What are your biggest cruise pet peeves?

Panda3

I didn't want to add to the "poor etiquette" string and I'm sure there are other strings out there but just wanted to hopefully start a fun thread and maybe it will bring awareness to any offenders.

What are your pet peeves, things that will spoil your own cruise. From minor annoyances to biggies?

I'll start with my two main annoying things. Note: I don't let them win and spoil my cruise, it's just annoying.

1. Chair hogs - Folks that get up early put their towels and an inexpensive personal item (flip flop) on multiple lounger near the pool. (my sister does this and I won't travel with her anymore, so rude). The flip side, Crew that won't do or say anything about it.

2. Rushing into the elevator before people have exited (and going in before elderly/disabled folks)

I didn't want to add to the "poor etiquette" string and I'm sure there are other strings out there but just wanted to hopefully start a fun thread and maybe it will bring awareness to any offenders.

What are your pet peeves, things that will spoil your own cruise. From minor annoyances to biggies?

I'll start with my two main annoying things. Note: I don't let them win and spoil my cruise, it's just annoying.

1. Chair hogs - Folks that get up early put their towels and an inexpensive personal item (flip flop) on multiple lounger near the pool. (my sister does this and I won't travel with her anymore, so rude). The flip side, Crew that won't do or say anything about it.

2. Rushing into the elevator before people have exited (and going in before elderly/disabled folks)

#2 bothers me here at my office building, not just on cruises.

My pet peeve? When they run out of Coconut Ranger cookies! Make more! Make more! :D:D:D

People smoking on their balconies and the smoke drifting on to our balcony. :mad:

It is a pet peeve but I don't allow it to ruin our holiday.

I am with you on that one!

My other peeve? People who yell over a distance to their family/friends, rather than walking over and talking face to face. I really don't care about your conversation!

People smoking on their balconies and the smoke drifting on to our balcony. :mad:

It is a pet peeve but I don't allow it to ruin our holiday.

Smoking is not allowed on balconies. Report them and they will be fined. If it continues, they will be put off the ship.

I think I must be the only person in the world who is bothered by this as I've never heard anyone else complain but my pet peeve is the plastic plates in the buffet.

I rarely eat in the Windjammer, not because I don't like the food but because I don't like eating from the plates.

An annoying issue to me is after a day in port when everyone is in line to re-board the ship there will be some people who act like they have never done this before (and yes I know some are newbees). They will wait until they get to the front of the line and act shocked that they have to get out their cruise card to return to ship. I can forgive this on the first or even second port for newbees but by the last port they should know this. So we all stand around while they dig through their bags trying to locate the card. This doesn't ruin my vacation but it is annoying.

Chris

Hmm. I'll have to think if there is anything that counts as a "pet peeve." I don't care about sitting close to the pool, so the chair hogs are not a personal bother to me. And I hardly ever use the elevators, so that's not a peeve. Smoke from neighboring balconies used to be, but I haven't experienced that, since they banned balcony smoking. (I'm sure it still happens from time to time, but I haven't encountered it.)

I suppose one peeve is people who congregate in traffic areas and seem clueless that they're in the way. I've seen this with kids parking themselves on stairways or groups of people standing in the middle of the "track" on the sports deck.

An annoying issue to me is after a day in port when everyone is in line to re-board the ship there will be some people who act like they have never done this before (and yes I know some are newbees). They will wait until they get to the front of the line and act shocked that they have to get out their cruise card to return to ship. I can forgive this on the first or even second port for newbees but by the last port they should know this. So we all stand around while they dig through their bags trying to locate the card. This doesn't ruin my vacation but it is annoying.

Chris

There's always someone who does this when as he/she is getting off the ship for a port day and that is with staff members reminding everyone to have their seapass ready as we stand in line. And this person seems surprised they have to scan it and holds the line up as they dig through purse/wallet to find it.:D

I have to say that I never let anything ruin my cruise but I do laugh at people a lot!

Sherri:)

Parents that are on vacation and don't supervise their kids.

Kids that hang out and sit on the main stairways and don't move for you.

Parents that let their kids push every button in the elevator.

Windjammer table hogs - save multiple seats and tables when it is very busy.

Long lines at Guest Services. Need an express window for quick questions.

Large groups walking very slowly who don't move over to let you pass (elderly not included).

Very tight slot machines!

I will go back and read your replies, but for me, seeing a person berate, belittle, and otherwise abuse a front level employee over something they had no control over. We've probably all seen this, but my most vivid example came on my Navigator cruise in '09. We were in Belize and had a powerboat Snorkel excursion booked through the ship. It took awhile to tender to the port, and find out waiting area for our excursion. We waited an hour beyond our departure time when a Royal crew member came and told us the boat broke down and our excursion was canceled. We would be refunded 125% of our excursion cost and we would have to go the Exploration desk for the credit. I was greatly dissapointed as it was only a 2 port cruise and my wife picked what she wanted for the other port.

Once I got back to the desk on ship, I waited behind another man who screaming at the person behind the desk and beating his fist on the counter and saying all the stereotypical things like, "I paid thousands of dollars...... I want to talk to your boss...... I've never seen such incompetence.... and much more. When he walked away I actually apologized to that person for that previous person's behavior and politely got what I was seeking.

[*]Rushing into the elevator before people have exited (and going in before elderly/disabled folks)

[/b][/size]

That's where being 6'2 220 can help. If I'm on the elevator trying to get off, I usually win a standoff.

[quote=Paul65;50155153

I suppose one peeve is people who congregate in traffic areas and seem clueless that they're in the way.

Good one. I think I even mentioned that in my Jewel 2014 review. I have turned this around and make note of when people actually say excuse me, or acknowledge me when I step aside so they can go by.

But your right, I think the exact wording in the review I mentioned was, "When people get confused about where they are going, why to they always stop at a choke point?"

There's always someone who does this when as he/she is getting off the ship for a port day and that is with staff members reminding everyone to have their seapass ready as we stand in line. And this person seems surprised they have to scan it and holds the line up as they dig through purse/wallet to find it.:D

I have to say that I never let anything ruin my cruise but I do laugh at people a lot!

Sherri:)

At least most of the time there are multiple lines and suddenly everyone behind that person bails into the other line.

I think I would have to say the people who rudely push past the washy washy girl in the Windjammer. Personally I think if you don't washy washy you shouldn't get to eaty eaty, after all if you make me ill I won't be able to eat for days.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

1) Kids in the hot tubs acting like idiots.

2) People who think it's smart to go to the Windjammer (or any other ship's buffet) and save a table while their partner goes to get food, then they go. How is that smarter than just getting food together and then finding a table together? They are wasting valuable time when someone has a tray of food and no table, but someone with no food is hogging a table.

3) The fact that every cruise eventually has to end. That's just the worst!

1) Kids in the hot tubs acting like idiots.

2) People who think it's smart to go to the Windjammer (or any other ship's buffet) and save a table while their partner goes to get food, then they go. How is that smarter than just getting food together and then finding a table together? They are wasting valuable time when someone has a tray of food and no table, but someone with no food is hogging a table.

3) The fact that every cruise eventually has to end. That's just the worst!

Although I understand it, I do not agree with #2. If it is prime time, (especially the first day) at the Windjammer.....if we see a table, we will grab it and do as you described above. How much "valuable time" is wasted? On the other hand...nothing is worse than balancing a tray of food and coffee..looking and looking for a table, as people bump into you and you are walking around in circles. Now there is coffee all over my tray and our food is ice cold.

Because I go, get what I want in about 2 minutes and my wife has to examine every item at every station before making up her mind, so that won't work. If I happen to grab a table for 2, it would be unavailable to you or anyone else anyway. On occasion if the only table open is a table for 10, I sit at one end and invite others with that look in their eyes to share the table.

As for #1, That's why I like the solarium hot tubs on Voyager and above ships.

Edited by BillOh