Balcony Dwellers Question

CCC3

Completely subjective, I know, so do not flame me. I also know that any day at sea is better than going to work. I am also aware that someone over the course of months/years may have asked a similar question. So that being said, here is my question for balcony-suite people...

My family has only done 7 day cruises, and we find a balcony the right category to fit our needs. Hoping someday to snag that perfect suite, but it hasn't happened yet. I am wondering, though, if on a shorter cruise...say 3-5 days...people who normally book balconies-suites find inside rooms okay? I love the view & the space a balcony offers but wonder if it would matter on a short 3 day weekend type cruise. What are your thoughts? Insides are so inexpensive on short cruises it makes them a little more attractive when looking at booking. Thank you for your opinions!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While we prefer balconies, there have been times when we've booked an inside or an OV to save money, or to squeeze in an extra bonus cruise for the year. It's fine! When we have that type of cabin, we spend much less time there and more time in the public areas of the ship. On most ships, there are outdoor spots that are quiet enough to enjoy (usually the outdoor promenade deck on 4)

No matter how long (or short) a cruise is....I can't do an inside cabin. If I can't afford a balcony...I will wait until I have enough money saved up to book one.

Some people love inside cabins...I can't do the confined, no natural light thing. To me it feels like being in a cave and makes me very uncomfortable.

Balcony versus inside:....all a matter of personal taste...and only you can decide what is right for you.

No matter how long (or short) a cruise is....I can't do an inside cabin. If I can't afford a balcony...I will wait until I have enough money saved up to book one.

Some people love inside cabins...I can't do the confined, no natural light thing. To me it feels like being in a cave and makes me very uncomfortable.

Balcony versus inside:....all a matter of personal taste...and only you can decide what is right for you.

Our sentiment exactly....very well stated!! To 'each his own'..... :)

We get balcony on 7 day cruises as a matter of course, but we have used adjoining insides before when the whole family was going and we needed to save money. We will probably not do that again but it worked for us then.

On shorter cruises we always get an inside cabin unless balcony is a really good deal, which is very rare on those ships. We do not care about a window or porthole; if we don't have a balcony we would just as soon be inside and save the money. We don't mind the dark; it helps with afternoon naps which are the only times we are in there other than sleeping or changing for dinner. Some folks don't like that and we understand.

I have been in an inside cabin and a balcony probably equal times. Each time I had an inside it was because price was too good to pass up or it was a port heavy itinerary. If you are traveling with more than 2 people I find the inside cabs are very tight. Even for a 5 day it's still kind of crowded. A 3 day will be ok I think, the trip will be over so fast. For just two people an inside will be just fine. I am not sure I can even give you a fair comparison with a suite to an inside. However if all you've ever sailed in is a suite I wouldn't recommend the inside as you will be disappointed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My next cruise is a balcony, but I have had inside rooms for 14 day cruises, ocean view, etc. I have no problem at all with an inside. Everyone is different, and anyone can get what they want and can afford.

I'd say it would depend on the itinerary and what you're planning to do. If it's a very port intensive and you're only in your cabin at night, go for the inside. We're probably in the minority that don't care for balcony's. We seem to always get noisy neighbors and balcony door slammers and end up irritated that we paid extra. We also find we don't spend much time on the balcony. There's nothing wrong with inside cabins and I love the sleep I get in them. You could always compromise and do an oceanview. Sometimes they are in great locations.

I recommend you give it a try on a short cruise but be fair and pick a good location so you can really compare. We don't spend much time in the cabin so I always go with the most affordable option.

There are times when we don't want to pay the price for a suite or balcony, in whch case we will book an oceanview. No desire to go back to an inside.

I'm the same way. I think I'd be too claustrophobic myself.

I cruise in both and actually prefer insides on Northern Europe sailings where it never gets completely dark. If there's not much of a price difference I'll book a balcony, otherwise and inside is fine for me as long as there's a wraparound promenade deck.

Depending on the cruise, we go with a balcony, or at minimum a large ocean view. We did inside once and we will never do that again. We also did an interior promenade on Navigator and wouldn't bother with that agai. For the price diff we'd rather see the ocean, sun, and evening over folks walking around the promenade.

We have done both inside and balcony. I much prefer balcony because I like to read and it's quiet on the balcony. Depending on the ship, one can find quiet spots to read if you have an inside cabin. I have found that being a D+ sometimes balcony is the same price as an inside or worth the small difference.

We book anything that fits our budget at the time, short, longer, inside, outside, balcony and our first suite is coming up on a 5 day Vision. If the deal is there book it. You can adapt to any cabin, any cruise and your first premise is correct, any day cruising is better than one at the office.

Pretty much prefer oceanview. Balconies are nice in that you can get some fresh air, check out the port, etc. without going out of your cabin, but we really find we don't use it enough to make it worthwhile on most cruises. Not a fan of inside (done one twice -- 7 day and a 4 day), but wouldn't rule out booking one again on a short cruise. Wasn't that bad, but I do prefer having the daylight!

Pretty much prefer oceanview. Balconies are nice in that you can get some fresh air, check out the port, etc. without going out of your cabin, but we really find we don't use it enough to make it worthwhile on most cruises. Not a fan of inside (done one twice -- 7 day and a 4 day), but wouldn't rule out booking one again on a short cruise. Wasn't that bad, but I do prefer having the daylight!

Depends on where we are going. We've been to the Caribbean many, many times. We get an inside room. New itinerary, new ports, new part of the globe? Balcony.

When we do get an inside room, I purchase some LED flicker lights to leave on in the bathroom at night. There is a little bit of light that comes through at the bottom of the door, but the LED lights have just enough additional light to get around once all the lights are out.

And the inside rooms are great for naps!! I always need one or 2 on a cruise.

I've done everything from inside to JS and while I prefer a balcony, if I can save serious money booking an oceanview or inside I have no problem with it. We don't spend much time in the cabin anyway, and as a previous poster said you can adapt (at least we can) to any cabin type. At this stage, as a serious cruise addict, just get me on the ship :D

We've only been in inside cabins because we only cruise when my mother in law is treating the family and she chooses insides because it's 12 people (6 rooms). I've always found it fine. We are there to explore the ship, we've always found lovely spots to hang out.

I'm fairly easy going and low maintenance. And I also am akin to happily accept any gift of a cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, if it's my "big" vacation, like my upcoming 12 trip, I get a balcony. Mostly because on longer trips, and when the weather is nice, but not hot, I find the need for more relaxing quite time, or eating a simple breakfast on the balcony. Plus the views are better.

For a short weekend trip, I am fine with the inside cabin. The reason is, I spend my time on the pool deck, watching the belly flop contest, and drinking frozen cocktails. It's a different atmosphere, and I'm not really in the cabin much on those trips.

I don't mind windows, and I before an outside cabin, and I think the inward facing cabins on the mega ships are just fine.

For us, it is about the trip, where it is going, and what we plan on doing. We almost at least try to have a window.

Our sentiment exactly....very well stated!! To 'each his own'..... :)

My sentiments as well. I love my balcony and I use my cabin/balcony quite a bit during the day. If I were one of those who say "you are only in the cabin to sleep and shower", then maybe an inside would work. ;p:D