What cruise ship jobs will be automated first?

ren0312

So might be an economics related question, but in opinion of the people here, what jobs in a cruise ship are likely to be impacted most by automation? I know that cruise ships try to practice labor arbitrage by hiring from third world countries, but eventually the cost of automation will be so low that it will be be cheaper than even using Indonesians or other people from 3rd world countries, so what jobs will be most likely to get replaced, like robot cooks and self order kiosks?

RCI has robotic bartenders on some ships, and Celebrity has a smaller photo staff due to an automated photo system, enabling the purchase of photos from your stateroom TV. So, I guess automation has already started making its way on board.

Hi All,

I could see guest services staff being reduced with FAQ's on the TV and a messaging system to get other questions asked.

The robotic bar on some Royal Caribbean ships is a gimmick, we used it once just for the experience but won't use it again. We do like the personal touch from bartenders.

Photos on the TV is really good, you can choose in the comfort of your own room without searching on racks for your piccies. We were impressed when we used it. They do have machines on Royal Caribbean that you can order photos from.

I can't see those staff that need to use their hands being replaced by robots anytime soon, don't know of a robot that can make a bed or cook.

Pete

Rumour has it that Tesla will be looking at cruise ships after they've managed to stop their driverless cars from crashing. ;)

So if you're a cabin steward or a waiter, no worries.

But ships' captains might haver to take early retirement :D

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Carnival has kiosks that do a few tasks like printing out bills and making change. They also have a system where you can book excursions on the TV. They're baby steps in the grand scheme of things.

Beyond the obvious stuff, I figure cruise ships will be one of the last places to automate because 1) they really need all those hands, and 2) labor's not that expensive considering the passengers are paying a good chunk of it. Still, it will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Rumour has it that Tesla will be looking at cruise ships after they've managed to stop their driverless cars from crashing. ;)

So if you're a cabin steward or a waiter, no worries.

But ships' captains might haver to take early retirement :D

JB :)

We won't see toooo many 'automated bridges' (after too many airline disasters, due to balky autopilots). Seems even the few humans that are present when a system is on auto, tend to lose focus, and drift off into La La land, and fail to prevent the crash. Personally, I'd hate to be asleep in my cabin bed, awaken to news that Captain Microchip and Lt. Diode had mistaken a onrushing ship for a floating log.::(

Mac

Carnival has kiosks that do a few tasks like printing out bills and making change. They also have a system where you can book excursions on the TV. They're baby steps in the grand scheme of things.

The Vista and Sunshine also have self-service beer kiosks. Personally I'd love to see Coke Freestyle machines so I could get my Raspberry Coke and Peach Sprite on board and not have to try to get a bartender's attention just to get some value out of my Bottomless Bubbles.

Personally I'd love to see Coke Freestyle machines so I could get my Raspberry Coke and Peach Sprite on board and not have to try to get a bartender's attention just to get some value out of my Bottomless Bubbles.

I'm not sure what all lines have those, but I know RCI does.

The Vista and Sunshine also have self-service beer kiosks. Personally I'd love to see Coke Freestyle machines so I could get my Raspberry Coke and Peach Sprite on board and not have to try to get a bartender's attention just to get some value out of my Bottomless Bubbles.

I'll second the vote for the two best Coke Freestyle things.

I think it'll be the on board customer service people, just have it done via the TV or apps, and kiosks, and when you need to call someone, they can just direct the phone to the land based call center.

I foresee that the attendants who request that you use the hand sanitizers will be replaced by large hulking robots with multiple arms that will snag the non-compliant and dangle them in front of the dispenser until they comply. They could even be enabled to say "Washy Washy or else". :eek::D

Not sure how often they inspect the exterior hull condition but would not be surprised of this is done by drone and HD camera soon (if not already). Like a pilot doing a pre-flight walk-around. With small radio location beacons this could be largely automated.

RCI has wine bars on some ships that are automated self-serve and pour different size glasses for sampling.

Not sure how often they inspect the exterior hull condition but would not be surprised of this is done by drone and HD camera soon (if not already). Like a pilot doing a pre-flight walk-around. With small radio location beacons this could be largely automated.

RCI has wine bars on some ships that are automated self-serve and pour different size glasses for sampling.

Ships less than 15 years old, can have an underwater survey midway through the 5 year drydock period. Older ships cannot have this done, and must be drydocked twice in 5 years. Not sure how much a ROV would benefit, as the surveyors are always talking to the divers about what they are seeing, feeling, and things that can't be communicated by an ROV submersible.

How about food prep? I could see pre-prepped and bagged ingredients. A robot could be fed a program to make a certain dish. The robot could pull the appropriate bag, dole out a measured portion, mix or bake or deep fry... Could have a "Meat chef" robot - you could calibrate a "touch meter" that would be able to touch the meat on the grill and, depending on the cut and wellness, know when to pull it off get grill.

Some of the cooks I've seen work in the restaurant kitchens work just like this, anyway - every thing made exactly according to the printed recipe in front of them, no creativity at all. Especially in a large volume environment, like a banquet kitchen or ship's kitchen, that is what we get, anyway. Special orders could still be offered and done by a MUCH smaller culinary team.

Dining room waiters -- when all meals will be served high school cafeteria fashion.

They do seem to spend a lot of time on escalators and in the kitchen carrying heavy trays with food. I wouldn't be surprised when at least part of getting food from the galley to the right station gets automated.

Edited by AmazedByCruising

WHAT?? Show me the proof of too many airline disasters, due to balky autopilots. You seem full of something and I can smell it from here. Everyone I've read about, I'm an A & P Mechanic and a Pilot has been a disconnect of the autopilot followed by the PICs failure to recognize the problem and take over the Aircraft which is Pilot Error!

http://WWW.cnn.com/2013/07/09/world/commercial-passenger-airplane-crashes-fast-facts/index.html