Need some advice on passenger etiquette

"I am so glad to meet you. I sell insurance. Tell me all about your whole life, retirement, medical so I can provide you with some quotes."

Ha ha ha ha ha this will certainly work :D Repeating "NO ENGLISH" with a weird accent may work, unless they want to know where you are from.

Pretend reading a book or a newspaper. Use earbuds, and you don't even have to turn them on.

Thank you to those who actually sought out to offer me good advice for my cruising habits, I will try all these it's very much appreciated, I will try this I just don't seem to understand why they are doing it in the first place, but maybe as stated don't speak to people in the first place is a good law to continue my journeys with, but I hate being rude to people so I will try a gentle nod.

For those who accused my post of trolling, etc a 8 day week is an overtime week, for those of little minds the average working time is a 9-5pm day, I work over that time because I'm a doctor, if you are unaware that doctors and nurses are over worked and no the union doesn't care because we are constantly understaffed. So please be more considerate when someone asks for help, accusing others is out right rude.

Thank you for your help and assistance cruise lovers.

I'm sorry but i don't believe a word of this.

I know we are not suppose to criticize grammar but I assume someone with 7 or so years of university would have better writing skills than this.:rolleyes:

The first "paragraph" is one of the worst run on sentences I have seen. :eek: The rest isn't much better.

Edited by electro

Folks, it does happen. It happened to us ONCE. Grand Princess many years ago. A couple in a cabin down the hall from us decided they were going to be our cruise Besties. We had anytime dining, and they would wait till we were seated and then asked to be seated with us. Awkward. A quick chat with dining room staff and a two top from then out solved that situation. We quickly figured out their comings and going and had a wonderful time. Time to time they would find us, at a lounge or something but nothing we couldn't get away from. They left a long note on our door the last night with address, phone numbers, emails and such stating they wanted to stay in touch.

If you don'want t are to enter con versations, don't make yourself avaialable.

Good manners are good manners and I suggest you use the same good manners you would use at home if you wished to avoid soc ializing. It is a matter of courtesy, xnywheree and erveryewhere and not 'crusing per sr . You havew no requirement to speak with any socializing peson if you don' wish but surely you know that?

Edited by sail7seas

Kinda rude of people on this post to say he is lying about his work hours. There are people in a lot of professions who have stints of work that will result in these types of hours. MY minimum work hours are 12 hours a day 7 days a week all the time. BUT I do work a month on and a month on. But I have in the past had longer and harder hours and 19 was not out of the question. For those who don't know there is no law to protect the number of ours a non-hourly employee can be made to work.

Still I do think that he is making too much of this as it is very unlikely that he will find another cruiser like the "one" he mentioned, and if he really has been followed several times like this consider that there is a common denominator here(the OP). Find it hard to believe happens "often". BUT if he would just arrange the family chairs to block anyone joining in, and if that don't work, a simple, "this is my family's time, please leave" and if he they don't leave an assertive "NOW" would surely work.

Secondly if you don't want attention don't initiate attention.

As to free pofressional ad vice in a social setting, it is worth just what they pay for it.......... nothing. Every true doctor, proferssional I KNOws kn how to deal with tha? t has no value and most refuse to goddown thatt.road.

Edited by sail7seas

Kinda rude of people on this post to say he is lying about his work hours. There are people in a lot of professions who have stints of work that will result in these types of hours. MY minimum work hours are 12 hours a day 7 days a week all the time. BUT I do work a month on and a month on. But I have in the past had longer and harder hours and 19 was not out of the question. For those who don't know there is no law to protect the number of ours a non-hourly employee can be made to work.

Still I do think that he is making too much of this as it is very unlikely that he will find another cruiser like the "one" he mentioned, and if he really has been followed several times like this consider that there is a common denominator here(the OP). Find it hard to believe happens "often". BUT if he would just arrange the family chairs to block anyone joining in, and if that don't work, a simple, "this is my family's time, please leave" and if he they don't leave an assertive "NOW" would surely work.

Secondly if you don't want attention don't initiate attention.

pofreesional ad vicdr in a social setting, is worth just what you pa for it.......... nothing. Ehastytrue dfoctor, proferssional does not know how to deal with tha? t has no value and mosg refuse to goddown thatt.road.

pofreesional ad vicdr in a social setting, is worth just what you pa for it.......... nothing. Ehastytrue dfoctor, proferssional does not know how to deal with tha? t has no value and mosg refuse to goddown thatt.road.

Not necessarily. I'm a true professional and I've given free advice in my field in social settings when asked politely, and that advice certainly DOES have value.

As a very sdpeciailized professional, my late DH learned edarly in his career to keep his 'free advice in social settings to a minimum. If often leads to nothing but prob lems.

Edited by sail7seas

Folks, it does happen. It happened to us ONCE. Grand Princess many years ago. A couple in a cabin down the hall from us decided they were going to be our cruise Besties. We had anytime dining, and they would wait till we were seated and then asked to be seated with us. Awkward. A quick chat with dining room staff and a two top from then out solved that situation. We quickly figured out their comings and going and had a wonderful time. Time to time they would find us, at a lounge or something but nothing we couldn't get away from. They left a long note on our door the last night with address, phone numbers, emails and such stating they wanted to stay in touch.

Interesting situation. We run into this every cruise. To exchange email info or not? We have had it both ways. Last cruise we "connected " with two couples. Laughs every night, met for drinks, sat together at shows. Well, you know the routine. Nothing was said one way or another but on the last night we prepared cards with our info. Not one, nada, zip, nil of the other couples had written anything down.

Conversely we still sail (occasionally) with two couples that we met ten years ago. Exchange Xmas cards, call every few months etc. Go figure.

We have met more people that started out great in post cruise meetings but over time fizzled out.

We have found that length of cruise has a lot to do with it. On a 14 day cruise one is more apt to connect or not; definitely yes or definitely no. A seven day cruise is too short to make anything more than a tentative assessment as to the chances the other couple(s) will be BFF or not.

If anything it's an interesting dichotomy unique to close quarter dining on a cruise ship.

Edited by PoppyandNana

If you are a doctor, and tell people you are a doctor, or have "Dr." on your sail and sign card, then people are probably going to ask you medical questions. If you aren't telling people you are a doctor, and they are following you to the point that you are uncomfortable, you need to say something! Surely, being a doctor, you have dealt with difficult patients and family members. If people are bothering you, it is up to YOU to speak up. Or call security if the situation is that bad.

What if you don't have security at home? My daughter and her husband are both physicians yet we are not allowed to ask medical questions. My daughter, will on occasion, assist in making and interpreting medical reports. Son in law? No way anytime. He is an orthopedic surgeon and when I recently had three surgeries on my hand he never said a word, asked how I was feeling or anything.

Interesting situation. We run into this every cruise. To exchange email info or not? We have had it both ways. Last cruise we "connected " with two couples. Laughs every night, met for drinks, sat together at shows. Well, you know the routine. Nothing was said one way or another but on the last night we prepared cards with our info. Not one, nada, zip, nil of the other couples had written anything down.

Conversely we still sail (occasionally) with two couples that we met ten years ago. Exchange Xmas cards, call every few months etc. Go figure.

We have met more people that started out great in post cruise meetings but over time fizzled out.

We have found that length of cruise has a lot to do with it. On a 14 day cruise one is more apt to connect or not; definitely yes or definitely no. A seven day cruise is too short to make anything more than a tentative assessment as to the chances the other couple(s) will be BFF or not.

If anything it's an interesting dichotomy unique to close quarter dining on a cruise ship.

there's a few fellow cruisers that are now facebook friends with me. that seems to be a good way for me to stay connected with them.