How fast do P&O cruises sell out?

hamble90

Hi all, I'm new here and haven't been on a cruise before. I want to try one next year and was wondering if anyone knows when P&O cruises tend to sell out. I am looking at June 2016 in the Norwegian Fjords. Should I book now and get the Early Saver fare or wait longer?

Thanks. :)

Hi all, I'm new here and haven't been on a cruise before. I want to try one next year and was wondering if anyone knows when P&O cruises tend to sell out. I am looking at June 2016 in the Norwegian Fjords. Should I book now and get the Early Saver fare or wait longer?

You will find the cheapest and most expensive cabins will go quickly. By .that I mean the inside cabins and suites.

The rest such as balconies and obstruct.ed sea views etc will take longer to sell. So it depends what cabin type your going for.

You will find the cheapest and most expensive cabins will go quickly. By .that I mean the inside cabins and suites.

The rest such as balconies and obstruct.ed sea views etc will take longer to sell. So it depends what cabin type your going for.

Thanks, do you think I could wait until around Christmas time because I want a chance to look at other options as well? I was looking at inside cabins.

Edited by hamble90

We booked our fjords cruise in January and we went in June....if we'd waited until February to book P and O were offering double onboard credit so I'd chance it and wait until.January/February to see if there are any good deals :-)

We booked our fjords cruise in January and we went in June....if we'd waited until February to book P and O were offering double onboard credit so I'd chance it and wait until.January/February to see if there are any good deals :-)

I'll second that! We booked our upcoming cruise in January. 2 weeks later P and O's promotion deal was double the OBC we received in January. I have my eyes on a cruise for this time next year. I will not be in so much of a hurry to book in January, I will check prices every few days in January and February and wait until a price suits me.

Good luck....you are about to enter into cruise nightmare land!! :)

I'll second that! We booked our upcoming cruise in January. 2 weeks later P and O's promotion deal was double the OBC we received in January. I have my eyes on a cruise for this time next year. I will not be in so much of a hurry to book in January, I will check prices every few days in January and February and wait until a price suits me.

Good luck....you are about to enter into cruise nightmare land!! :)

Thanks both, the cruise i'm looking at has an 'Early Saver' promotion on it which doesn't have the onboard credit but is £150 cheaper than the 'Select Fare'. So if I waited until January wouldn't I have to pay the higher 'Select Fare' price?

When you book with Early Saver, you do not get a choice of cabins, second choice of table & sitting and have to pay on shuttle buses in ports. Personally I always book a balcony, could not face an inside cabin, but they can be considerably cheaper. At least with Select you choose cabin & deck. As there are much fewer inside cabins, they do tend to sell more quickly.

Thanks both, the cruise i'm looking at has an 'Early Saver' promotion on it which doesn't have the onboard credit but is £150 cheaper than the 'Select Fare'. So if I waited until January wouldn't I have to pay the higher 'Select Fare' price?

Now that is the thing. if you take into account a select fare plus obc, that can in the long run possibly work out cheaper that early saver with no obs. I personally would never do an early saver price-you are between a rock and a hard place..no really choices and paying more than a late saver fare.

Personally I would just keep on checking prices , and see what deals are coming along. Also maybe have 1 or 2 cruises in your pocket so if one is selling well in your grade you have another one to keep your eye on.

As someone posted earlier -it can be a bit of a nightmare.

Having just come back from the Norwegian Fjord cruise (on Azura) I'd really urge you to go a bit extra and get a balcony. The balcony for this particular cruise just makes the holiday, you wake up to breath-taking mountains and waterfalls slowly passing by just a hundred or so yards away, same again each evening as you set sail. Apart from the 2 days at sea there is very little time when you are looking out onto nothing but water.

We justified the cost of the balcony by not booking any excursions, would do exactly the same again.

I do wonder how many people who choose an inside cabin would feel the same in a hotel with no windows in their room. If you pay all that money on a cruise, then not having a balcony makes no sense to me. We use our cabin a lot, what could be nicer than your own private balcony watching the world go by.

I do wonder how many people who choose an inside cabin would feel the same in a hotel with no windows in their room. If you pay all that money on a cruise, then not having a balcony makes no sense to me. We use our cabin a lot, what could be nicer than your own private balcony watching the world go by.

I stay in Premier Inns quite often. I hardly ever more than glance out of the window when drawing or opening the curtains. ;)

Balconies can be good if the cruise is scenic and the scenery is your side of the ship!. Don't count on a balcony for sunshine. At least half of them are on the shady side of the ship and a captain once told us that he could set a course that would keep almost all of them in the shade. Kindly donations accepted of course :eek::D

After some 20 cruises mostly in balcony cabin, we now only book insides after the last few times on a balcony we monitored how much we use it and it was very little, some days not even opening the balcony door.

The inside for us offers a better sleeping environment they are darker, quieter and of course cheaper:)

We booked the Arcadia Iceland and Baltics for next August and had the choice of any cabin, we choose a large inside.

Each to his own I guess.

Just to contradict my opinion, if your going to the fjords or alike then yes book a balcony the views are stunning.

Getting back on to the original topic, they don't sell out till a few weeks before sail date on the bigger ships and cheap deals can be had.

Check on the P&O site for what's available now and monitor a few cruises to give you some idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Jason12

I guess after 20 cruises you have seen everywhere, so an inside may not matter. As far as sleeping goes, we often leave the balcony door slightly open, the sound of the sea makes us sleep and we like the fresh air, but as you say each to their own.

No one has mentioned the middle option, which is what we always go for, and that is an outside cabin. Cheaper than a balcony, views through the window as soon as you wake up and some outsides are quite large as they use the space in the cabin that would normally be taken up by the balcony (hope that makes sense!)

For a Fjords cruise I certainly wouldn't recommend an inside cabin, the scenery is too breathtaking to miss!

Our last cruise we booked 6 weeks before departure and got an extremely good price in an inside cabin. As we were going to Iceland we didn't mind at all as it was 24 hours daylight. We normally have an outside cabin, but really only use the cabin for sleeping.

I would never book any holiday months in advance as there are always good deals to be had if you look around.

Our last cruise we booked 6 weeks before departure and got an extremely good price in an inside cabin. As we were going to Iceland we didn't mind at all as it was 24 hours daylight. We normally have an outside cabin, but really only use the cabin for sleeping.

I would never book any holiday months in advance as there are always good deals to be had if you look around.

We need an accessible cabin so have no choice, book early or stay at home.

We miss most deals, in fact we booked or 2016 Iceland cruise in May and now they are offering £150pp extra OBC :( I'd expect offers in the new year but a few months after release...!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi, I think you've asked the million dollar question ;) firstly I would echo that on this cruise if you can afford it try to get a balcony, the views are spectacular, I missed out doing this twice in an inside, but it's down to individual choice. If price is a big factor and you don't mind what cabin you get and can take the small risk it will sell out I would be inclined to hold off and book in the 12 weeks prior to departure on a late saver. I agree with one of the other posts that early saver just seems to be a bad deal. If this is something you want very much I'd book a select and stop looking at the price. Good luck [emoji256]