Rangiroa

reps23

My son-in-law and daughter will be cruising on Princess and stopping in Rangiroa on October 22, 2014. They have been having alot of trouble getting any response from any of the tour operators. Does anyone have any suggestions of who they should try to contact. They would like to take an excursion to the pink sand beach. Thanks to everyone on cruise critic. You have always come through whenever I had questions.

• 2 weeks later...
My son-in-law and daughter will be cruising on Princess and stopping in Rangiroa on October 22, 2014. They have been having alot of trouble getting any response from any of the tour operators. Does anyone have any suggestions of who they should try to contact. They would like to take an excursion to the pink sand beach. Thanks to everyone on cruise critic. You have always come through whenever I had questions.

Check the Roll Call for their cruise. Maybe they've got some good ideas.

Several years ago, we went with an outfit called Rangiroa Power Dive which we arranged online in advance. Don't know if they're still in business tho. They took us out to the Aquarium, fed the fish and we couldn't believe all the beautiful colorerd fish. Also a huge eel that came up under the glass bottom boat to get whatever they were feeding. The guide saw him and waved us all back to the boat. Then they ran us out to the end of the Pass and we had dolphins all around playing with the boat. Wonderful day. I'm sure someone else will come on here and give you some info.

Sorry to say but Rangirora is a sleepy island. About 2,000 people live there and trying to contact anyone to discuss an excursion is about as close to impossible as one can get. I would also suggest checking your roll call, and if not, there is always negotiating at the dock.

Last year our Paul Gauguin ship stopped at Rangiroa and after the cruise we returned for 6 nights at the Kia Ora.

When we were there we did not see any tour operators at the pier. I believe the ship will come in through the Tiputa pass and moor in that area. The pass is world famous for drift diving and drift snorkeling. I would think that your ship would have these types of excursions. The pink sand beach is on the other side of the lagoon and it is a long boat ride there. Depending upon your arrival and departure time you may or may not be able to make that.

You can contact Top Dive to see if they offer any non diving excursions. You can also contact the Kia Ora as they offered many, many excursions for us when we stayed there.

We used Jean Pierre of tereva-tane-et-vahine-excursions. It was a full day, blue lagoon including BBQ. We organised a group thru our RollCall.

You can also try contacting rangiroaplongee.pf They have good reviews

Try joining groups thru the RollCall, it's the most efficient way to book excursions. It can be long to get an email response, it's a very different pace in FP. Good luck

• 3 weeks later...

Forgot to mention that the water can be rough. Our dives to just outside of the lagoon were very scarry as we were in a zodiac with 5+ foot waves. I realize that this is outside of the lagoon but while at the Kia Ora the lagoon was pretty flat but with winds many excursions arranged by the resort to Pink Sand beach were cancelled for a couple of days.

Reps23, you must really care about your son-in-law to help him with his vacation plans with your daughter. He truly must be very special to you!

Regarding an excursion to Reef Island in Rangiroa, Pension Henrietta has told me that they can do an excursion here that would leave the pier around 8:30 am and return to the pier around 3:30 pm. The ship is scheduled to leave port at 5 pm so that would give about an hour to explore the town (or village) if they wanted. The cost would 7,500 XPF (which is around $80) a person and the cost includes a lunch on the Motu, the ride to the Reef Island and back, and time to walk around and explore.

There is a four (4) person minimum and twenty (20) person maximum.

If anyone is on Rangiroa on October 22 and like to join us, please let me know.

If you are interested, let me know and I’ll make the reservations with Pension Henrietta and complete the reservations.

Thanks.

We were just on a Rangiroa Reef Island tour with Jean Pierre from Tereva . It was very well run and food was varied and sufficient. Boats were all in good shape and the ride was smooth. After the Reef Islands we went to the Aquarium to swim and also saw the dolphins. Our cost was $100 per head but it was worth it for the excellent food as well the complete excursion. Many people really enjoyed this one.

• 3 weeks later...

We will be in Rangiroa on Pacific Princess on October 22nd. Is there room on this excursion?

Reps23, you must really care about your son-in-law to help him with his vacation plans with your daughter. He truly must be very special to you!

Regarding an excursion to Reef Island in Rangiroa, Pension Henrietta has told me that they can do an excursion here that would leave the pier around 8:30 am and return to the pier around 3:30 pm. The ship is scheduled to leave port at 5 pm so that would give about an hour to explore the town (or village) if they wanted. The cost would 7,500 XPF (which is around $80) a person and the cost includes a lunch on the Motu, the ride to the Reef Island and back, and time to walk around and explore.

There is a four (4) person minimum and twenty (20) person maximum.

If anyone is on Rangiroa on October 22 and like to join us, please let me know.

If you are interested, let me know and I’ll make the reservations with Pension Henrietta and complete the reservations.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a very difficult time finding a guide to take us to the Reef Islands in Rangirora, but ultimately found one with a local pension. I ultimately used Pension Henrietta (pensionhenriette@mail.pf) and could not have been happier. They met us and some other passengers on the pier. We tried to see if there were any dolphins in the pass, and not finding any, we set off for an hour ride across the lagoon to Reef Islands. Once there, we had about an hour to explore the coral (which I found to be an amazing place) before lunch was served. Lunch consisted of a fish salad, grilled fish and chicken, coconut bread and lemon cake for dessert. We then swam with the sharks without a cage while the guide feed them (yes its safe) and sat on the beach. Around 2 pm we headed back. The ride back across the lagoon was rough and my lower back hurt in the morning. However, we stopped near the pass and had time to snorkel before getting back to the pier for one of the last tenders to the ship.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Having just been to Rangiroa and taking an excursion with Yannick, I can tell you who NOT to use.

This is the first time I've ever written a review of a place, so I hope this tells you how awful this experience was!

I had a written confirmation from Yannick with the day, time and price of the tour of the Aquarium. When we got there he was leaving without us, shouted to us that we needed to come back in two hours. I asked him if he needed to write our names down for the next tour and he said he would remember me. We were back early and found again that he didn't have us on the tour. When I showed him the email confirmation he shouted that "he didn't care what he had said, this is the price now! Ignore what I wrote!" He increased the price of the tour considerable, refused to take US dollars even though the quote was in US dollars, and refused to honor what he had quoted. He had to kick other people off the tour to accommodate us because he had indeed forgotten us again.

It takes 5 minutes to get to the aquarium. There are many boats going there constantly. Do not use Yannick. His boat has no ladder and is very difficult to get into. Once you need to get from the water into the boat he and another person yank you up by your arms into the boat. He didn't provide any kind of instruction (very strange for a dive shop owner), and when I was talking to another couple later they told me that he misidentified every single fish they saw. They have been traveling the world for 2 years and have the highest level of scuba diving licensing you can get. They know their stuff!

This was one of many things we witnessed that day at his shop. Every single person we saw was angry and had their own story. One couple said he took them way out to see some dolphins (they did not ask for this, they just wanted to snorkel in the aquarium) and they got terribly sea sick. On the ship a couple hours later they were still suffering. We did not see or talk to one person who was satisfied with their experience that day.

There are plenty of options at this island, chose wisely. Go to the dive shop next to Yannick, I heard very good things from people about that tour operator. Yannick is the worst kind of business owner you can encounter. He ruined our whole day for us.

Having just been to Rangiroa and taking an excursion with Yannick, I can tell you who NOT to use.

This is the first time I've ever written a review of a place, so I hope this tells you how awful this experience was!

There are plenty of options at this island, chose wisely. Go to the dive shop next to Yannick, I heard very good things from people about that tour operator. Yannick is the worst kind of business owner you can encounter. He ruined our whole day for us.

Wow, glad I read this. I'm hoping to find an operator to take us to the Aquarium next year. We did the Reef Island thing last September, and stopped at the Aquarium on the way back, but I was thinking that since it's so close to the pier, there must be local operators who will just take you out there. I would need a ladder, for sure. Isn't there a little motu there? Could a small boat pull up onto the sand to let people off?

While I will agree that while Yannick may not be the most organized, he was never rude or "shouting" at guests during our experience. I think some of the previous comments are a bit harsh. This is a port with very little infrastuture, limited internet and few tour operators. When 1200 guests descend, it can be a logicistical nightmare. He does use zodiac type boats which can be a challenge for some. On our return to the pier he was able to secure a spot where guests were able to walk up steps to the dock.