Good First Cruise?

allthetravel

I have been lurking here on Cruise Critic and researching a ton on the websites of different cruise lines. Being in California, I would like to go to Alaska (with Princess), Mexico (undecided), and Hawaii (with NCL). I'd also love to fly to Florida and do a Caribbean cruise with Royal Caribbean. What's a good first time cruise?

I would go with Princess to Mexico for a first cruise. Living in Ca. there would be no airfare which would save a least $500.00 for 2, and no hotel would be needed if you live in Socal. Princess sails the Ruby and Emerald out of Long Beach, they are great mid-sized ships for a first cruise. I would stay away from Carnival as they are older ships with a party atmosphere, also go for a 7 day rather than a 3-5 day cruise.. I hope you get hooked, happy cruising

You will get lots of differing opinions on this topic. A lot depends on cost, things you want to do and timing. I have done three of your options, never Hawaii as we prefer resorting there, and I would recommend Alaska. Beware though that your time window is limited to May to September. In a similar vein Mexico tends to be winter as the lines flip the west coast ships. If you look at a particular line or ship you will see that a week in Alaska is always more expensive than a week in Mexico which reflects popularity.

Your biggest issue with Alaska is whether to do a one way or a round trip out of Seattle

Good luck on your choices

I would go with Princess to Mexico for a first cruise. Living in Ca. there would be no airfare which would save a least $500.00 for 2, and no hotel would be needed if you live in Socal. Princess sails the Ruby and Emerald out of Long Beach, they are great mid-sized ships for a first cruise. I would stay away from Carnival as they are older ships with a party atmosphere, also go for a 7 day rather than a 3-5 day cruise.. I hope you get hooked, happy cruising

Princess actually sails out of the port of Los Angeles, in San Pedro. Carnival sails from Long Beach

Our first cruise was from anchorage to Vancouver. A week before the cruise, DH, our daughter, 2 granddaughters and I flew up to anchorage, rented a car and spent a week driving around.

We then met the rest of the family: our SIL, his mom and our son for the cruise. We all had a fabulous time!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Viv0828

Welcome to the world of cruising! For a first cruise I wouldn't stray too far from California as my departure port. Save flying to Florida for a Caribbean cruise when you know you actually enjoy cruising. Hawaii involves many 'at sea' days, kind of risky for a first time.

I have seen some 'west coast coastal' cruises, either Celebrity or Princess, I believe. Even if all the ports are ones you are familiar with it will give you the opportunity to experience cruising.

Good luck!

Barbara

I'd suggest a 4-day sailing out of Long Beach to Catalina and Ensenada with Carnival. It's short and cheap so it's a great toe-in-the-water experience to see if you'd want to invest more time and money going on longer trips.

That's what my first cruise was and it got me well hooked...

[YOUTUBE]aSdVsMw8XqU[/YOUTUBE]

I have been lurking here on Cruise Critic and researching a ton on the websites of different cruise lines. Being in California, I would like to go to Alaska (with Princess), Mexico (undecided), and Hawaii (with NCL). I'd also love to fly to Florida and do a Caribbean cruise with Royal Caribbean. What's a good first time cruise?

Unless you select the Alaskan cruise out of SF (10 days) round trip on Princess, you'll have to travel to Seattle, Vancouver, or Anchorage/Whittier to start an Alaskan cruise. You can book a repo from LA to Vancouver (those would be in May; the reverse of Vancouver to LA would be in September or October), but if you want to pair that with an Alaska cruise, you have to be careful of which cruises you pair up to avoid violating the PVSA, which the cruise lines won't allow you to book anyway. Princess does great with its Alaskan cruises.

Carnival is the one cruiseline that has Baja (3 or 4 day cruises out of Long Beach) and week-long ones to the Riviera all year round. some other cruise lines will have these cruises or variations but not all year round. Princess has coastal cruises that go up the coast, sometimes to Oregon, but there's a stop in Ensenada (to satisfy that PVSA) unless it goes up to Vancouver.

If you take to cruising and have two weeks for a cruise, consider the RTs to Hawaii out of LA, Long Beach, San Diego, San francisco (depending on the line). Princess has ones out of LA (San Pedro) and SF, which has a wonderful Hawaiian cultural program. We've done this cruise three times on Princess and love it (no flying as we can drive to the Port of LA) and love the sea days -- the time in Hawaii is the bonus for us. Some cruise lines will have one-ways to or from Hawaii (these require a stop in a foreign port so Vancouver or Ensenada will be included).

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Seeing as you live in California, it does probably make sense to pick a cruise that departs from the West coast. However, you don't mention cost as being a major contributing factor.

Unlike a poster who mentioned a four-day cruise, I would recommend beginning with a 7-day. Four day or shorter cruises tend to be more "booze" cruises for people to relax and party, which is okay if that's what you want. However, for a true cruise experience a 7-day is more the norm. I also feel a Caribbean cruise (if you don't mind flying) is a better first cruise experience.

All the major cruise lines are more alike than different. Do your research on the line and the particular ships you are considering. There can be a big difference in ships, entertainment, cabin choices, etc. as well as the ports visited.

Edited by Grandma Dazzles

I agree with previous poster . Go for a 7 nighter for a good 1st time experience . Shorter cruises often attract those that try to squash everything into 3 or 4 nights . The hassles of boarding and debarkation are the same no matter what the length .

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our 1st was an Alaska one-way NB for the simple reason we were apprehensive about ship motion and the inside passage is like cruising on a lake - except when crossing the Gulf of Alaska. We quickly determined we are not affected making our later transatlantics great experiences despite heavy sea days. But being as we lived in Minnesota at the time not flying was not an option. Now that we live close to the port in Seattle not flying certainly has appeal ($$$). Even though Seattle R/Ts go outside Vancouver Is. in the open water we are cool with that.

I'd recommend a week-long cruise to Mexico for someone from California. It would depend on your age as to which cruise line I'd recommend. Carnival isn't a bad cruise line if you're young. Princess would be my choice for someone over 40. Princess and HAL are my choices for Alaska.