All Things Avalon

FuelScience

Looking for opinions on a couple included excursions on our Rhine and Moselle cruise in October. Black Forest and cuckoo clock or Black Forest and open air museum? Roman Trier or Trier sightseeing? Sayn Manor House or Koblenz walking tour? Horne walking tour or Edam and Beemster Polder?

Thanks.

We'll be taking the Trier Roman tour in a couple of weeks and I'll try to post. Our traveling companions will be doing the Trier sightseeing tour.

FuelScience

Hello Suzanne123,

Looking for opinions on a couple included excursions on our Rhine and Moselle cruise in October. Black Forest and cuckoo clock or Black Forest and open air museum? Roman Trier or Trier sightseeing? Sayn Manor House or Koblenz walking tour? Horne walking tour or Edam and Beemster Polder?

Thanks.

In the Black Forest I would go for the open air museum, I seem to remember when looking at this optional tour for a CC member that the look of the museum made me think that it is superior to the cuckoo clock. You can buy cuckoo clocks not just on the optional tour but it is certainly the most convenient place. A difficult decision, hmm...

Trier, even tougher decision, let us see what FuelScience says.

In Koblenz, a walking tour is a great way to see the town, but the Sayn manor house is a nice trip out with a difference. You will be going to a restored palace that houses an iron works museum and learn about the history of the princely family of Sayn. If that is what the optional description states. There is a butterfly park next to the manor house. I like the village of Sayn. Again not an easy choice.

Perhaps this will help with your decision: http://www.sayn.de/en/schloss-sayn

Cannot help at all with the Netherlands, I am afraid.

Have fun planning and a great cruise.

notamermaid

Well, it didn't take us long to work out the logistics and we've booked the cruise I mentioned above today. We're in a Panorama Suite on the Royal Deck of the the Paris -> Beaches of Normandy cruise that departs on October 1st. (Anyone else here on that sailing?) My husband mentioned that he's actually more excited for the Avalon cruise than he is for the New England/Canada cruise we're doing on the Grandeur of the Seas next month. (We've already done that itinerary, so it wasn't really a surprise to hear him say that.)

Just found this thread after booking our first Avalon cruise, first river cruise. We are going on Tapestry II, same as you I think, but at the end of October. I may have lots of questions for you upon your return!

No, a tour of Parliament is not included. We booked a visit from home (advised) and it is definitely worth while. At the end there is a very interesting exhibition.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

No, a tour of Parliament is not included. We booked a visit from home (advised) and it is definitely worth while. At the end there is a very interesting exhibition.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info! Will definitely book!!:D

Can anyone please tell me whether there is a line of escalation further up the Avalon Waterways chain if I am dissatisfied with how a complaint has been handled by its Australian office?

Booked top deck on Avalon MS Felicity from Amsterdam to Basel. Was allocated Cabin 328 at end of ship as it was the last cabin left. Was worried about engine noise factor pre-cruise, and raised this with the Australian sales office (not once but multiple times! - by myself & via travel agent), but was assured that noise would not be an issue as the cabin was sound insulated and engine was far away from the top deck.

However, when the ship started moving, the noise was so unbearable (continuous droning of engine, vibration was so bad at times the cupboard doors were flapping, ear plugs wouldn't have helped as the vibration could be felt through the bed). Was so distressed I couldn't wait for cruise to end (even considered leaving the cruise at one of the ports). Since the ship mainly travelled between ports during the night, it meant many sleep deprived nights!

In all fairness, it would have been a great cruise (if in a good cabin), but could not truly enjoy the holiday when stressed, tired and felt cheated that the true information had been withheld. The staff on board were great, and were clearly aware cabins at the back are noisier, which begs the question why the staff in Australia didn't.

Was it incompetence or lack of integrity??? If I had not asked pre-cruise, I would have accepted it as the luck of the draw. The fact is I did ask. And if they had told me the true situation when I asked, I would have happily chosen another cruise or made an informed decision whether to proceed with this cruise.

Lodged complaint upon return to Aus, & after a long wait & several follow-ups, they came back with an unacceptable response & refused any further correspondence.

So can anyone please help and advise whether there is a further line of escalation?

Never had an issue and loved the cabins at the back due to location near the lounge at back and the coffee close by! Sorry it was not for you. The only time we really heard or feltthe engines was when the boat needed to dock which involved considerable power. We could hear & feel that all over the boat.

Sailed the Illumination and thought Avalon was great.

Here are the contacts for Avalon.

http://elliott.org/company-contacts/avalon-waterways/

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can anyone please tell me whether there is a line of escalation further up the Avalon Waterways chain if I am dissatisfied with how a complaint has been handled by its Australian office?

Booked top deck on Avalon MS Felicity from Amsterdam to Basel. Was allocated Cabin 328 at end of ship as it was the last cabin left. Was worried about engine noise factor pre-cruise, and raised this with the Australian sales office (not once but multiple times! - by myself & via travel agent), but was assured that noise would not be an issue as the cabin was sound insulated and engine was far away from the top deck.

However, when the ship started moving, the noise was so unbearable (continuous droning of engine, vibration was so bad at times the cupboard doors were flapping, ear plugs wouldn't have helped as the vibration could be felt through the bed). Was so distressed I couldn't wait for cruise to end (even considered leaving the cruise at one of the ports). Since the ship mainly travelled between ports during the night, it meant many sleep deprived nights!

We had the same cabin # and the same bad experience with noise and vibration on the Panorama. Awful!

I did not find them to be receptive or responsive to complaints like this. Hope you have better luck.

You can try these contacts for Avalon Executives

Avalon Waterways

Avalon Waterways is an American ship and river cruise line owned by the Globus family of brands, which offers cruises in Europe, China, Southeast Asia, the United States, South America and the Galápagos Islands. Globus, or Group Voyagers, is headquartered in Littleton, Colo.

5301 South Federal Circle

Littleton, CO 80123

http://www.avalonwaterways.com/

Phone Contacts

Main: (877) 797-8791

Customer Service: (877) 380-1535

International: +44 161 475 9716

Posted Hours of Operation:

– Monday – Friday 6:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. MST

– Saturday 7:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. MST

– Sunday 7:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. MST

Email Contacts

info@avalonwaterways.com

Customer Service Resources

The United States contact form.

The United Kingdom contact form.

Social Media Contacts

Facebook

Twitter

Google Plus

Executive Contacts

If you contact the company by email, you should receive a substantive reply within one week. If you don't, it's safe to assume you're being ignored. Before you reach out to one of these managers, please review these FAQs, which will increase the odds of a successful appeal. Remember to start with the primary contact and work your way up the hierarchy. Don't just start with the CEO.

Primary Contact

Patrick Clark

Managing Director

Littleton, CO 80123

pclark@avalonwaterways.com

Steve Born

Vice President of Marketing

Littleton, CO 80123

sborn@avalonwaterways.com

Chief Executive

Phillip Gordon

Littleton, CO 80123

pgordon@avalonwaterways.com

Researched by Joshua Floyd and filed under Cruise Line.

Last updated: February 24, 2015.

The names, numbers and addresses were collected from publicly-available resources and are believed to be accurate at the time of the last update. Here's how we find our information. If you need to make a correction or change, please use this form.

Edited by JVilleGal

Thanks.

Hi Suzanne,

We did the Trier tour yesterday. There are 80 people on our cruise. 20 took the Roman Trier tour and 60 did the regular tour. The big difference was that the Roman Trier tour spent some time in the imperial baths, and we had a guide who'd studied archaeology. Both tours left from Grevenmacher where Avalon docks. The regular tour had more free time (1 hour vs. 30 minutes) in downtown Trier before getting back on the bus to Grevenmacher.

So our guide talked about the Roman history of Trier on the 30 minute ride into Trier. The imperial bath (Konigsbad) tour was good. We were underground for most of it and learned a lot about Roman baths.

I would recommend the Roman tour unless you want more free time for shopping.

Hope this helps,

FuelScience

Thanks so much for your reply. I was leaning that way, as DH is a history buff and would probably enjoy the Roman Trier tour. Leaping across a couple thousand years, we're doing the optional tour to the Maginot Line as well.

I'm going to take notamermaid's advice and do the open air museum and the Sayn Manor House. If by chance you do those tours, let us know how you liked them.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise. Water levels OK?

Hello Suzanne123,

I do hope you will enjoy the tours and my advice proves to be good. For a history lover the Maginot Line will be great I am sure. I have not been there (only close by) but have been told it is intriguing.

Water levels on the lower Moselle and the Rhine are lowish but fine, but the way. I am quite confident - with the rain that we will be having on Monday and Tuesday possibly - that the water level will stay good for the next two weeks.

notamermaid

Thanks so much for your reply. I was leaning that way, as DH is a history buff and would probably enjoy the Roman Trier tour. Leaping across a couple thousand years, we're doing the optional tour to the Maginot Line as well.

I'm going to take notamermaid's advice and do the open air museum and the Sayn Manor House. If by chance you do those tours, let us know how you liked them.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise. Water levels OK?

I think you'll enjoy it. Cruising toward Zell as I write this sitting in the shaded outside lounge area on the front of the ship! Weather is lovely, but as notamermaid said in her note, the rains are coming.

FuelScience

We’re just back from our first river cruise. Oh my, like so many others, we are hooked! What a wonderful vacation! I hope to write a trip review but wanted to start with a ship review and address many of the things that I had wondered about.

We have traveled a fair amount and have done a lot of ocean cruising primarily on Royal Caribbean but again this was our only river cruise so I have no personal knowledge of the other lines (although in planning I read a lot about the other lines). I hope I can help some others in their planning. We were extremely lucky in that we had no river level issues whatsoever and almost no rain the entire trip. Budapest and Vienna were a little warm, but the only time it bothered us at all was when we walking through Margaret Island in the middle of the day. The mornings and evenings were cool.

Itinerary-We absolutely loved the itinerary! Of course we have never been to any of these places before so that could be influencing our opinion. If history, royalty, and beautiful places interest you, you’ll be in heaven! We wanted to go to the Rally Grounds in Nuremberg and that was a part of why we chose this itinerary. I We were told by others that the Danube isn’t as pretty as some rivers, but being our first, we thought it was really pretty and the cities and towns wonderful! There was obviously plenty to do in each of our large cities but by choosing itineraries we were able to mix things up so it wasn’t always a church or a castle. There were sights that really distinguished them! i.e. Spanish Riding School in Vienna, Hospital in the Rock in Budapest, and The Jewish Museum in Prague. If there was any way to stay another night in Vienna that would be wonderful, but I can see that that would be a problem (it’s a very busy port!). Although we were only on it a short time being on the Rhine Main Danube canal was interesting as well. Unless we were in port we didn’t see any other ships so it didn’t feel like the river was crowded to me! We did raft a few times, but I knew about it and it was really a non-issue, except the night we came back from Vienna late and tired & having had a couple glasses of wine and forgot and couldn’t find our ship! Ha ha…it had moved away from the dock and was rafted on the other side of a AMA ship. Turned out to be great because all of their passengers were away at the concert still so we got a mini tour of an AMA ship (they even offered us a drink or some wine).

Ship & Entertainment-The Passion is a brand new ship and she is absolutely beautiful! Spotless, extremely tasteful, & well laid out. I’m a little picky and although I don’t need luxurious, I do need my accommodations to be really clean, in good repair, and updated if older (more on this later). The Passion more than fit the bill and we were so comfortable on her! Our first night I did notice the vibration of the ship that is constant when the ship is moving (it’s not a starting & stopping situation when, of course, you expect some noise). Like I said, we’ve done a lot of ocean cruising so we’re are used to ship vibration and noise. The vibration bothered me a lot when I tried to sleep the first night but my first night anywhere there’s always something that bothers me! I definitely need to nest, ha ha! After that it didn’t bother me at all. I can’t imagine that all ships don’t have some ship noise. We were middle floor, mid ship. The wi fi was sketchy unless we were in a big city. This is also a big problem for us. A fellow passenger said that it was because too many people were on it, but I can assure you that’s not the case. I was up by myself anywhere from 4-6am and it frequently was terrible. I don’t know if this is an Avalon or Danube problem. The pianist was very good, but I must admit we were not in the lounge as much as I would have thought, especially at first. We had been very busy in Budapest and on a river cruise dinner is at 7 so by the time we finished eating and visiting in the dining room or staying in port i.e. Vienna, we were frequently off to bed. The crew show was sweet. The guest entertainer on the farewell night was very good, but he was supposed to be playing dance music and I felt like the regular pianist was better at that.

Stateroom-Gorgeous! Including bathroom. Spacious. Loved the balcony in the room! We often opened the curtains all the way, all the time. I cannot say enough about it! Lighting was great. There was not a bedside clock which I need (we somehow lost ours in the shuffle of packing!), but there is one on the TV. I did use their blow dryer and it was fine. Toiletries are L’Occitane and I didn’t use the lotion because of the light lemon scent. We did use the soap which also was lemon but the scent didn’t get on you. Avalon’s big advertisement of the bed facing the river was nice, but for us a non issue. I think we were in bed noticing the river once.

Laundry service-Don’t be afraid to send them your clothes! Wow, what a difference from RCCL! Folded neatly, shirts & slacks on hangers, I was impressed!

Staff & crew-Our ship was either full or nearly full. For the most part that didn’t seem to phase them. We only had a couple of small concerns and they were handled immediately. If Avalon reads these reviews, shout out to An, Liza, & Kim! Our stateroom attendant was great. There was one particular waiter in the dining room who was outstanding, most were very good, and there were a couple that while trying very hard, were not quite there yet. The dining room seemed disorganized a couple of the nights. Selections were completely mixed up many times. There were two nights in the dining room when my husband was never offered coffee.

Front desk/guest services-We felt like there was an undercurrent of annoyance from the daytime staff. Now, I know I couldn’t do their job for 1 day. I’ve talked to others who have gotten out of that job because of having to deal with issues all day, everyday. I don’t think that there were very many complaints on this ship. It seemed it was constant questions about what was probably to them stupid stuff, but river cruising has become so popular that almost everyone was a first timer. This was a big issue for us. I didn’t discuss this with other passengers (not my nature) except for one elderly couple we had befriended. I witnessed her interaction with the guest services staff several times and was very upset with how she was treated. She was as well. This couple had traveled extensively around the world and were so very kind and interesting. I don’t think they were the least bit demanding. She expressed that she felt the same about the cruise director as well and had some issues in the dining room i.e. she could only eat a certain kind of bread they had and could not get them to bring it to her. On most lines (even RCCL) once you tell them you want/need something they have it there for you every night. They were quite able bodied and active elderly people who may have required just a touch more help.

We had very little interaction with the hotel director, captain, etc, but when we did they were always helpful and pleasant.

Cruise director-I honestly don’t know how she did it! There were so many of us! She was funny, very intelligent, and well traveled. She knew a lot about all of the places we were going. She ran a tight ship. Evidently there were some minor problems with boisterous passengers late at night. It was never an issue for us, but she handled it very well.

But, my husband and I had not discussed it at all and on about the 5th day of our cruise I said that I felt an undercurrent of annoyance from her. My husband who rarely notices that sort of thing, concurred. We were not difficult or high maintenance in any way, I can assure you! And were quite independent so we rarely needed anything from any of them. Again, this was a big issue for us. She did make some mistakes which were quite an annoyance to others, not so much to us. i.e. After we were given back our passports, most passengers were under the impression we would not need them again (I can’t remember if it was announced). The day we went to Salzburg & Cesky almost everyone on every bus had to go back to their stateroom to get their passports. We knew that we were entering a different country so knew to have them. I think it should have been a major announcement at the prior evening port talk. Another time she listed an important excursion as included when it wasn’t. There were other issues throughout the cruise that I honestly can’t remember now, but some guests that we befriended who were on their 3rd Avalon cruise said she dropped the ball much more than any other CD they had had. This was brought up by them, not us. Now, again, I can attribute this to the large number of people that she had to deal with, but the undercurrent of annoyance was what really bothered us.

I know it’s your opportunity to let them know but we did not fill out the questionnaire about this as she was to be our contact while we were in Prague as well. We also did not think the questionnaire was very well designed and did not like having to fill it out before our interactions were completed.

Tours/Excursions-For the most part all were very good and were what we expected. Some guides were outstanding. Most spoke very good English, but some still had a strong accent. At times it was difficult to understand them, but they made up for it with their enthusiasm, passion, knowledge, etc.

I was extremely disappointed about one situation. We had chosen to do the concert in Prague instead of the one in Vienna in great part because it was to be held in the Mirror Chapel of the Clementinum. It is prominently advertised in their program as the location. It was a site I really wanted to see. It was never corrected or any notification given. So I was quite surprised & upset when we arrived at a completely different venue. Our guide informed me that the venue is undergoing restoration and has been closed for some time and that Avalon knows this and has known for some time! The concert was excellent! I don’t know what tours are included with the all inclusive cruise lines, hopefully as many as Avalon. This could make a significant difference in the cost. It seemed that a lot of people were doing optional excursions. We only did a few, not because of cost, but because we are fairly independent and were able to do things on our own. In Cesky our guide on the bus personally took us (we were the only ones interested) to the castle and helped us acquire tickets for the castle tour and a tour of the Baroque Theater. Then he took us to a spot to grab a sandwich on the run and got us headed in the right direction before joining back up with the main tour. He even pointed out the sights as we passed by them! As for the included tours, we prefer to go inside any site we want to see and would lose precious time by doing the included tour. I asked a lot of specific questions about the included tours beforehand. Particularly where they started and stopped. By doing so I was able to figure out the logical order they would follow and used them to our advantage…ie transportation to the castle in Prague and leaving out of my itinerary in Budapest what was in the included tour so we didn’t see the same thing twice. Several times we left the tour after thanking the guide. The Wachau Valley tour was done very well by the cruise director and the Rhine Main Danube Canal talk was excellent!

Food & wine-OK so I’ve read over & over this is subjective! But for the most part, we thought the food was delicious! It was the right temperature, cooked correctly, and we thought, well seasoned. I don’t eat beef or port and had no trouble mixing and matching to have excellent meals. We even did the Bistro dinner one night and I had forgotten to inform them of my dietary restrictions ahead of time. There was enough variety, plenty of dishes, and with my husband trading a bit, I was able to have an excellent dinner. There were themed breads, dishes, and desserts for every port. They had my favorite Budapest dessert the first night of sailing, Esterházy Walnut Cake! I did read Robin’s report that they didn’t have this on their cruise, but on ours there were local dishes at every meal. I will say that the breakfast buffet was probably the least liked by us. The fresh fruit overall was not very good and that’s huge for us. We don’t eat large breakfasts so omelettes, eggs, sausage, etc don't do anything for us. It’s mostly fruit, cereal, granola, and yogurt. I didn’t like their yogurt. Our only other complaint was the one night we had a buffet dinner. It was just not nearly as good as all of the other meals. We were concerned as this was only our second night on the ship. I went through the entire buffet line and had practically nothing on my plate. I had to go back through and still had a hard time finding anything! But that was not an indication of things to come. The Bavarian lunch was delicious and a blast! The wines were very good and our glasses were kept full. There were always at least 1 red & 1 white and usually a couple of both or either. I’m a Gruner Veltliner convert! The wine tasting was fun and well done, but the host was very soft spoken and the event was well attended, so we had a hard time hearing her (and people were not being unreasonably loud). The beer tasting was great as well. Now, overall, I will say that this is not 5 star dining, but the food was very good and really exceeded our expectations.

Fellow passengers-This was a highlight for us! A lot of people were sailing with others. We were among the few who were not, but we had no trouble meeting or joining others. We had a lot of Canadians on our sailing. I felt like a lot of the people were our age (59 & 69). But my husband says the average age was a bit older than us. For the most part, very nice, well traveled, interesting people! Most were trying, like us, to see the world and partook of every opportunity to see the sights on our trip. Like I mentioned we have sailed on Royal Caribbean a lot and this was so refreshing for us. There were people who partied a bit more than we, but it definitely was not the focus! At dinner there were no tables for two and I think it did lend itself to interaction. Not dining alone was not a problem for us as I can’t think of a single person on our ship who we would not have enjoyed dining with! We were offered a table by ourselves or to join others the night of our Bistro dinner and we did choose to have a romantic dinner alone! We ate off the ship in Vienna and the 3 nights each in Prague and Budapest so we had plenty of alone time on our trip!

Pre & post cruise accommodations-So we had decided to take this river cruise on the recommendation of a couple of sets of friends both of whom had done the pre & post cruise nights. And the vast majority of our ship had done so as well. Now that I’ve done one, I will most likely book them independently. When we added on the night in Budapest, I checked the price if I were to book it myself and it was about the same as Avalon was charging. I probably could have done a bit better. But especially with our accommodations in Prague, I want more control. So the Intercontinental Budapest was a great location. We arrived a day earlier than most of our fellow passengers so we ungraded to a river front view and it was spectacular! The hotel was great and the room as well. I think it could use a little refurbishment, but I’m pretty picky and I was very comfortable there. The staff was great and the included breakfast was wonderful. The fruit was excellent (which I wish Avalon had picked up before we sailed!). Now the Hilton on the river in Prague was another story! It had a separate bathroom with just a sink and commode which I wish every hotel had. It really came in handy! But the hotel needs a major refurbishment. I also did not think that it was clean enough…our carpet was stained and felt like there was no pad at all! I had to wipe everything down before I put things away. I didn’t attempt to get an upgrade because we all arrived at the same time and were assigned rooms so I figured the chance was slim. Also, we arrived much earlier than I had anticipated so as soon as we got to Prague we took off exploring and didn’t get to the hotel until 10pm that night! So I don’t know if the river views were good. Fortunately our luggage was in our room, particularly since our door was left open with the door ajar, I feel certain for the entire time we were out! The location was acceptable (we were close to a metro which is all we need) but not ideal. We were a long way from the castle. Internet was not included. When we were approaching the hotel I could see that many windows were opened and assumed that was not a good sign. Sure enough our air conditioning barely worked. We kept it on the highest fan level and coolest temperature it could go the entire time and it never got very cool! If we had been unable to sleep because of the temperature or if we had arrived earlier I would have requested a different room. I would be very interested to know if other cruise lines use this hotel. The staff was excellent and I used the concierge there several times for dinner reservations, guidance, etc Included breakfast there was excellent. One of our guides pointed out how ugly the Intercontinental looked as it was built in Communist times and I thought it looked a lot better than the Hilton did!!

Cost-I really felt like you get good value for your cost on a river cruise. But, I will admit that the undercurrent of annoyance we felt from guest services and the cruise director should not occur at this price point and I truly hate to sound like that! People should be kind no matter what you pay, but for the cost of river cruising, I sort of expect it! I felt the same way about the Hilton accommodations in Prague. For that kind of money, I expect the accommodations to be outstanding and convenient.

Bottom line-We loved our river cruise and vacation and would definitely love to do another! We already have next years travel planned and there are a lot of places we want to go that river cruising is not possible. Norway, land tour to Ireland & Scotland, etc that may make it a while before we can do another, but we will. When we started planning someone advised me to pick my itinerary, my ship, and my dates and choose according to that. I think that was really good advice. I chose a brand new ship that included Nuremberg and the exact dates we wanted to go. But that being said, next time for us personally, we will look at AMA, Scenic, or Uniworld first.

We’re just back from our first river cruise. Oh my, like so many others, we are hooked! What a wonderful vacation!

...next time for us personally, we will look at AMA, Scenic, or Uniworld first.

Welcome back! Glad you had a fun trip, and hope it's not too terribly long before the next one. :)

excellent and detailed review of your Avalon cruise. I agree the staff can colour your opinion and the quality of service delivery is important. likewise with food.

after 8 Avalon cruises we are going to try another operator and will be interested in the outcome. we enjoy travelling in Europe and cruising as well as experiencing the history and beauty of the places along the way.

enjoy your next cruise.

yes will look out for it. some do go to a lot of trouble to produce reviews and pictures and are valuable information.

will provide feedback on our next cruise. we appreciate a quality experience and have had some lovely times/memories that we value.

Avalon have great ships with comfortable cabins we liked that. plenty of choice in the river cruise business and we are ready for a change.