What's your Favorite Mixed Drink on a Cruise - What's in it?

patchofheaven

My husband and I are generally wine drinkers, when we drink at all, but on vacation we like to try new things and we like to let loose and usually consume more alcohol than we do during the rest of the year. :D We've had Bloody Mary's, Long Island Ice tea and Crown/Coke on previous cruises. Other than that, neither one of us has had much experience inside bars or ordering drinks for that matter - so we are up for suggestions. I guess I'm a little apprenhensive about wasting money on a drink that I won't like.

What's a good mixed drink/cocktail?

What is your favorite?

What's in it?

Ting mojito from the Red Frog Pub was my favorite drink of the cruise.

Below is a recipe for recreating Carnival’s Ting Mojito at home.

Muddle 2 Lime Wedges and 5-7 Mint Leaves

Add the following:

1.50 ounces Absolut Ruby Red Vodka

1 ounce Grapefruit Juice

.75 ounce Fresh Lime Juice

0.75 ounce Simple Syrup

Top with Ting Soda

I don't often have mixed drinks but every now and then enjoy sipping on an after dinner Brandy Alexander.

Traditionally made with brandy, creme de cacao and heavy cream. A couple of years ago Carnival started substituting half and half for the cream. If you order stirred, not shaken, it will be a little less watery.

My husband and I are generally wine drinkers, when we drink at all, but on vacation we like to try new things and we like to let loose and usually consume more alcohol than we do during the rest of the year. :D We've had Bloody Mary's, Long Island Ice tea and Crown/Coke on previous cruises. Other than that, neither one of us has had much experience inside bars or ordering drinks for that matter - so we are up for suggestions. I guess I'm a little apprenhensive about wasting money on a drink that I won't like.

What's a good mixed drink/cocktail?

What is your favorite?

What's in it?

Lime Daiquiri or something we never have had.

Mudslide Definitely a dessert drink

1 oz Vodka

1 oz Kahlua

1 oz Baileys Irish Cream

1 oz Milk or cream

1 cup Ice

Garnish:

1 Chocolate syrup

HOW TO MAKE THE MUDSLIDE COCKTAIL

Add all the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.

Drizzle chocolate syrup around inside of glass.

Pour the Mudslide into a Martini or Hurricane glass.

I never turn down a margarita (on the rocks), but I lean towards the slightly bitter, herbal taste of Campari-based cocktails, like the Americano (Campari, soda, and sweet vermouth). It's my current favourite.

As long as we're talking Margarita, opt for the real thing (kept as originally intended by Tommy's in SF):

Good (really good) Tequila (like El Tessoro Reposado); agave nectar, fresh lime juice - on the rocks. Skip the triple sec or Cointreau/Grand Marnier and the gosh awful sweet/sour syrup mix used in cheap bars. Likewise, steer clear of that Cuervo Gold swill.

For a truly classic retro cocktail: Aviation. Ingredients are Bombay Sapphire Gin, Maraschino Liquer, fresh lemon juice and just enough Creme de Violette to cause a storm cloud in your glass. Add a Bada Bing cherry (real Bing cherry vs that neon red one) Sadly, most ships won't have the Violette or the Bada Bings.

Finally, how about a Sazerac (straight from NOLA)? Templeton Rye, simple syrup and a touch of bitters in an absinthe coated glass with a lemon peel twist. Again, for a ship, they may not have absinthe (I bring my own in an airline sized little bottle - plenty for a couple dozen Sazeracs).

Search out these drinks online for the right ratios of ingredients. You will not be disappointed. And always remember to steer clear of the "well" booze - all "rot gut."

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Long Island Tea....1/2 oz each Vodka, White Rum, Gin and Tequila. Sweet n sour and a splash of Coke. Hells Fury......equal amounts of Everclear, Absinthe, and Bacardi 151. Mash a small piece of a habanero pepper in a glass. Pour chilled liquor over [emoji892].

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As long as we're talking Margarita, opt for the real thing (kept as originally intended by Tommy's in SF):

Good (really good) Tequila (like El Tessoro Reposado); agave nectar, fresh lime juice - on the rocks. Skip the triple sec or Cointreau/Grand Marnier and the gosh awful sweet/sour syrup mix used in cheap bars. Likewise, steer clear of that Cuervo Gold swill.

For a truly classic retro cocktail: Aviation. Ingredients are Bombay Sapphire Gin, Maraschino Liquer, fresh lemon juice and just enough Creme de Violette to cause a storm cloud in your glass. Add a Bada Bing cherry (real Bing cherry vs that neon red one) Sadly, most ships won't have the Violette or the Bada Bings.

Finally, how about a Sazerac (straight from NOLA)? Templeton Rye, simple syrup and a touch of bitters in an absinthe coated glass with a lemon peel twist. Again, for a ship, they may not have absinthe (I bring my own in an airline sized little bottle - plenty for a couple dozen Sazeracs).

Search out these drinks online for the right ratios of ingredients. You will not be disappointed. And always remember to steer clear of the "well" booze - all "rot gut."

I know the Alchemy bar has Absinthe. I drank Death in The Afternoon and an Absinthe drink with what I think was water poured over a sugar cube.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Love the Aviation. Total Wine sells Creme de Violette. I invented a variation -- make an Aviation in a shot glass and pour it into a glass of Champagne. I call it a French Flyer.

But in Mexico, I drink what Mexican people do -- not a Margarita, a Paloma. Tequila, fresh squeezed grapefruit juice, sal t rim, top with club soda. Much lighter, less sweet, fewer calories. I use grapefruit salt on the glass.

Cheers!

Edited by s2kreno

I love a Cosmopolitan (basically, a "designer" martini) made with Absolut Citron vodka, Cointreau (not triple sec), a splash of cranberry , and a lemon twist (or small wedge of lime ). Definitely a drink to sip, not gulp!!! Enjoy!:D