Scenic Amsterdam canal tour

budisal

Has anyone been on this tour with Scenic? Do they stop at any of the museums along the way? Especially Rembrandt or van Gough? Any other information would be appreciated. We leave on the Amber, September 5th, Budapest to Amsterdam and I'd like to do a little Amsterdam planning. Thank you.

I can't answer your exact question, but wanted to make another suggestion. Are you staying in Amsterdam post cruise? If so, canal cruises are easy to do on your own and quite inexpensive. There are several companies that offer them from the boat dock Which is right front of the train station, most are continuous loops without stops, but one company offers a "hop on hop off" canal boat, which would probably serve you well if you are looking for transportation to museums. I know it stops at the Anne Frank House, I'm sure if you googled it you can find out how close they stop to the Van Gogh and Rijksmuseum.

Our Scenic cruise offered as tours either the canal cruise or a lovely trip to Edam and Volendam, two very pretty little towns not far from Amsterdam. We had a guided walking tour of the towns, time on our own in lovely Volendam and a tour of a cheese factory. We had already done a canal cruise on a prior visit to Amsterdam so both us and our traveling companions did the Edam and Volendam tour, then as they were staying on in Amsterdam they did the canal cruise on their own.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

We're on an Scenic cruise next May. The canal cruise says its a glass enclosed boat. Doubt that the cruise stops anywhere unless the description specifically says that it does.

There are a lot of canal cruises and at least one leaves from near the central rail station. Many of the cruise ships dock nearby. The cruises run at all hours of the day and into the evening so you shouldn't have much trouble finding one on your own.

What are your other tour options? I prefer to take the included tours that are a little more difficult to do on your own.

Thanks to both of you for your comments. We're in Amsterdam for two days (plus the day 14 canal tour from Scenic) so we have time to do the canal trip on our own. Think I'll change my mind on the Scenic tour and take the alternative tour they offer. Then we'll maybe do a hop on, hop off that passes by the museums so we can view the art. Or we might just arrange the museums separately. Thanks again for your suggestions.

If you want to spend time in the museums, the HOHO boat may not be the best option. To maximize your museum time, consider taking public transportation directly to the museum area.

Also look at reviews for the HOHO boat on Trip Advisor.

A friend of ours dropped off an Amsterdam tourist book tonight. After doing some reading, I think you're right. We're better off going to the two museums we want to see directly. It will give us more time at each one as well. Thanks for your input.

We were in Amsterdam with Scenic a few years ago and did the canal tour, no stopping, we did a walking tour of the city first but I agree with others if your in the city for a few days go for the other excursion and do a canal cruise on your own. If you want to go to the Ann Frank house book your tickets in advance. The Riks museum is fantastic and take a walk through the diamond district oh and our cruise director took a group out in the evening for a stroll through the red light district a real eye opener for some. Have a great trip will be ding the same in reverse next year. CA

We're on an Scenic cruise next May. The canal cruise says its a glass enclosed boat. Doubt that the cruise stops anywhere unless the description specifically says that it does.

There are a lot of canal cruises and at least one leaves from near the central rail station. Many of the cruise ships dock nearby. The cruises run at all hours of the day and into the evening so you shouldn't have much trouble finding one on your own.

What are your other tour options? I prefer to take the included tours that are a little more difficult to do on your own.

What Scenic cruise are you on next May/2017?

Marlster

As has been mentioned above, but bears repeating, if you want to visit the main attractions in Amsterdam, including Ann Frank house, Riks and Van Gogh museums, you absolutely should buy tickets ahead of time ( read NOW) online.

This avoids potential LONG waits and gets you front-of-the-line status.

It would be a shame to visit Amsterdam and be shut out from these classic bucket list attractions.

As has been mentioned above, but bears repeating, if you want to visit the main attractions in Amsterdam, including Ann Frank house, Riks and Van Gogh museums, you absolutely should buy tickets ahead of time ( read NOW) online.

This avoids potential LONG waits and gets you front-of-the-line status.

It would be a shame to visit Amsterdam and be shut out from these classic bucket list attractions.

I booked tickets to all three last week. Everybody, please be warned: Tickets are often sold out. As well, in the case of Anne Frankhuis, you have to book a specific day and time for your ticket. I had to try three different days before I was finally able to get a ticket for Anne Frankhuis. Riks was not a problem. Van Gogh was another one you had to book a date and time for, but no problem in getting tickets for that one. Really looking forward to this trip. Leaving Toronto tomorrow and 7 PM. And, so, the adventure begins!

There are a lot of comments on Trip Advisor about how to get tickets for the Anne Frank House. Apparently, not all tickets for a day are released at the same time and appear in the online booking system randomly. So, if you have only one date that you can visit, it can be worthwhile to keep trying as more tickets are released.

Also, carefully read the official website for information. If you really, want to visit, you also have the option to stand in line in the late afternoon and evening to try and get in that day. The timed, booked tickets are for the morning and early afternoon.

I was hoping someone might have more information, as we have done both the canal tour and visit to Edam before.

I can recommend the walking tour with Amsterdam Classic Tours, which was a tip based walk, but is now 12.5 Euros.

John

Edited by Bodger

Visiting the Ann Frank house. We went a couple years ago and I reserved our tickets a couple months before and got a time late enough that I was sure we would be able to make it. We got there a couple hours earlier and were able to get right in. So I would not wait around for your time to get near when you are heading to the Ann Frank house, there is a good chance they will let you in early.

Visiting the Ann Frank house. We went a couple years ago and I reserved our tickets a couple months before and got a time late enough that I was sure we would be able to make it. We got there a couple hours earlier and were able to get right in. So I would not wait around for your time to get near when you are heading to the Ann Frank house, there is a good chance they will let you in early.
Recent comments on Trip Advisor indicate that the online ticketing system has recently been changed.

Always a good idea to read the actual website for the most up to date information.