Cruise With No Passport

I want to take the cruise listed below:

8 Day Eastern Caribbean Cruise from Miami

Departs Miami on select Saturdays.

Depart, At Sea, Grank Turk, Laromana, Dominican Republic, Curacao, Aruba, At Sea, At Sea, Return

For Grank Turk, (Laromana, Dominican Republic,) and Aruba will I be able to first take the cruise and second get off at the port of calls for a port excursion?

I would like to be able to sample the food, view the city and souvenir shop?

Thanks in advance for your reply,

TravelerLloyd

If you are US Citizens doing a closed loop cruise to/from a US port, then you do not need a passport. You will not need it at the ports either. You will need your certified birth certificate (not the one from the hospital) and a gov't issued photo ID. You may need your photo ID to re-board the ship at some ports. They will let you know that before you debark.

Edited by Warm Breezes

No one can provide an accurate answer on required documentation without knowing your citizenship, country of birth, and even what cruise line you'll be taking. Luxury cruise lines commonly require all passengers to have a passport.

No one can provide an accurate answer on required documentation without knowing your citizenship, country of birth, and even what cruise line you'll be taking. Luxury cruise lines commonly require all passengers to have a passport.

Quite true. This is the proper answer.

Plus 1

If you are a US citizen, you would be able to take that cruise with a certified copy of your birth certificate and a government issued photo ID.

Actually, for the OP, this is the correct answer.

He is not asking about a luxury cruise, and this post makes clear that the Birth Certificate option is for US citizens.

Well I wanted to edit this post to add the information needed but can't find an edit button.

I am a US Citizen and will be leaving Miami, FL and returning to Miami. FL

On Carnival?

Actually, for the OP, this is the correct answer.

He is not asking about a luxury cruise, and this post makes clear that the Birth Certificate option is for US citizens.

The original post has not one word about the cruise line being considered. It only mentions the itinerary, which could be offered by any cruise line.

Well I wanted to edit this post to add the information needed but can't find an edit button.

I am a US Citizen and will be leaving Miami, FL and returning to Miami. FL

On Carnival?

Yes, we still need to know the cruise line. We also need to know if you're a US citizen who was born in the USA, a US citizen at birth but born abroad, or a naturalized US citizen. The requirements differ for each of those circumstances.

Edited by njhorseman

Everyone is getting their answers tied up with complicated responses. Here is the simple answer -

If you are an American citizen;

and if you are reasonably certain that you will not be doing any trips except closed loop cruises in the next 10 years;

and if you are certain that there is no chance at all that you will have to leave any of your closed loop cruises early and fly home;

and if you are certain that your state currently has or will have available by the federal deadline an enhanced ID driver's license prog

then you do not need a passport.

If you can not answer "yes" to all 3 of these question, then you should have but do not need a passport.

Really simple.

DON

Everyone is getting their answers tied up with complicated responses. Here is the simple answer -

If you are an American citizen;

and if you are reasonably certain that you will not be doing any trips except closed loop cruises in the next 10 years;

and if you are certain that there is no chance at all that you will have to leave any of your closed loop cruises early and fly home;

and if you are certain that your state currently has or will have available by the federal deadline an enhanced ID driver's license prog

then you do not need a passport.

If you can not answer "yes" to all 3 of these question, then you should have but do not need a passport.

Really simple.

DON

It's so simple that you got it wrong.

There is no federal deadline for enhanced drivers licenses. There are only about 6 states that issue EDLs, and they're all on the border with Canada. You're confusing enhanced drivers licenses with REAL ID compliant drivers licenses. But even the REAL ID licenses are not at this time required for cruising. Under current regulations they will be required for airline flights and admission to federal facilities.

Thank you very much, I should have a passport, but do not need one, I am in Missouri and I know they do not have the enhanced driers license or state ID

You still haven't said whether you're a US citizen at birth who was born in the US. That's the only instance where a birth certificate can be used. A naturalized citizen or a US citizen at birth who was born abroad needs different documentation.

It's so simple that you got it wrong.

There is no federal deadline for enhanced drivers licenses. There are only about 6 states that issue EDLs, and they're all on the border with Canada. You're confusing enhanced drivers licenses with REAL ID compliant drivers licenses. But even the REAL ID licenses are not at this time required for cruising. Under current regulations they will be required for airline flights and admission to federal facilities.

You are right about the drivers licenses. Sorry. I do believe that the rest of my post is accurate however.

DON

However, my advice is to get a passport. It lasts 10 years, and is the gold standard for ID when leaving the USA.

Not all native born, U.S. Citizens can get passports. Certain criminal convictions, child support arrearages, and a few other things can make one ineligible for a passport.

JoJo

(has a passport)

Yes, I was born and raised US citizen all my life in the heart of the Midwest.

OK...then a government-issued birth certificate (not one issued by a hospital) and government photo ID such as a drivers license will be all you need for a Carnival closed loop cruise leaving from Miami.