Blue Lagoon

rgastin

This may be a stupid question, but are there more than one "Blue Lagoons" around Tahiti?

I have read that the excursion to the Blue Lagoon in Rangiroa is a really bumpy ride to get to it and people have sore butts for days afterwards. Also that it is 1 1/2 hrs each way to get there.

In my research I see that there is an excursion for the Blue Lagoon in Fakarava as well. Is this to a different place or is it the one that we would be going to from Rangiroa?

If it is the same place, would the trip from Fakarava to the Blue Lagoon be an easier trip and a shorter time to get there?

Thanks

This may be a stupid question, but are there more than one "Blue Lagoons" around Tahiti?

I have read that the excursion to the Blue Lagoon in Rangiroa is a really bumpy ride to get to it and people have sore butts for days afterwards. Also that it is 1 1/2 hrs each way to get there.

In my research I see that there is an excursion for the Blue Lagoon in Fakarava as well. Is this to a different place or is it the one that we would be going to from Rangiroa?

If it is the same place, would the trip from Fakarava to the Blue Lagoon be an easier trip and a shorter time to get there?

Thanks

Different island ......... Fakarava has it's own "Blue Lagoon". Very nice, people love it and the ride isn't as bumpy ........... so they say :)

Have you been to both of them? Are they pretty equal do you think?

The person to ask is Emdee ......... she is usually on the PG forum. She has been to both several times, I know she really love the one on Fakarava. I have not been to that one, only Rangiora Blue Lagoon which I loved, yes rough trip but so amazing .

I have recently been to the 'Blue Lagoons' on both Rangiroa & Fakarava.

Both trips are long and can be choppy, weather is an added factor of course.

I found the Rangiroa ride particularly long and because of the time constraints they tend to go much faster for the ride back, therefore much bumpier.

Fakarava was not as far and less choppy plus we stopped to snorkel part way there. But that said, I would go again in a heartbeat, bruises disappear but memories last a lifetime!!

• 11 months later...

Since I found out about this tour on these boards and I had questions before I went I want to give my input now that I've returned from Fakarava.

It's hard to find a tour operator on this island, but if you're lucky enough to stop here use Ato Lissant. We took his tour on April 9th, 2015.

You will meet on the dock and he will take you snorkeling 2 different places. You will stop on the way to the motu and stop on the way back (which we didn't get to do - will explain). The trip to the motu takes approximately 40 minutes. It was very smooth and easy. It is a partially covered boat so put sun screen on!! Yes, you will get burned in that time period.

The motu is incredible. I don't want to spoil it but I'll tell you a bit about. You anchor a bit of a walk away from it and walk through the water on white sand. It's shallow, no worries. You will have time to just enjoy the water and scenery before lunch. To say it is Paradise is an understatement. Our jaws dropped at the beauty of this place!!

Lunch is prepared for you and served on a table and chairs they bring with them. Fresh fish kebobs, rice, salad, coconut bread and much more, all beyond delicious. For a treat at the end they cut open coconuts and provide you with straws to drink the juice. Then they will fashion a "spoon" with their machete from the outside of the coconut so you can scoop out the soft flesh inside. A perfect ending to your lunch!!

We would normally then be taken to the prized North Pass to snorkel but as we were all getting back into the boats after lunch it was discovered one of the tourists was missing. Search parties were organized, and finally after a couple of hours searching the rest of us were packed back up and taken back to the ship to report this man missing. One of Ato's helpers stayed behind with the wife and friends, all the food was left along with drinks, bug spray, etc. Once dropping us off Ato took a boat load of friends and co-workers back to the island to continue searching.

Ato was very professional and solicitous during this whole fiasco. The man had "wandered" off after lunch, failing to even tell his wife that he left, into the jungle. We heard later that he had done something similar on an excursion a couple days before. The stupidity and thoughtlessness of this man was off the charts. Once he was located about 2 miles down the island and brought safely back to the ship he showed zero remorse for all he had put each one of us through; thinking he had had a heart attack or been hit and knocked unconscious by a falling coconut ... you name it, we thought of all the horrors of what could have happened. Say nothing of the hours we searched for him imagining the worst. He never once apologized to anyone, and was in fact very angry at everyone because we were upset by the experience. He caused us to miss the prime snorkeling spot and cut our tour short by 3 hours. None of that would have mattered if he had indeed been injured or ill. Much, much more could be said about this person and what happened during the following days, but he doesn't deserve that much space!

Even with all the unnecessary drama caused by an inconsiderate person, this was my favorite island and excursion! Take this if you get the chance. Ato did an awesome job and we had a fantastic time. Even though I wish we could have snorkeled at the North Pass it was still worth the shortened tour.

Do NOT wander into the jungle. It is a jungle! Stay on the beach like a sane person. There is no need to do anything more than luxuriate in the crystal clear water, blue skies and snorkel, eat, swim, and just enjoy Paradise.

We all paid Ato the full fee for the day even though the tour was cut short. It was not his fault a tourist did something incredibly stupid.

The tour was suppose to be from 8:30 - 4:00 pm. The cost was $105.00 or 9,000 xpf. You can reach Ato at fakaravaexplorer@hotmail.com or http://www.fakarav-divelodge.com

• 4 months later...

I'd like to do this trip while our Oceania cruise is in Rangiroa (in part to see Blue Lorikeets on the motu. The cruise doesn't offer it, and several agents that can book it say they can only book it in conjunction with hotels. Any ideas how to arrange this? Also, any thought on the risk of not making it back to the ship on time? We are there 8:00-5:00 but there is tendering.

Thanks, Bob

I'd like to do this trip while our Oceania cruise is in Rangiroa (in part to see Blue Lorikeets on the motu. The cruise doesn't offer it, and several agents that can book it say they can only book it in conjunction with hotels. Any ideas how to arrange this? Also, any thought on the risk of not making it back to the ship on time? We are there 8:00-5:00 but there is tendering.

Thanks, Bob

Bob, don't suppose you're on oceania's Jan 7 cruise but if so there is info on Ato on the Roll Call on Cruise Critic. I think Ato is completely booked up for our day on Fakarava but if you're on a different O cruise you may be able to book him. I also am interested in getting to the lagoon and was going to email Ato to see if he has any room. Address for him is in the Roll Call thread.

Yes, I am on the Jan 7 cruise. I might be interested in the Fakarava Blue Lagoon, but its the Rangiroa Blue lagoon with a couple endemic land birds. But thanks for the tip on the Roll Call, I've never used that resource before and will give it a try.