Talk to me about Rxs

Cabron

do you take any on a cruise that are pre-filled? A doc prescribed me something (don't remember what) about 20 years ago in advance of a trip to the interior of Mexico. Had it filled but never needed it.

Do you pre-fill? If so, what?

What do you stock up on when visiting a pharmacy in a foreign country's port of call?

CIPRO is a great antibiotic that you can get over the counter in Mexico. Kills about everything.

Cipro also causes damage to your body. Lots of medical studies out there on it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Some of my American friends stock up on acetaminophen with codeine when they visit Canada. It is over-the-counter here but it needs a prescription in the U.S. I don't know if it's illegal for U.S. citizens to re-enter the country with it, without a prescription.

Besides our regular prescription drugs, the only thing I have "pre-filled" is amoxycillin for dd, as she is special needs and I am afraid to intermix anything I don't know about with her current meds. In 21 CCL cruises I have never needed to give it to her, but it is there as a safety net. I have never bought any drug in a foreign country, as their ingredients and additives may differ from what we get locally.

I had a kidney stone on the second day of our Mediterranean cruie last fall. Went to a Pharmacy when we got in to port in Italy. Asked for an anibiotic and recieved one in powder form that I mixed with 8 oz. of water for about $6. No prescription needed. Worked great. Would have cost me over $100 with doctor visit here in the US.

I did stop at about 5 more Pharmacies the rest of the cruise and bought more. BTW, France would not sell them without RX, but Italy was fine wih it.

I had a kidney stone on the second day of our Mediterranean cruie last fall. Went to a Pharmacy when we got in to port in Italy. Asked for an anibiotic and recieved one in powder form that I mixed with 8 oz. of water for about $6. No prescription needed. Worked great. Would have cost me over $100 with doctor visit here in the US.

I did stop at about 5 more Pharmacies the rest of the cruise and bought more. BTW, France would not sell them without RX, but Italy was fine wih it.

Just wondering, why would you take an antibiotic for a kidney stone?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It sounds as though this may have been a 'self - diagnosis' b ut one wonders how that is possible without proper testing and physician cosultation . If antibiotic 'cured ' the condition, it might call into question the accurracy of the diagnosis?

My husband has been prescribed antibiotics for kidney stones many times. When you pass them they cause small tears as they go through the system. Thus can cause UTIs. Passing the stone relieves the pain, antibiotics will prevent more issues. Those who have had kidney stones know when they have them. Not much self diagnosing needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It sounds as though this may have been a 'self - diagnosis' b ut one wonders how that is possible without proper testing and physician cosultation . If antibiotic 'cured ' the condition, it might call into question the accurracy of the diagnosis?

Yes, infection from kidney stones happen a lot. And I suffer from a weak immune sysytem due to not having a spleen. My Doctor (from Mayo Clinic) has prescribed antibiotics for me several times, so it's not a self diagnosis. But thanks for your concern.

Oh and BTW, I said nothing about "curing" the condiion. It just helps the situation from getting worse. But I guess with 80,000 posts, you already know everything, so why question your authority.

Edited by HawkIVette

My physician prescribed an antibiotic for a 1986 trip to South America. I don't remember the antibiotic, but I remember the instructions on the bottle, "Take after fifth loose stool."

Some of my American friends stock up on acetaminophen with codeine when they visit Canada. It is over-the-counter here but it needs a prescription in the U.S. I don't know if it's illegal for U.S. citizens to re-enter the country with it, without a prescription.

You are legally allowed 2 bottles per adult in your party.

We live near the Mexican border and since I'm prone to bronchitis we buy amoxicilin, which we can get in Mexico without a Rx.

On cruises to Mexican ports or to Europe we have not bought Rx meds.

My body laughs at amoxicillin! Took so much of it as a child that it does nothing for me now.

I'm hopefully going to take a trip to Canada at some point to get one of my meds. We have it here in USA, but it costs $10000 a month and insurance won't pay it so I'm on an alternative drug that doesn't work as well. It's $400 for a month in Canada. Not sure if they have it available at Mexican pharmacies.

Yes, infection from kidney stones happen a lot. And I suffer from a weak immune sysytem due to not having a spleen. My Doctor (from Mayo Clinic) has prescribed antibiotics for me several times, so it's not a self diagnosis. But thanks for your concern.

Oh and BTW, I said nothing about "curing" the condiion. It just helps the situation from getting worse. But I guess with 80,000 posts, you already know everything, so why question your authority.

Yikes. I was n't aware tens of thousands of posts on a cruise forum rendered me an expert on anything, except perhaps about posting on C C. :)

Yes, I always take a pack of rhino strength anti histamines with me on holiday. Hayfever the most likely reason to need them, but I have occasionally had interesting skin responses to run of the mill things: soap, some sun tan lotion brands, some laundry detergent, that alcohol hand stuff they want you to to use...

I took a load of OTC stuff with us just in case (travel sickness, painkillers etc). We used 1 plaster... If I'd not have packed it, we'd have needed the lot, I just know it. :-)

There are certain drugs are not allowed in the US but widely available outside the US. I trust the FDA.

Anyone remember Thalidomide? :(

http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/broughttolife/themes/controversies/thalidomide.

You mean the Thalidomide that is a current drug therapy in the US for Hansen's Disease (aka leprosy) and a few forms of cancer? ;)

The FDA also thought cigarettes were perfectly safe for everyone.

I've bought medicinal drugs multiple places around the world. Have yet to have an issue with any of them. In Egypt, there is a specific medicine that will work with "mummy tummy" - I just stopped by the hotel gift shop when I first arrived and bought some. It's prescription-only in the US. I came down with the flu and it mutated to bronchitis - no issues buying necessary meds in France or Germany. And, I always stock up on my Tylenol/Codeine and Codeine cough syrup when I make a trip to Canada.

We had a pharmacist in our town back in the early 2000s who had lower prices on prescriptions than the other 2 stores. Always used him. Turns out, he gets busted for buying meds in Mexico and dispensing them. No one got sick from his meds - it was his "transporting" instead of buying at extortion-level prices from the US distributors where he was arrested.

You mean the Thalidomide that is a current drug therapy in the US for Hansen's Disease (aka leprosy) and a few forms of cancer? ;)

The FDA also thought cigarettes were perfectly safe for everyone.

I've bought medicinal drugs multiple places around the world. Have yet to have an issue with any of them. In Egypt, there is a specific medicine that will work with "mummy tummy" - I just stopped by the hotel gift shop when I first arrived and bought some. It's prescription-only in the US. I came down with the flu and it mutated to bronchitis - no issues buying necessary meds in France or Germany. And, I always stock up on my Tylenol/Codeine and Codeine cough syrup when I make a trip to Canada.

We had a pharmacist in our town back in the early 2000s who had lower prices on prescriptions than the other 2 stores. Always used him. Turns out, he gets busted for buying meds in Mexico and dispensing them. No one got sick from his meds - it was his "transporting" instead of buying at extortion-level prices from the US distributors where he was arrested.

The reason for limitation on quantitry a trav eler is allowed to bring home with them is to control against Re-Sale. !. Iam un sure the exact amount permitted but I think there may be a limit ro 90 days worth of dosages only for personal use.

do you take any on a cruise that are pre-filled? A doc prescribed me something (don't remember what) about 20 years ago in advance of a trip to the interior of Mexico. Had it filled but never needed it.

Do you pre-fill? If so, what?

What do you stock up on when visiting a pharmacy in a foreign country's port of call?

You will find that very few people take prophylactic drugs any longer. Most physicians will not even think about prescribing them unless they are for something like malaria.

Remember that it is illegal to bring prescription drugs into the US without a valid prescription. Unless a drug is one that you take daily, why would you stock up on one?

I stick up on retin-a. Been using it for years and my insurance will no longer cover it. I will also stock up on restasis if I can find it. Once again, prescribed my doctor, but my insurance stopped covering it.

I don't think insurance companies should be able to dictate, or stop covering, meds my doctor prescribes me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app