upgrades

delgirl

sailing from new york to southampton in july. Have booked an oceanview with window not porthole, picked cabin no, all showing correct on my personaliser. Agent clicked for upgrade I am now wondering if I should have said no upgrade as the next grade up is obstructed balcony. When I mentioned this to hubby he said how can an obstructed view be an upgrade. If I do get upgraded can I refuse and will I loose my original room I have booked.

Once you have been upgraded you can't go back to the original cabin. If you are happy with it it's best to say no upgrade. On my recent QM2 voyage I had an obstructed balcony which I picked as it was between 2 lifeboats. I was very pleased with it as I still got the sun and a bit of a view. I said no upgrade as I was surprised to learn that the upgrade would have been a sheltered balcony...Bear in mind that on a TA there is not much to look at and the Ib balconies are on deck 8 in a very handy position. Hope this helps...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Once you have been upgraded you can't go back to the original cabin. If you are happy with it it's best to say no upgrade. On my recent QM2 voyage I had an obstructed balcony which I picked as it was between 2 lifeboats. I was very pleased with it as I still got the sun and a bit of a view. I said no upgrade as I was surprised to learn that the upgrade would have been a sheltered balcony...Bear in mind that on a TA there is not much to look at and the Ib balconies are on deck 8 in a very handy position. Hope this helps...

Meant obstructed not lb!

Any balcony is an upgrade from an ocean view - you have your own outside space.

I was about to say that very thing.

Some obstructions are bigger than others. Some have a life boat fully in front of you and others just have the winding gear (or hangers as Mrs Toad calls them !).

Your fear is a classic case of what Cunard considers an upgrade may not be an upgrade to you. If your reservation is not marked "do not upgrade" you can be put into any stateroom on the deck plan that is in a higher category than the one you chose.

Assuming you paid a fare that let you pick a specific cabin, rather than a fare for a category guarantee, your best bet is to follow Summergee's advice and call your TA and have your reservation marked "do not upgrade". (I did that on a past transatlantic when I didn't want to lose my carefully chosen Southern exposure stateroom to an "upgrade".)

Now if you booked some promotional fare for a category guarantee, you don't have that luxury but have to take what they give you. That's the trade off for paying a lower fare.

A Transatlantic in a Oceanview will give you 7 days of staring out of a window at

at the ocean ? Any balcony will give you fresh air and hopefully some sunshine and at the very , very worse a peak at the ocean .

Any Balcony is indeed an upgrade over Oceanview especially on a TA.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A Transatlantic in a Oceanview will give you 7 days of staring out of a window at

at the ocean ? Any balcony will give you fresh air and hopefully some sunshine and at the very , very worse a peak at the ocean .

Any Balcony is indeed an upgrade over Oceanview especially on a TA.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree although is it true that an upgrade might only be a higher grade outside cabin and not necessarily a balcony cabin?

I agree although is it true that an upgrade might only be a higher grade outside cabin and not necessarily a balcony cabin?

Since the QM2 has only 1 Oceanview cabin category (EF) , any upgrade is to a Balcony or Better .

Since the QM2 has only 1 Oceanview cabin category (EF) , any upgrade is to a Balcony or Better .

Thanks,thats why i put a question mark because on P&O,RC etc they have several categories and i wasn't up to date with Cunard categories.

From my experience upgrades don't happen all that frequently, so I wouldn't worry about it. I agree with others - and for the same reasons - that any balcony is a welcome upgrade.

Not all upgrades are to the next category; they can be more generous. Our first upgrade was from a Deck 8 balcony - not an obstructed view one - to Princess Grill. Our second upgrade was from the cheapest Princess Grill (P3, a category since abolished) to Queen's Grill - a Q5 mid-ships.