South African Airways carry on baggage restriction questions

azevedan

Has anyone flown recently on South African Airways from the US (or elsewhere off the African continent) to South Africa? I was hoping to pack light and carry on my small rollie suitcase and a small backpack. However, I see baggage restrictions that limit suitcases to 8kg (just under 18 pounds) and the small personal item can't be a backpack. I can understand restrictions in the small jets they use to fly inside Africa, but this just doesn't make sense on the A340 we'll be flying over there.

So - my questions are: do they weigh your suitcase? Do they really limit your 'small personal carryon' to a 'slim laptop case'?

Thanks!

You will likely get many more responses if you post the question on the Cruise Air board.

In general, airlines based outside the US are much more restrictive about carry-on rules. Many airlines, Qantas for one, do routinely weigh carry-ons. Perhaps someone on the Cruise Air board has direct experience with South African Airlines.

Thanks, I'll do that (I never noticed it there, hidden away under the header of Cruise Topics).

Yes, I know some airlines do (we had that experience with Air Tahiti Nui). It doesn't make much sense, since the plane is carrying the same weight. If it fits, I can lift it (I never pack what I can't lift), and the bin will support it, why should they care? Maybe that's what the test at checkin should be instead of weighing it - make the passenger lift it over his/her head and hold it there!

Edited by azevedan

Your more likely to get the correct answer if you contact South African Airlines directly.

What I'm likely to get is the same thing that's in their guidance. I already know that. It doesn't differentiate between within and without. I was just looking for actual experience flying out of JFK on SAA. And yes, I've already asked through my TA.

• 2 months later...

OK, our experience was, the restrictions were not enforced. I wish I had known that; I would've much rather have had 2 small rollies and 2 backpacks rather than the 2 duffels (within the 8kg), 1 small backpack, and 1 small laptop bag that we packed.

We did go to the counter to get boarding passes on a Cape Town-JNB leg, and there the bags were weighed. Both were over at that point (post-souvenir buying), but both were still given carryon tags. If you have your boarding pass, no one will (in our recent experience and observation) question or weigh your bags. We saw people with rollies and people with 3 (big) bags in coach class. They made a big deal about the restrictions in print and signage, but that was it. Nothing in practice if you avoided the check-in counter.

I am not recommending you try to circumvent the restrictions. Just passing on our experience.

• 4 weeks later...
OK, our experience was, the restrictions were not enforced. I wish I had known that; I would've much rather have had 2 small rollies and 2 backpacks rather than the 2 duffels (within the 8kg), 1 small backpack, and 1 small laptop bag that we packed.

We did go to the counter to get boarding passes on a Cape Town-JNB leg, and there the bags were weighed. Both were over at that point (post-souvenir buying), but both were still given carryon tags. If you have your boarding pass, no one will (in our recent experience and observation) question or weigh your bags. We saw people with rollies and people with 3 (big) bags in coach class. They made a big deal about the restrictions in print and signage, but that was it. Nothing in practice if you avoided the check-in counter.

I am not recommending you try to circumvent the restrictions. Just passing on our experience.

Our experience (we went through Dulles) was similar. There were many with big bags in coach. There was more weighing within South Africa but no one seemed to suffer for it. We had a back pack and my big bag as carry-on and were never questioned or weighed for these.