Scenic Eleven Days Gems of the Danube with Prague

snorkle lover

We are taking this trip with Scenic the end of July. We will have two full days in Prague prior to the river cruise.We are wondering if we should book a tour or is there enough to see on our own walking around? Would appreciate any advice.

We are on Scenic in October and already know we will be at the Marriott.Check with your travel agent or Scenic and they should be able to tell you what hotel you are in. As mention before where your hotel is will make a difference if you are close to the Town Center and able to walk around and see a lot of things. I too have read our prior information and there is plenty of time to do things on your own. I think the day after arriving will be scenic's tour day. There are plenty of things to do. If you get a chance and you love music there are concerts all most every night and in many locations. Good luck

Edited by 515kitty

Prague is easily doable on your own especially with a good guidebook and a map (or app). Tours just really depend on what you want to do and how much info you want. There are companies such as Sandemans that do free walking tours. At the end you tip the guide what you think the tour was worth. We are spending a week in Prague before we meet up with our cruise and I have much planned, both formal tours and self guided touring. Lots of detail on my blog if you are interested.

we're on the Emerald Sun (a new subsidiary of Scenic)starting with 3 nights in Prague before we depart for a 7 night cruise ending in Budepest. We're taking a private Jewish Heritage tour on July 27th at 9:15am. Let me know if you are interested in more information on it.

Edited by dabear

Spring for a guidebook. We like Rick Steves. Prague has good public transit, just make sure you double check your route with the hotel concierge.

I can't recommend Sandemans . . . the tour we took in another city was full of misinformation. You might get a good guide, but . . . sometimes you just get what you pay for.

That sounds interesting, yes culd you share the information on the private Jewish heritage tour. Thank you very much!

It is a 3 hour combined transportation & walking tour with Nina O--- (see ninapragueguidedotcom for more details) with stops at certain old synagogues, cemetary and museum. She has many favorable reviews on Trip Advisor & we were impressed with her backround. The cost for 4 persons would be 2230CZK or $93 total + 480CZK entrance fees & transportation pp. She is picking us up at the Hotel Yasmin at 9:15am. Let me know if you wish to join us and I will send you our email address.

I think you will have quite a bit of time to do your own thing. My suggestion is to see what is listed on Trip Advisor for things to do. then research the items that you are interested in.

If you are taking taxis then AAA is the 'honest' company according to our guide last month.

If you want to take public transit, you must purchase your tickets before boarding the tram / bus / subway and get the ticket validated upon boarding. Tickets are available from machines at larger transport hubs or in local tabac shops (variety store).

Have you ever been on a segway? I can recommend Pragueonsegwaydotcom. you will cover a lot of ground and see quite a bit. Their 8am morning tour was just the right length of time and it was before the real crush of tourists takes over. And they want payment in euros or Czk only after you finish your tour.

On our first flight to Prague, I was lucky to sit next to a young man from there so he filled me in on things to see and do and restaurants the locals go to. As soon as we landed I got a map from the tourist information right there at the airport and had that person mark on the map all the places the fellow from the plane listed for me.

Have a great time.

RB

Segways....http://www.expats.cz/prague/article/weekly-czech-news/prague-councillors-approve-segway-ban/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=facebook-post&utm_campaign=facebook-post&utm_content=prague-councillors-approve-segway-ban

Spring for a guidebook. We like Rick Steves. Prague has good public transit, just make sure you double check your route with the hotel concierge.

I can't recommend Sandemans . . . the tour we took in another city was full of misinformation. You might get a good guide, but . . . sometimes you just get what you pay for.

I've read good things about the Sandeman's guides in Prague. I do tend to do my own research so we'll see how it goes with the info they put out. We'll know soon enough.

Segways....http://www.expats.cz/prague/article/weekly-czech-news/prague-councillors-approve-segway-ban/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=facebook-post&utm_campaign=facebook-post&utm_content=prague-councillors-approve-segway-ban

Interesting article. Ah, so be it, if the authorities cannot control how and where they operate. There were a lot of other Segway companies that trolled the old town square and appeared to be somewhat reckless . The company we did go with only worked with pre booked reservations and did not go over Charles bridge or through the main square. Very professional.

It was just a suggestion for an activity a bit different than following along with a guide book. A good personal guide will cater their tour for you and answer your questions.

Bottom line, a lot to see and do in Prague.

RB

We went with Naked Tours. They limit their number of people to I believe eight, (we had six in our group). They are affordable, offer 4 or 5 different tours and we found them very good. You need to prebook. Check them out on Trip Advisor.

We did two tours with the Naked Tour Guide. Great tours. At the end of the tour you have the opportunity to sit down with the guide, ask more questions and get suggestions for other things to do. See reviews and a link on Trip Advisor.

We ended up going up to the TV tower with the crawling baby sculptures on it. There is a Jewish cemetery right next to the TV tower. Then we went onto Olsany Cemetery which also has a Jewish section. Incredible funeralry monuments.

Also went about 40km outside Prague to Archduke Franz Ferdinand's hunting lodge, Konopiste. You won't have time to do this with just two days but it is very interesting.

Thank you all so much with the information on Prague. I think we will probably pick up guide book and use public transportation to see the city.

It is a very walkable city, but make sure you are wearing study shoes.....cobblestones and sandals together was not the smartest thing I did one day. I was however wearing good walking shoes and compression socks the day we put 16km on the pedometer.

have a great time! And post a review after so all of us can relive our vacations through you!

RB

It is a very walkable city, but make sure you are wearing study shoes.....cobblestones and sandals together was not the smartest thing I did one day. I was however wearing good walking shoes and compression socks the day we put 16km on the pedometer.

have a great time! And post a review after so all of us can relive our vacations through you!

RB

Study shoes is a good recommendation. I wore walking sandals with relatively thick soles when we took the funicular up Petrin Hill. After dinner at a restaurant up there, we walked back down through the park. Ended up with a blister even though I'd worn the shoes many times.

Thank you all so much with the information on Prague. I think we will probably pick up guide book and use public transportation to see the city.

Not a problem. We were just trying to help you out. Some ports we like guided tours so that we fully gain the related knowledge and other ports we wonder around on our own. Enjoy your cruise & we hope the weather will be great for all of us.

We were on this same cruise in May of this year. Scenic put us up at the Marriot which was quite central and convenient to a variety of transit options. On arrival night their guide took us on a quick 30 minute tour of area to let us know options such as restaurants, pharmacy, ATMs etc. The next morning we met for a half day walking tour. We were bused to Prague Castle, and walked with a guide though the complex and then down the hill, across the Charles Bridge and through the Old Town. I only say this so that you don't duplicate any tour you may arrange ahead of time. The balance of the afternoon, the following day and most of the morning on the third day was on our own. The Scenic guides manned a desk at the hotel for about 2 hours each afternoon and were most helpful with any tourist information that we needed. Prague is a lovely city and in many ways the highlight of our trip but it is super crowded. Get out early if you can. You will have a great time.

We were on this same cruise in May of this year. Scenic put us up at the Marriot which was quite central and convenient to a variety of transit options. On arrival night their guide took us on a quick 30 minute tour of area to let us know options such as restaurants, pharmacy, ATMs etc. The next morning we met for a half day walking tour. We were bused to Prague Castle, and walked with a guide though the complex and then down the hill, across the Charles Bridge and through the Old Town. I only say this so that you don't duplicate any tour you may arrange ahead of time. The balance of the afternoon, the following day and most of the morning on the third day was on our own. The Scenic guides manned a desk at the hotel for about 2 hours each afternoon and were most helpful with any tourist information that we needed. Prague is a lovely city and in many ways the highlight of our trip but it is super crowded. Get out early if you can. You will have a great time.

Thanks for the post you have answered some of my questions as we are on the same route in October. My question is on the 3rd day what time did you leave Prague and arrive in Nuremberg?? Did you stop along the way??

I am trying to find out the timing that Scenic gets there passengers transferred to the ship in Nuremberg from Prague. As we are to do our touring on Tuesday in Nuremberg which is closed on Tuesday. Will try to get to the courthouse before it closes on Monday the day of our transfer. We have to be in the courthouse by 5 pm and exit by 6 pm. Anyone out there that is able to answer I would appreciate it.

Interesting article. Ah, so be it, if the authorities cannot control how and where they operate. There were a lot of other Segway companies that trolled the old town square and appeared to be somewhat reckless . The company we did go with only worked with pre booked reservations and did not go over Charles bridge or through the main square. Very professional.

It was just a suggestion for an activity a bit different than following along with a guide book. A good personal guide will cater their tour for you and answer your questions.

Bottom line, a lot to see and do in Prague.

RB

It's a hot topic with the locals in Prague. It's a hot topic here on Oahu as well. There seem to be lots of those. Too each his own. I don't get the big deal as long as everyone is being responsible.

I am trying to find out the timing that Scenic gets there passengers transferred to the ship in Nuremberg from Prague. As we are to do our touring on Tuesday in Nuremberg which is closed on Tuesday. Will try to get to the courthouse before it closes on Monday the day of our transfer. We have to be in the courthouse by 5 pm and exit by 6 pm. Anyone out there that is able to answer I would appreciate it.
It's my understanding that the docks are outside Nuremberg. You'll need to arrange transportation from the dock to the courthouse and back.

Have you called Scenic with this question.