Polynesian dance show--Moorea, Papeete or Bora Bora?

psyfi

We would like to see a good Polynesian dance show while we are in French Polynesia. Our first choice would be in Moorea on a Sunday or Monday night, which would be pre-cruise, and since I need to pay for food anyway, I thought that might be a good plan if there was a good show on Moorea. We are considering either IC or Hilton probably which might be relevant if transportation is an issue.

Alternatively we have an overnight in Papeete on a Tuesday and an overnight in Bora Bora also on Tuesday. We will be on the Ocean Princess so we are not sure if they usually have any special evening entertainment when we are in port or not. Thanks for your opinions.

We spent two nights precruise at the IC Papeete, and went to their combination dinner/show. While expensive, both were really great. We felt it was worth the splurge, since we presumed we'd probably only ever get to FP one time!

I think the best show is the one thats free in Raiatea. The locals put on two shows, or least they did when we went on this cruise in 2007. The younger ones put on a great show on board that afternoon on the ship and then teen to adult group puts on a show that night on deck by the buffet. Of the 3 or 4 shows we watched they were the best. On Morrea the Pearl resort has a good dinner show one night a week.

If you are doing the 10 day cruise on the Ocean, in Raiatea they bring an entire cast onboard, including children. This is one of the best we have seen to date in Tahiti. And the best part is it's included with the cruise and there is no extra cost. They also set up a table and sell leis and head pieces before the show.

Most of the other shows are dinner shows at a few of the hotels, but not many of the hotels provide them. Tahiti isn't quite like Hawaii where they have a place on shore to attend a traditional show for you.

Also, depending on the night you dock in Papeete, if memory serves me correctly, when you are there on a Friday night, they put on another great show at the Pavillion there with a huge cast. And it is right next to the pier you will be docked at, just across from the Roulettes.

Thanks. I did not knkow about the show onboard in Raiatea so it is wonderful to know that it was free and a good show! I certainly won't plan anything else for that night. We will be boarding the ship in Papeete on Tuesday and overnight there, then docking back into Papeete on Thursday nite diembarking Friday, so I don't know if there would be a show that night (i.e. do they do it when the ship is in port or only on Friday nite?)

• 4 weeks later...

If you go on the PG they usually have a variety of shows.

In raitea they have the children come on board and dance.

The Gauguins are very adept at Tahitian dancing.

Usually between Moorea and Tahiti they bring one if the best local troups on board I think its I Tahiti.

So no cost there for you and also no time wasted.

That would certainly be one more advantage of PG. I contacted them and I have to wait another 8 months or so before their 2013 schedule will be out to see if that will work or not :(

• 1 month later...

We were on the Royal Princess this last February doing the same route that you will be doing on the Ocean. The first evening in Papeete Princess brings a wonderful dance troupe on board. May people miss it because it's the first night.

As Toto said, in Raiatea there will be 2 performances, children in the late afternoon and adults in the evening.(Make sure any tours you book return by 4:00 to see the kid's show) Both were different and wonderful.

There was a third dance troupe brought aboard but I can't remember where. :o

Carefully read your patter every day.

All of these performances are professional and free. No need to attend a paid performance unless you want to do the full luau experience!

There is a Polynesian village in Moorea, Tiki Village,( http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.tikivillage.fr/en/&ei=M770Taz-Nur10gGw1_nuDA&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CDAQ7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dmoorea%2Btiki%2Bvillage%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1920%26bih%3D840%26prmd%3Divns )

that has shows that many people seem to enjoy.

The polynesian dancing on the PG was OK, but pre-cruise we stayed at the Sofitel Moorea, and each night they would have a different polynesian dancing show. Now they were fanctastic! The dancers, local musicians and costumes were all superior. We were so fortunate to see them.:D

• 3 years later...