suggestions for Monterey, California

anniecat

HI...since I live in the area...if anyone has questions about day trips, excursions for their port visit in Monterey, Just ask. I'll try to help. I know only a few ships cruise to Monterey...but if you have questions let me know. (I don't know about any specific vendors, but probably could check something out for you)

Anniecat

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Thanks for the request for information. My family and I are Considering a California cruise in the spring. We would love to visit Hurst Castle. Is it far from Monteray? Is there car rentals at the pier, or do you know of any local tour operators who I could contact? Thankyou

unfortunately..it way too far for a day trip. 70 miles of VERY slow, steep cliffs and narrow road, often subject to closures for slides. (But if you have time...the best views in the world on a clear day). Hearst castle is near San Luis Obispo on the coast on highway one. Also you need to make reservations for tours in advance usually. However, if the ship offers a tour...go for it! They will be sure you get back in time. Monterey has lots of interesting historical sites from the "colonial" days (Mexico, Spain). and there's a lovely Mission in Carmel.

hope this helps...I check this site 2-3X week so ask more ?'s

Anniecat

Hi,

We live in Fremont and are pretty familiar with the Monterey area. but on March 30 we are taking the Mercury r.t. S.F. and wonder where the ship will dock or does it tender? If tender, where will the landing be? Thanks for your offer of advice.

Don't know what we will do as we have done the Aquarium ( Great) and usually stay in a local B&B and ride our bikes over to Pacific Grove to see all the old Victorians and get our kitty fix.

We avoid the ship's tours so haven't any plans yet. Any suggestions?

Thanks. You can e-mail me direct jluvs2trav@yahoo.com please. Thanks

Joanne

Thank you for the information. I may contact Princess directly about a shore excursion to the castle. We live on the east coast of Canada, and this will probably be the only chance for us to visit the castle so would be very disappointed if we miss it. If it can't be then so be it, but I'm going to make the effort.

Thank you again.

There is so much more to see in Monterey...I would skip Hearst's Castle as it will limit you to just that. You would have to plan on at least a 2 hour drive each way, then at least 4 hours at the castle.

Other things to see:

Drive the 17 mile drive through Pebble Beach.

Shop and stroll in Carmel (include a walk on Carmel beach)

Go to the Monterey Aquarium (one of the best in the world).

Walk Cannery Row for shops and restaurants.

Hike Point Lobos National Monument .

Drive to Salinas (40 minutes) and see the Steinbeck Center.

Visit some of the old adobe buildings and museums in downtown Monterey.

Visit Elkhorn slough nature preserve.

Rent kayaks and paddle with the sea otters and seals.

Drive part way down Big Sur and stop at Julia Pfiefer State Park and Beach. Drive further and have lunch at Nepenthe with its gorgeous view.

• 3 years later...

Of the two aquaria, I would strongly recommend the Monterey Aquarium. It is easy to spend a full day there, so get a tour that gives you at least a half day (or go on your own via cab). Go to Pike Place Market in Seattle instead. Skip Fisherman's Wharf in Monterey, and see if you can combine the Aquarium with the 17 Mile Drive.

• 9 years later...
unfortunately..it way too far for a day trip. 70 miles of VERY slow, steep cliffs and narrow road, often subject to closures for slides. (But if you have time...the best views in the world on a clear day). Hearst castle is near San Luis Obispo on the coast on highway one. Also you need to make reservations for tours in advance usually. However, if the ship offers a tour...go for it! They will be sure you get back in time. Monterey has lots of interesting historical sites from the "colonial" days (Mexico, Spain). and there's a lovely Mission in Carmel.

hope this helps...I check this site 2-3X week so ask more ?'s

Anniecat

Just did this drive last year. It's about 150 miles from Monterey to Hearst Castle. It is very deceiving time to distance as it is a very twisty road that is very crowded with cars going in and out of turnouts, plus the amount of time you take seeing all the sights yourself. I would not go without spending the night there. Not really a good idea when there is so much to see in Monterey itself.

Edited by mr.roboto
Very old thread

and just in case anyone comes to this thread for info re the area' date=' be aware that the 1 will be out of commission for a while due to a land slide.[/quote']

That is an understatement for sure!! Predictions currently are that the Mud Creek slide (which is still sliding) which occurred on 5/24/17, will take many millions of $$$ and at least a year to re-open Hwy 1. The Pfeiffer Canyon bridge still has to be rebuilt as well.

https://sf.curbed.com/2017/5/23/15682086/mudslide-big-sur-pch

and just in case anyone comes to this thread for info re the area' date=' be aware that the 1 will be out of commission for a while due to a land slide.[/quote']

Just for fun I will point out that in Northern California we do not say "the" in front of our highway numbers, we reserve that for our southern cal brethren.

• 2 weeks later...
HI...since I live in the area...if anyone has questions about day trips, excursions for their port visit in Monterey, Just ask. I'll try to help. I know only a few ships cruise to Monterey...but if you have questions let me know. (I don't know about any specific vendors, but probably could check something out for you)

Anniecat

Hi Anniecat

Can you tell me if we tender into the wharf? How far to the Aquarium? A cab ride is how long? We dock 7-6 something like that but the tour for the aquarium is 2-5:30 we want to go earlier like 10-4 is a cab ride just 30 bucks or so? We will do the cab but keep it under 50 each way is reasonable since the cost for excursion is 150 for 2 and the entrance for the aquarium is 90 so we can easily go for the 60 on a cab for break even and have moe time so we want to look into that option. Is it a good idea? Thanks

Will there be private vans at the pier in Montery offering tours doing the 17-mile drive?The ships tours are very expensive and would rather go with less people.I am traveling with a group tthat would fill up a van easily.