Carnival Dream or Carnival Freedom?

bdkb

never cruised Carnival before, looking at Dream or Freedom in April 2011. Any suggestions for those who have been on either? Both are Eastern Carribbean, Dream is 7 nights 3 ports/3 sea days and Freedom is 8 nights 4 ports/3 sea days. I can get an ocean view on either for pretty much the same price. We are a family with 2 boys age 14 and 10, so need lots of activity on ship. The family rooms on Dream look nice with bigger bathroom but don't want to base my decision on that. Any advice? Thanks!

You often can get better deals out of Miami, because people driving in, from other states, dont want to drive in that far, and parking is so expensive.

Im betting Freedom is the better deal? You dont say.

Dream is a overblown Freedom class and there have been complaints about overcrowded, some of which have been addressed. Dream is only a tad newer.

My son was14 when we sailed the dream. We had a great time. He recommends their circle c program. We are sailing the freedom in march. We like sea days because he enjoys the club activities.

The eastern dream goes to Nassau which is a waste because the ship sails at 2 so hard to do much. We enjoyed st maarten and st Thomas. He slept most of our time at the nude/orient beach in st Maarten. It isn't like they are attractive nudes :p The beach, Maho, where the planes fly over you is cool.

We are looking forward to the Freedom. I have seen lots of nice review. Some commented about cheaper to fly to Miami than orlando... Not for me. Plus you have figure out how to get to hotel if you fly into Miami.

If the cost for cruise is about same then 8 days is better than 7!!!

Sailed the Freedom 8 day with two teenagers and they had an awesome time. We did the route to Mexico, Costa Rica and Panama. Ship was great it was sold out over Thanksgiving but you would not have known it. Would do the same ship and route again in a heart beat. Will be on the Dream in March. (I am afraid it will be to big for me). Have a great time.

I was on both in the past, and going on Freedom again in March). I greatly enjoyed both of them. If you said that both ships are similar in price, I'd say go for the longer cruise. Plus, I think it'll be a better first Carnival cruise experience for you, since it's not as big as the Dream...But whatever you decided, I don't think you'll be disappointed with either. :)

never cruised Carnival before, looking at Dream or Freedom in April 2011. Any suggestions for those who have been on either? Both are Eastern Carribbean, Dream is 7 nights 3 ports/3 sea days and Freedom is 8 nights 4 ports/3 sea days. I can get an ocean view on either for pretty much the same price. We are a family with 2 boys age 14 and 10, so need lots of activity on ship. The family rooms on Dream look nice with bigger bathroom but don't want to base my decision on that. Any advice? Thanks!

They are both pretty new ships so I wouldn't hesitate about either. If you're at all interested in Spa facilities go with Dream for absolute certain. I haven't sailed on her myself, but her Spa setup is apparently similar to that on Splendor which is incredible in this regard.

Dream is a significantly larger ship which would probably sway my decision in her favour if I liked both itineraries the same. I don't really hold with this "Smaller ships are better" point of view as I really like a big ship to explore. Maybe this is because I tend to avoid the Lido and Pool areas at all times, but I've never noticed huge crowds on the larger ships (Splendor as compared to Spirit for example).

Thanks for all of the advice! I booked the Freedom this morning. Both ships look awesome but I'm afraid being Easter week the Dream will be too crowded and the lines long. Plus like most of you said 8 nights of vacation is better than 7!

• 6 years later...

Having now cruised on both ships, if given the choice, I would suggest the Freedom. The ships are mostly the same, however, the main difference is that the WaterWorks on the Dream take up a lot of room and aren't that great. The Freedom had a lot more seats available around the pool which made for more pleasant lounging days.

Having now cruised on both ships, if given the choice, I would suggest the Freedom. The ships are mostly the same, however, the main difference is that the WaterWorks on the Dream take up a lot of room and aren't that great. The Freedom had a lot more seats available around the pool which made for more pleasant lounging days.

you replied to a thread from 2011. I bet they cruised already.

You know you just brought back a 7-year old thread?

Freedom is much better than the Dream for me as a conquest class versus Dream class. The Dream class ships are overloaded with passengers and designed poorly. Many of the passenger areas such as the piano bar and lounges are also walkways for the other passengers. The capacity of the boat compared to square footage of public space means you wait for everything on the Dream. Wait for food, wait for elevators, wait to get off and get on the boat.

When I got back to my car at the end of the week, I was surprised to just be able to get in it. Nothing else had been without a wait for the last week.

LOL, seven year old thread. Find the OP, tell us which you took.

Freedom is much better than the Dream for me as a conquest class versus Dream class. The Dream class ships are overloaded with passengers and designed poorly. Many of the passenger areas such as the piano bar and lounges are also walkways for the other passengers. The capacity of the boat compared to square footage of public space means you wait for everything on the Dream. Wait for food, wait for elevators, wait to get off and get on the boat.

When I got back to my car at the end of the week, I was surprised to just be able to get in it. Nothing else had been without a wait for the last week.

LOL, seven year old thread. Find the OP, tell us which you took.

Freedom. Check out post #10

I know this was an old thread but when I was looking into the difference between the two, I visited this thread and am sure others do, therefore wanted to provide my perspective.

Maybe start a new thread. People don't want to start reading and then realize they wasted their time responding to a person who took the cruise 7 years ago.

I know this was an old thread but when I was looking into the difference between the two, I visited this thread and am sure others do, therefore wanted to provide my perspective.

Been on both twice, and would pick the Dream because it's a bigger class ship and feels less crowded for us. Good, engaging cruise director and good crew. We prefer the Alchemy on the Freedom because it's located aft away from the loud music of the Ocean Plaza, but at the end of the day, we would pick the Dream.

• 2 weeks later...