Rhine water levels 2016 and similar topics

notamermaid

Anyone know what going on with the update/notice on Viking site for Rhine River Cruise - no explanation, as it has with the Kembs lock due to maintenance etc)...

RHINE RIVER

AMSTERDAM-RHINE CANAL

• September 3rd Rhine Getaway aboard Viking Alruna
  • September 3rd Grand European Tour aboard Viking Bragi
  • September 10th Grand European Tour aboard Viking Alsvin
  • September 10th Rhine Getaway aboard Viking Tialfi

A link or a direct quote would be nice to understand what you are talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A link or a direct quote would be nice to understand what you are talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is the quote...That is why I asked it is confusing to just post that without any reasoning

here is the website

http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/my-trip/about-my-cruise/current-sailings.html

Hello M&Rsquared,

I have had a quick look and have not found anything specific. Sounds like maintenance work in the canal to me. But I could be mistaken. Viking is referring to the section between the river and Amsterdam. Hence the name, it is a connecting artery, a canal not a river stretch on the route from the Rhine in Germany to Amsterdam. I think that is a question for someone locally in the Netherlands or Viking itself.

notamermaid

Dear M&Rsquared,

Thank you for your inquiry. We appreciate the opportunity to provide an explanation for the update you noticed on the Current Sailings page of our website.

The referenced sailings have undergone minor itinerary adjustments due to construction work on the Amsterdam-Rhine Canal. Rest assured that all impacted guests have been contacted with the details.

M&Rsquared, thanks again for the opportunity to clarify. If you have any additional questions, we are always happy to hear from our Cruise Critic members at TellUs@vikingcruises.com.

Best regards,

Viking Cruises

Anyone know what going on with the update/notice on Viking site for Rhine River Cruise - no explanation, as it has with the Kembs lock due to maintenance etc)...

RHINE RIVER

AMSTERDAM-RHINE CANAL

• September 3rd Rhine Getaway aboard Viking Alruna
  • September 3rd Grand European Tour aboard Viking Bragi
  • September 10th Grand European Tour aboard Viking Alsvin
  • September 10th Rhine Getaway aboard Viking Tialfi

Hello franski,

quote: "Starting to watch temperatures now... we leave in less than a week. Is the long range forecast for the Rhine looking much the same?"

a reliable forecast is given for four days ahead and that is looking very good. Tonight and Monday will see some showers and the temperature will go down to about 25 to 26 staying around that figure for a couple of days. Sunshine and temperatures well over 20 will stay with us until the 3rd of September (varying between 24 and 31). After that might it be a little cooler, you will probably need a light jacket if you go on an excursion shortly after breakfast, but no need for big layers yet. :)

Bavaria and Munich as a "DIY post-cruise extension" sounds great, lots of shops in Munich if you feel the need to buy some extra clothes, but I do hope you have more time for the sights. I recommend the Englischer Garten (for a picnic) and the Alte Pinakothek (for the old masters): http://www.muenchen.de/int/en/sights/attractions.html

Have a great cruise.

notamermaid

Thanks so much - for the information, and the link to the attractions in Munich. We have booked a night in Weingarten (going to the Zeppelin Museum in Freidrichshafen)--> then 2 nights in Fussen before spending 4 nights on the outskirts of Munich (Vetterstetten). Forgive me if I have not spelled these names correctly!!

I would like to see Dachau (as would my friend) but our husbands aren't particularly interested, so we may send them to something technology and/or automotive related and go ourselves.

If the weather holds, a picnic in Englischer Garten seems like a great idea!!

Fran

Hello Fran,

German spelling, not that easy. Do not worry about it. I believe you will be staying in Vaterstetten East of Munich. It looks like a convenient place to stay and in the industrial area is the seat of the well-known German fine foods / delicatessen company Käfer. I wonder if one can get factory deals there (yummy)?

About the Rhine: the water level has fallen, there was not much rain (could have done with more), Koblenz is currently at 143cm.

notamermaid

There is widespread rain over Germany this morning and it looks as if Summer is finally leaving us. The temperatures are still pleasant, though. Soon we will be seeing the first wine festivals.

The water level is a little low but still fine. The rain helps. Hopefully the Elbe will profit, they could do with some water over there.

Koblenz is currently at 137cm.

notamermaid

Unusually for this time of year we are getting closer to another short heat wave. Temperatures will reach up to 31 degrees on Thursday. The water level is falling slightly. Koblenz is currently at 130cm. Not to worry too much yet, last year I reported on the 11th September that the level at Koblenz had fallen to 71cm the previous evening! That was low.

notamermaid

Here is an informative report on the current unusually warm weather: http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/summerlike-heat-to-hold-germany-this-weekend/59950704

Good news for outdoor activities, not so good for the water levels, especially in the struggling Elbe region. Will watch the gauging stations online closely.

notamermaid

We have booked a night in Weingarten (going to the Zeppelin Museum in Freidrichshafen)--> then 2 nights in Fussen

If the weather holds, a picnic in Englischer Garten seems like a great idea!!

Fran

Franski,

Looks like you already left for your trip. You might even be on your post-cruise expedition already!

We visited the Zeppelin museum in Friedrichshafen 2 years ago, while we were staying in Lindau for a few days. Very cool museum! I had no idea, but learned that there was a regularly scheduled flight (by dirigible) from Germany to Brazil in the 1930s. The dirigibles reminded me so much of cruise ships.

There is a Zeppelinbrunnen (fountain) a few blocks away that's worth a picture stop. Also, there is an observation tower (Moleturm) on the shore of the lake (Bodensee; Lake Constance) that is worth climbing, if the weather is nice, for the views.

We had a great time in Fussen, and hopefully you will also. Two nights there is enough to see the two most famous castles; hopefully you'll get out into the countryside and maybe drive to Linderhof as well.

Enjoy Munich. If you don't want to bring your own picnic to the Englischer Garten, just go to the Biergarten by the Chinese tower and eat there.

Edited by jpalbny

It is hot in the Rhine valley, the weather is still dominated by a High. The temperatures will reach up to 33 degrees tomorrow (around Mannheim it seems). The towns will feel a little stuffy, there is hardly any wind. A great time to be on the river, though!

The water level has not been affected much, Koblenz is at 145cm this morning, despite little rain. Pretty good for September and this heat.

notamermaid

We have been watching the weather but it never occurred to us to watch the river level. At least we can pack for the weather!

We are on Viking Amsterdam to Basel next week and are prepared for cooler temperatures and showers.

I appreciate all of the information about castles and the river experience that I have found here. Thank you!

We have been watching the weather but it never occurred to us to watch the river level. At least we can pack for the weather!

We are on Viking Amsterdam to Basel next week and are prepared for cooler temperatures and showers.

I appreciate all of the information about castles and the river experience that I have found here. Thank you!

Helpful Rhine River information/review/comments located at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2230700

Enjoy your trip!

Hello witt's end,

Forecast is for cooler temperatures next week, as you said. But it certainly will not be cold and still very enjoyable. The sugarbeet harvest has started and the grapes are ripening well. Perhaps you will get to see a wine festival. If not, Rüdesheim is a great town for getting at least close to that experience!

In the link M&Rsquared has posted you certainly can read some great advice from past cruisers.

Enjoy your cruise.

notamermaid

P.S.: Koblenz water level is at 138cm this morning.

Thank you hostjazzbeau,

while the Elbe is very low the Rhine has had a better water supply during Spring and therefore has had enough water all Summer. We are only now approaching low water that looks as if it might impact cruising soon. But also that is tentative as rain is coming! Temperatures will drop to the lower twenties as maximum during the day. Much more like what we are used to in September.

Koblenz water level is at 132cm this morning.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

While reading through the news and aticles on the Rhine river, well depending on what reporters and newspapers filter and google filters for you, one finds "the good, the bad and the ugly".

Right now, I am hit almost everyday by another person drowning or near drowning in the mighty river. Terrible.

The other day I read about a young man swimming in the Rhine to catch the ferry he had just missed :eek:. He reached safety.

Some accidents on the river go unnoticed and I do not read about them. It happened with one on the Lower Rhine (I found the news report quite belated this morning) involving - you might have guessed - another Viking ship. The name was not disclosed. On 19th August the vessel got stuck in the embankment near the town Rees. Due to a possible technical fault in the electrical system the ship run into the bank although three emergency anchors where thrown. The passengers stayed onboard as an evacuation in the shallow water proved very difficult. After initial repairs the ship was towed free by a container ship and the ship sailed downstream without the passengers who were taken to airports to catch their flights. It will have been one of the Viking itineraries that end in Amsterdam.

Luckily noone was hurt.

On an even happier note, there is an exhibition that I highly recommend (even though I have not seen it yet) if you happpen to be in Bonn soon, it is in the Bundeskunsthalle (there is a nice video embedded in the article that also mentions a photo exhibition at the LWR museum): http://www.dw.com/en/the-rhine-biography-of-a-european-river/a-19542321

2000 years of history of a European river in a nut (concrete) shell. I am looking forward to making a day trip to Bonn soon.

Oh, most importantly, the river level! Koblenz is at 125cm this lunchtime.

notamermaid

Hello lavendereye,

that is excellent to hear, and may it continue to be uneventful, yet full of great experiences. The River Queen is quite unique in the Uniworld fleet and as the German wikipedia site says built in 1999 but in "1930's style". I love it.

Have a great time.

notamermaid

• 2 weeks later...

We are having a very sunny weekend in the Rhine valley at mild temperatures. Yesterday I saw the first autumn mists floating over the river. Not much has happened lately, luckily, apart from small incidents like a mild bump of a barge against another and a World War II bomb found near the river at Duisburg, diffused succesfully without much disruption to everyday life.

But, here comes the negative bit. The river levels have fallen, as it is so sunny and there has been hardly any rain lately. Moselle and Rhine, as well as the Neckar, have "lost water" a bit so that the first gauging stations are reporting low status. It is a situation we reckon with every year, depending on rainfall August and September can be low. Last year was extreme though, to say the least. As these cut-off points for reporting low or normal water are based on a ten year statistical average, it does not mean one will automatically encounter problems. Yet it is something to watch. I will report back if it gets worse.

The weather will stay mild with more or less no rain forecast for the next three days.

notamermaid