Twice a day cabin cleaning

Honolulu Blue

Which statement best reflects your feeling about cabin cleaning?  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Which statement best reflects your feeling about cabin cleaning?

• I refuse to cruise on a ship that services cabins less than twice a day
    • I prefer twice a day service
    • I have no preference about how often a cabin is serviced
    • I prefer once a day service

For those of you who can't see the poll and its choices, this is what is says:

Which statement best reflects your feeling about cabin cleaning?

* I refuse to cruise on a ship that services cabins less than twice a day

* I prefer twice a day service

* I have no preference about how often a cabin is serviced

* I prefer once a day service

----------------------

Hi guys. Are you ready for another unscientific survey? Of course you are! :)

First a little background: Carnival, on some of their ships, is experimenting with presenting its passengers on their first day with a form asking them when they preferred their cabins to be serviced - morning, evening, or both. There has been much discussion that board on the subject, but I wanted to ask the more general cruising public about it.

Thank you in advance for your responses and calm, reasoned discussion.

I definitely prefer twice a day. One of the things I love about cruising is the luxury of a fresh washcloth in evening, towels neatly rehung, fresh ice in the ice bucket. I even look forward to see what new towel animal will make an appearance.

So if passengers still have the option of choosing twice a day service, what issue does the Carnival populous have with this? :confused:

I'm glad you asked. There were/are a couple of issues that I'm aware of:

1. Early in the trial/experiment, there was no choice on the form for "both" morning and evening service. Some cruisers could have been confused that they had to do choose one or the other.

2. There have been reports that some cabin stewards have encouraged cruisers to choose or the other, rather than both.

I cannot imagine anyone not wanting morning service - who would want an unmade bed in the cabin all day. Also, since we generally shower - or at least wash up - before dinner, we want things picked up before we come back to the cabin for the night.

At some point, cutbacks have to hit a wall. Of course, I can imagine NCL offerring "FREE". cabin cleaning and turn-down service as one of the several options along with drinks package, dining package, or internet package.

As a single, senior, male cruiser, as long as my bed is made and the cabin is tidied in the morning I'm satisfied. I can turn down my own bed at night; after all, I do that to my own bed at home.😊 During my recent stay in the hospital and subsequent stay in a convalescent hospital, I told the nurses/care givers that I was "very low maintenance", and I showed that by rarely made any requests of the staff. They had plenty of work to do as it was and demands by other patients.

Once a day is more than enough for me. More seem superfluous and unnecessary. I don't use new towels every time I wash my hands at home, I don't need it on vacation. If a hotel offers a choice of reduced service, I take it. I don't need to contribute to all the waste of water and energy that excess laundry requires. What I do at home is fine for me on vacation.

Once a day is more than enough for me. More seem superfluous and unnecessary. I don't use new towels every time I wash my hands at home, I don't need it on vacation. If a hotel offers a choice of reduced service, I take it. I don't need to contribute to all the waste of water and energy that excess laundry requires. What I do at home is fine for me on vacation.

Having things better/more/different that I do at home is what makes a vacation for us. Twice a day for me please!

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking. The headline question asks about cleaning the cabin, but all the options refer to servicing. As I understand it, the steward usually services the cabin in the evening without doing a full clean. Which is fine by me - so which option is that?

(Actually, I don't really care. If my bed's made and there are no obvious signs of dirt, I'm happy.)

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking. The headline question asks about cleaning the cabin, but all the options refer to servicing. As I understand it, the steward usually services the cabin in the evening without doing a full clean. Which is fine by me - so which option is that?

I quoted this one, but it also applies to the post immediately below it. I used "service" and "clean" interchangeably in my post and poll. It's not a full clean in the evening, but they do SOME cleaning along with other servicing. Therefore, I consider that they do cleaning - and servicing - twice a day. I apologize for the confusion.

Edited by Honolulu Blue

I definitely prefer twice a day. that has always been part of what makes cruising special. Returning to the cabin after the evening's activities and finding the bed turned down, a towel "creation" and the lights dimmed (plus all the wet towels from showering changed) is the BEST !!

And what would Carnival (your example) offer to the passengers who choose less service provided? (Other than, of course, the obvious potentially lowered expected gratuity for those who choose it - which of course also affects the stateroom attendants income, who have no choice in the matter).

At home we always have our bed made in the morning and our bathroom picked up in the evening.

No reason for us to expect less on a cruise!

Is Carnival Cruise Line the only one offering the option of the Only Once a Day cabin service?? :confused:

I prefer to have my cabin cleaned/serviced twice a day. I also tidy up the cabin myself a couple of times a day. The steward empties trash, makes the bed, changes towels. I clean up my own clothes, make sure trash is in the can, etc. I do my part and the steward does theirs...seems like a fair situation.

And what would Carnival (your example) offer to the passengers who choose less service provided? (Other than, of course, the obvious potentially lowered expected gratuity for those who choose it - which of course also affects the stateroom attendants income, who have no choice in the matter).

I'm going to dodge the grats issue because I've seen how many of those threads turn out.

Anyway, Carnival is currently offering nothing for choosing once per day service vs. twice per day, but I've been in hotels that offered small perks for choosing NO service.

Is Carnival Cruise Line the only one offering the option of the Only Once a Day cabin service?? :confused:

Apparently so. Part of the reason why I started this thread is to see if other lines were doing the same thing. I think I would have heard by now if they were. But make no mistake - your favorite mainstream cruise line's executives are watching this closely. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see this implemented elsewhere.

I'm going to dodge the grats issue because I've seen how many of those threads turn out.

Why? It's a logical possible scenario associated with the question your poll presents with a possible result that could impact the income to the stateroom attendants.

The comment was not posed to create a debate on the merits of gratuities but only to point out a potentially real situation resulting from a reduction in service as outlined in your poll.

As a result I don't think it can be dodged and likely is well realized by any cruise line that you speculate may be considering this change in service. To avoid it only turns a blind eye IMO to a real possibility that could result from this.

Edited by leaveitallbehind