Considering First River Cruise

LaCat3

I am considering taking my first river cruise next year in Europe. Although I have often cruised alone, I am curious as to what the average percentage of solo cruisers are on most European river cruises?

I appreciate any feedback/advise you can give me.

THANKS!

When I saw your title, I was going to suggest scrolling down and reading the handful of topics that talked about folks considering their first cruise.

But, it appears your question is about SOLO river cruising.

Since the title will not get as many responses, you might do a search on the word SOLO in just this forum. I would expect you will find some threads on how many cruise solo, and those lines that will give a reasonable price break vs charging for a double.

Last year on our Scenic Bordeaux cruise there were several solo cruisers and the cd organised a few different events for them including a special meet and greet. As I have never solo cruised I don't know if this is normal or it was because of the numbers but it was appreciated by all. CA

Grand Circle and Vantage are two US companies who sell only directly (they do NOT sell through Travel Agencies) that have significant marketing to solo travelers. These are moderately priced companies (no river cruise is inexpensive). I am not a solo traveler, but my guess would be that on those lines it is common to find a dozen solo travelers out of 150 passengers. River boats tend to be pretty open and friendly, so IMO a good option for solos.

Agree with previous poster.

Since river cruisers are generally more open to interaction because of the compactness of the ship, frequent small group activities, and open seating at meals, it's much easier to mingle on a river cruise.

Go for it!

Occasionally Uniworld offers price breaks for solo cruisers. I, too, agree that it is easy to mingle on river cruises. DH sometimes wants to relax instead of taking an afternoon excursion. I've always had a good time going on my own or sometimes DYI-ing it in port.

As a single on 2 Uniworld cruises I had no problems finding people to sit with at meals and talk to on excursions. The open seating means you can easily join a table for 6 many of whom won't be in couples. Otherwise you can find a table for 4 to join; on my second cruise I usually ate with a couple and another single, but sometimes chose to sit elsewhere. It was very easy.

AMA has friendly solo passenger pricing. Viking RARELY has friendly solo passenger pricing. Also, you do not have to take a single room, single supplement pricing is available for most rooms on ships.

If you look at the price schedules on the various lines/itineraries you will find 'single supplement' policies in the 'fine print' below the schedules.

In the last 2 months I've seen a surprising increase in discounts/offers for single travelers. I suspect a slow down in booking is making singles more attractive to the cruise lines.

On some cruises I have been the only solo passenger and others one of several. I've had no problem finding companionable fellow travelers.

All this after 9 European river cruises with more booked.

I've done 8 cruises with Vantage and I would say there's always 1 or 2 singles on board but after the first day you'd never know it. As Thom said Vantage encourages singles to travel because of the intimacy of the ship and the open dining...river cruising just lends itself to meeting and mingling probably because there isn't a whole lot else to do on board. On their newer ships, which I haven't been on, I understand that Vantage has some dedicated cabins for solo travelers...we've always been very satisfied with their cruises.

Tauck does not generally charge a single supplement for certain cabin categories. So you get an entire cabin for yourself for the same price doubles have to share. This attracts singles since it is not a single (read smaller) cabin but rather a full regular cabin.

Their ships carry fewer passengers than other lines so everyone gets to mingle in the smaller groups.

All inclusive and highly recommend.

Did my first river cruise last year, and it was as a solo on Uniworld. Loved it, and there were several other solos on board. As has already been mentioned, the very nature of river cruising with its small number of passengers and in many cases, included excursions, makes it very easy for solos. At least that was my experience. I highly recommend it.

Roz

I always travel solo and took my first river cruise in April. Loved it and had no problems with meals or anything else. People on a river cruise are very easy going and friendly. Booked Avalon next year for the Xmas Markets. They have French balcony cabins on sale at very reasonable prices with no single supplement. AMA also has no supplement but only for cabins with the two high Windows, not the panoramic Windows, which I love as you can get up very early and watch the world go by in your nighties.:D

.... not the panoramic Windows, which I love as you can get up very early and watch the world go by in your nighties.:D

Unless you're rafted...then standing by that window in your nightie could get VERY interesting.:D

Edited by Hydrokitty

Unless you're rafted...then standing by that window in your nightie could get VERY interesting.:D

I don't care if someone on another ship sees me in my pajamas. (I generally don't wear a nightie.) As long as I am covered so what?

On a number of occasions I have put a robe on over my pajamas and gone up on deck to take sunrise pictures. I don't care that I'm not "properly dressed".

Edited by gnome12

I'd much rather have a small single supplement on a regular cabin than than on a smaller single cabin. If you compare the price of a single cabin to the per person cost of the same quality double cabin you will usually find a built in supplement. Better to watch for sales that really waive single supplements.

I just returned from my 12th river cruise with GCT....all solo. GCT allows one solo cabin per category. They have six categories meaning six solos. Due to this, I had to book 15 months in advance to get the cabin and date I wanted. They always have last minute deals but not for solo travelers. You can book one of their last minute deals as a share and hope you don't get a roommate. These deals can save you up to $2500 on some trips.

Edited by rogerdawhip