Cabin water is CLEANER then bottled

Moltar

There must be a difference in the balance of minerals between what's added to ship's water and what's in the bottled water, causing the reaction in my body (and in other's body) to retain water and swell.

You're in the ball park. Firstly, the water processing generally includes desalination and filtration. What is certain is that any salt is definitely removed. What is added back to the water is a different story. Nonetheless, it's very important to remember that the food on most cruise ships is terribly over salted in its preparation. You may not be adding salt at the table but, you may be adding far more salt to your diet than you realize.

A slew of CC past threads by marine engineers explain the processes in detail including what minerals/ chemicals are added to different water sources on the ship. OP needs to use the CC "search" function and do some research instead of asking a question that has been asked over and over again to other posters who haven't got a clue.

I will not dispute the water retention statements of PP's, but I have put forth some other causes than sodium in past threads, so I won't repeat these here.

Here is ship's water 101:

The water comes from 3 sources:

1. Flash distillation, where sea water is boiled and then condensed, creating distilled water, and the system typically generates water with less than 1ppm sodium, and will dump the condensate overboard if it gets above 10ppm.

2. Reverse osmosis filtration of sea water. These machines typically produce water with less than 10ppm sodium, and will dump the permeate (the drinking water side) overboard if it gets above 20ppm. If you have a water softener in your house, and need to go on a reduced sodium diet, it is recommended to install a reverse osmosis filter unit to remove the sodium introduced by the softener.

3. Municipal water taken on in port. This water must meet USPH requirements for sanitation, and is chlorinated and kept segregated until a coliform bacteria test comes back negative (18-24 hours). As examples, the latest Miami water quality test (2015) shows sodium content of 36-53ppm. NYC shows for 2015 a range from 9-63ppm. Therefore, if any sodium is to blame for water retention it is from whatever municipal supply the ship is using, not from the "higher sodium left from sea water".

Now, for chemicals. USPH does not allow anything to be added to drinking water except: chlorine for sanitizing, and Calcium Carbonate (the same antacid used in Tums) to neutralize the acidity of distilled water.

Bottled water: Desani's listed ingredients; magnesium sulphate (epsom salts), potassium chloride (a fertilizer), and sodium. These are the ingredients that Desani says they add to the water for flavor.

I looked at an Aquafina water quality "report", and if you look at the list of things tested for, all you see is "ND" in the findings column. When you look at the notes, "ND" means not detected at or above the minimum reporting level, not that those items are not present at all. But at least Aquafina does not add chemicals for taste. They do, however, introduce ozone into the water to sanitize it, but ozone can cause the plastic in the bottle to leach into the water.

Bottled water is the biggest scam ever....You can fill a refillable bottle for "convenience sake", if you feel the need to have water in your hand at all times.

Any bar will give you a glass of ice water whenever you ask...no charge at all! Just say "Thank you"!

I will not dispute the water retention statements of PP's, but I have put forth some other causes than sodium in past threads, so I won't repeat these here.

Here is ship's water 101:

The water comes from 3 sources:

1. Flash distillation, where sea water is boiled and then condensed, creating distilled water, and the system typically generates water with less than 1ppm sodium, and will dump the condensate overboard if it gets above 10ppm.

2. Reverse osmosis filtration of sea water. These machines typically produce water with less than 10ppm sodium, and will dump the permeate (the drinking water side) overboard if it gets above 20ppm. If you have a water softener in your house, and need to go on a reduced sodium diet, it is recommended to install a reverse osmosis filter unit to remove the sodium introduced by the softener.

3. Municipal water taken on in port. This water must meet USPH requirements for sanitation, and is chlorinated and kept segregated until a coliform bacteria test comes back negative (18-24 hours). As examples, the latest Miami water quality test (2015) shows sodium content of 36-53ppm. NYC shows for 2015 a range from 9-63ppm. Therefore, if any sodium is to blame for water retention it is from whatever municipal supply the ship is using, not from the "higher sodium left from sea water".

Now, for chemicals. USPH does not allow anything to be added to drinking water except: chlorine for sanitizing, and Calcium Carbonate (the same antacid used in Tums) to neutralize the acidity of distilled water.

Bottled water: Desani's listed ingredients; magnesium sulphate (epsom salts), potassium chloride (a fertilizer), and sodium. These are the ingredients that Desani says they add to the water for flavor.

I looked at an Aquafina water quality "report", and if you look at the list of things tested for, all you see is "ND" in the findings column. When you look at the notes, "ND" means not detected at or above the minimum reporting level, not that those items are not present at all. But at least Aquafina does not add chemicals for taste. They do, however, introduce ozone into the water to sanitize it, but ozone can cause the plastic in the bottle to leach into the water.

Why do you state facts? People are just going to believe what they want..facts be damned. ;)

It is fun to read all the anecdotal unscientific theories. And if paying more for bottled water then you pay for gasoline makes you feel good...then so be it. But the topic has been discussed a lot over many years and a few experts have weighed in on the topic. The most likely culprit is the food onboard ships which come from commercial kitchens (called the galley) where cooks add salt to darn near everything in order to improve flavor. And the best way to help one's self is to actually increase your daily intake of water...which helps the kidneys flush out excess sodium.

Another interesting idea came (a few years ago) from a physician who suggested that just standing in shoulder high water (in the pool) for long periods of time will decrease swelling in the lower extremities (the water pressure forces excess fluids out of your tissue). We have had some mixed results with this idea. It also solves the mystery of why some of your skin (like on your fingers) will look like a prune after long periods in the water.

But my personal solution (which is based on science) is to simply drink large amounts of alcohol on cruises :). Alcohol is great at dehydrating the body...and at any rate, if you drink enough you won't care if you are swollen.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

You are not the only one. I swapped out ship water for primarily bottled water a while ago and it made a big difference in my swelling. Agree it seems on this site if it doesn't happen to me it can't be true. What's the big deal, we drink what works for us and they drink what works for them. Wouldn't it be a pretty boring world if we were all the same?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

The ship's water makes me all swollen too. It took me until day 4 or 5 of a 7 day two cruises ago to realize that's what it was. Last cruise I drank only bottled water & was fine. From now on, bottled water only for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Twice I have had terrible water on a ship. Once it tasted musty and stale. The other time the water from the tap, the shower and the toilet was BROWN and disgusting! Someone must have opened the wrong valve and the water became contaminated.

Sandy

Chengkp, With your background perhaps you can answer a basic question. Have you any idea how many pounds/kilos of salt are used in the galley on a typical week cruise?

Hank

Not a clue, but it comes on mostly in large boxes (5 lbs?) and by the pallet.

Twice I have had terrible water on a ship. Once it tasted musty and stale. The other time the water from the tap, the shower and the toilet was BROWN and disgusting! Someone must have opened the wrong valve and the water became contaminated.

Sandy

There are no cross-connections allowed between drinking water systems, and any other system on the ship, so there could not be a "wrong valve" opened. Typically, yellow to brown discoloration of the water is caused because the calcium carbonate used to control Ph tends to form a scale on the inside of the pipes. As long as the water is flowing in the pipes (and ship's water is constantly recirculating, not sitting still in the pipes like at home) this scale stays in place. When a section of piping is drained for repairs, this scale dries out and falls off the pipe walls, and when water flow is resumed, it is carried around the system. The branch lines between the mains that run down each corridor and the individual cabin bathrooms are stagnant legs, and this scale will tend to accumulate here. Running the water for a couple of minutes will usually clear up this discoloration.

While unpleasant to look at or use, this water is still in no way harmful to you.

Edited by chengkp75

I didn't like the taste of the ship's water on our last cruise, so I am taking my refillable filtered water bottle on our next cruise. Maybe it will filter out the odd taste should there be one. At meal times I tend to drink ice tea and lemonade.

The whole "bottled water is better than tap water" thing is one of the greatest marketing scams in history. Fiji Water is one of the worst. If you want to pay for water you can just as easily get out of the tap in most places, that's up to you. But it's not better for you and it's absolutely not eco-friendly.

10 days TA from winter to the Caribbean= normal feet

8 nights in the Caribbean= swollen feet

10 nights TA back to winter= back to normal feet.

Drank only ship water

I blame the unaccustomed heat.

I think it's the heat for me too. Except for dinner I drink bottled water on the ship and I swell really bad.

I don't buy bottled water at home except a few to keep in my trunk at all times. But, on the ship the drink package includes bottled water so I drink it. It is more convenient on the ship and it's easy to make sure I am drinking my 60-80 oz a day. I would not pay ship prices for it that's for sure.

Just thought you should know.

The water produced on your ship is the purest H20 you can get without going to a Science Lab.

Just wondering if the people who bring bottled water by the case or cases realize that even that water isnt as clean as the water on the ship.

we were on a HAL cruise a few years ago..

I ran a bath..the water was like mud..

I went down to the desk to tell them,

there was another woman there..

she had a glass of water..

it also looked muddy..

she put it on the desk..

and said..

here you drink this " sh . t "!!

Edited by jannandjohn

we were on a HAL cruise a few years ago..

I ran a bath..the water was like mud..

I went down to the desk to tell them,

there was another woman there..

she had a glass of water..

it also looked muddy..

she put it on the desk..

and said..

here you drink this " sh . t "!!

Sucks to be you in that situation. RCCL I never had that issue, you should consider switching lines. HAL is owned by Carnival Corp.

Edited by Moltar