Post cruise Moorea hotel stay

SoBaycruiser

We are going on a cruise that terminates in Tahiti. For those of you who have stayed at a hotel in Tahiti or Moorea post cruise, how did you find the best deals? It seems like all the one week packages I see advertised by tour operators include ROUNDTRIP airfare...which we don't need. Did you contact the hotels directly? Did your cruise have a post cruise package? The Hyatt and Sofitel over the water bungalows look enticing.

Any suggestions?

We've done our research for our 2015 pre-cruise stay in an OWB (just HAVE to do that when going so far!) and we compared the following:

Tahiti

- IC

- Le Meridien (actually had made a res there)

Moorea

- Sofitel

- IC

- Hilton

- Pearl

We ended up with the Hilton and as I continue to do research are still pleased with our choice.

• 7 months later...

We also liked Le Meridien on Tahiti, but if it's going to be for a few days, I'd definitely choose Moorea. I have not stayed at any of the larger resorts, but I have been to the Hilton, and it is very nice. I've also heard that the Sofitel is great. We stayed at a smaller local hotel, which was also very nice in its way, and much less expensive. No OWB's, however, nor was there a pool, just a beach.

We also liked Le Meridien on Tahiti, but if it's going to be for a few days, I'd definitely choose Moorea. I have not stayed at any of the larger resorts, but I have been to the Hilton, and it is very nice. I've also heard that the Sofitel is great. We stayed at a smaller local hotel, which was also very nice in its way, and much less expensive. No OWB's, however, nor was there a pool, just a beach.

Wendy is to be congratulated for choosing a small, local hotel (possibly Tipaniers?) without any OWBs. Personally, I'd prefer finding a hotel without OWBs as I believe they are blots on a beautiful landscape and are environmentally damaging. I also like the idea of giving business to local families/companies rather than big chains like IC and Hilton. However, I appreciate this is a minority view and I have come to terms with the OWB thing. And I have stayed in them myself, most notably at the original, much-loved Hotel Bora Bora.

People need to know why they were built, especially on Moorea where the phenomenon was born at what is now the Pearl Resort. Moorea's beaches tend to be small and full of coral rock. The land available for each hotel is also severely limited, so the idea of building OWBs was basically an economic one - you can effectively double the room capacity and perhaps treble the income. The original Bali Hai Hotel had only 9 OWBs and no pool. When it became the Pearl the OWBs multiplied and the pool replaced the beach.

I was in French Polynesia when the Moorea Sheraton was being built - the outcry was considerable about the damage it was causing. That's now the Hilton, by the way and it's the worst offender, in my view, as the view from the beach has been completely obliterated by the OWBs and the number of rooms is perhaps double what that site can comfortably sustain.

I note that The Brando resort very proudly refused to build OWBs as they did not want them to undermine a pristine environment.

Just a few things to think about . . .

Edited by Fletcher

The Brando resort in Tetiaroa is $3,000 a night but you can take a day trip on Poe charter, http://www.poecharter.pf.

We stayed at Sofitel (lagoon view) and it was great. Be sure to check the bill as it is difficult to correct once you leave.

If you can get the special which includes buffet breakfast and $60 per day food it is affordable....well for Moorea.

The Intercontinental Tahiti was a nice hotel post cruise.

Wendy is to be congratulated for choosing a small, local hotel (possibly Tipaniers?) without any OWBs. Personally, I'd prefer finding a hotel without OWBs as I believe they are blots on a beautiful landscape and are environmentally damaging. I also like the idea of giving business to local families/companies rather than big chains like IC and Hilton. However, I appreciate this is a minority view and I have come to terms with the OWB thing. And I have stayed in them myself, most notably at the original, much-loved Hotel Bora Bora.

People need to know why they were built, especially on Moorea where the phenomenon was born at what is now the Pearl Resort. Moorea's beaches tend to be small and full of coral rock. The land available for each hotel is also severely limited, so the idea of building OWBs was basically an economic one - you can effectively double the room capacity and perhaps treble the income. The original Bali Hai Hotel had only 9 OWBs and no pool. When it became the Pearl the OWBs multiplied and the pool replaced the beach.

I was in French Polynesia when the Moorea Sheraton was being built - the outcry was considerable about the damage it was causing. That's now the Hilton, by the way and it's the worst offender, in my view, as the view from the beach has been completely obliterated by the OWBs and the number of rooms is perhaps double what that site can comfortably sustain.

I note that The Brando resort very proudly refused to build OWBs as they did not want them to undermine a pristine environment.

Just a few things to think about . . .

Yes, it was Les Tipes and I agree with everything you've said. The local IC chain that owns the Intercontinentals on Tahiti, Moorea and Bora Bora , the Paul Gauguin cruise ship *and* the Brando have become very environmentally conscious. That's a good thing. We loved Les Tipanier. Just a nice beach, no pool. We can get plastic elsewhere.

There is little enough environmental consciousness in this part of the world.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer