the only down-side to BMore is the fewer destinations available.

I would suggest that you board in the afternoon wherever you sail from. So many people show up for as-soon-as-possible boarding, that pre-noon is a guarantee of waiting in crowds. Also disembark either with the first of the self-disembark walk-off group, or plan to leave with the last group. If you choose a itinerary with tender ports, plan afternoon excursions, and relax onboard while others line up for early transport.

Roz

Do you suppose that the term "... the crowd there,,," meant not numbers of people but the class of people who live/board ships there?

Certainly elitist - and hard to explain regardless of meaning. I do not think that Bayonne, NJ or Miami, FL are known as haunts of the upper classes - and certainly their population density would match that of Baltimore.

Better to ignore that piece of advice.

I took it to mean the class or type of passengers. All kinds of people sail from every port. I wouldn't avoid an embarkation port because of the perceived demographics of the port city.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Forums mobile app