Buffet Etiquette

Mark-Sheffield

Been on 3 cruises and we as a family really try to avoid the buffet. When we have been in there we have ended up getting in the wrong queue or the wrong way and seem to be constanly apologising for our lack of knowledge with the appropriate etiquette.

But the most annoying thing is when we taken taken more than 2 seconds to decided on what food we are having and you can hear people tutting as well as the next person pushing their elbows into you !!!

Buffets annoy me so much yet I still end up going there!!!!!:eek: :confused:

This year we are going to make more use of the MDR for breakfast etc, just to relieve my stress levels!

We have problems finding seating. I have two young children, one is disabled so have no option but to find a table first, then I have to go up and get mine and one child's plate or both of the children's, then repeat to get mine, then hubby can get his.

Been on 3 cruises and we as a family really try to avoid the buffet. When we have been in there we have ended up getting in the wrong queue or the wrong way and seem to be constanly apologising for our lack of knowledge with the appropriate etiquette.

But the most annoying thing is when we taken taken more than 2 seconds to decided on what food we are having and you can hear people tutting as well as the next person pushing their elbows into you !!!

I have to agree. Its the way people are nowadays. The Britannia does seem to have got round the problems in the buffet. It is so well laid out. You still get those who elbow in but they are far fewer.

I don't think the words Buffet and Etiquette go together ! :-)

The one that gets me are the couples to sit diagonally across from each other at a table intended for 4 in a very good effort to put off anyone having the cheek to ask to use the spare seats. The buffet at breakfast is certainly not a place for the feint hearted. I actually was talking to someone who told me that this is what her and her husband do all the time (as if it was good) - I didn't really know what to say! All these tactics on what is supposed to be a relaxing holiday ..... too much planning for me,

Why not take a moment to see what is on offer before picking up a tray.

You can then know what you want, and can just go and get those items.

I have to agree. Its the way people are nowadays. The Britannia does seem to have got round the problems in the buffet. It is so well laid out. You still get those who elbow in but they are far fewer.

I agree. Probably the best laid out buffet we have encountered and with lots of seating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The thing that has always surprised me about buffets is that some people think you should have to queue at the first counter and wait until everybody has taken their selected food then follow the crowd to the next counter and so on whereas you know you do not want any food from those areas but if you go straight to the fifth counter they perceive you are somehow pushing in.

Regards John

The thing that has always surprised me about buffets is that some people think you should have to queue at the first counter and wait until everybody has taken their selected food then follow the crowd to the next counter and so on whereas you know you do not want any food from those areas but if you go straight to the fifth counter they perceive you are somehow pushing in.

Regards John

Yes !!!! We have done that and the looks you get, wow

The one that gets me are the couples to sit diagonally across from each other at a table intended for 4 in a very good effort to put off anyone having the cheek to ask to use the spare seats. The buffet at breakfast is certainly not a place for the feint hearted. I actually was talking to someone who told me that this is what her and her husband do all the time (as if it was good) - I didn't really know what to say! All these tactics on what is supposed to be a relaxing holiday ..... too much planning for me,

Most annoying. If we see people wandering around with trays we always make a point of saying"there's seats here" in case they don't like to ask.

This is a bit like the people on trains who sit on the outside seat even though the train is crowded hoping no one will ask to squeeze past them. Or those that spread their laptop out on the seat next to them.

Why not take a moment to see what is on offer before picking up a tray.

You can then know what you want, and can just go and get those items.

nothing more irritating than someone dawdling over food choice. On one occassion a man was selecting INDIVIDUAL chips :eek:

Best idea IMO is the one used in a local department store cafe. You arrrive and are shown to a free table. You do not have a choice. Then you join the queue for food. this eliminated the annoying habit of getting your food and finding all the tables are 'reserved'

On aurora this moth the buffet worked well, lots of tables for 2 and if you were willing to drag your carcase a few yards more you would find empty tables or even go onto the terrace :eek:

Regards John

Going past people to another counter isn't jumping the queue but elbowing in whilst people are working their way down a counter is. That is a big problem on Azura and Ventura with people pushing in in front of you. It is really annoying, selfish and bad manners.

The one that gets me are the couples to sit diagonally across from each other at a table intended for 4 in a very good effort to put off anyone having the cheek to ask to use the spare seats.

This is mt biggest bug bear. Diagonal diners as well call them too.

We have been tempted to join them and upset ther selfishness. :D

The problem with the buffet is that couples cannot eat together. You have to find a seat first and then take it in turns to get food. Otherwise you will end up with food but nowhere to sit. Very unsatisfactory but there is no point getting worked up about it.

Most annoying. If we see people wandering around with trays we always make a point of saying"there's seats here" in case they don't like to ask.

This is a bit like the people on trains who sit on the outside seat even though the train is crowded hoping no one will ask to squeeze past them. Or those that spread their laptop out on the seat next to them.

They will probably finish their brekkie and wander back to their "reserved" sunbeds .... generalisation I know but wouldn't bet against it.

The problem with the buffet is that couples cannot eat together. You have to find a seat first and then take it in turns to get food. Otherwise you will end up with food but nowhere to sit. Very unsatisfactory but there is no point getting worked up about it.

If we chose to have a buffet lunch or afternoon tea, we decide which side and area we are going to sit and then both get our food. Normally one finds a seat an the others not far behind. We don't mind sharing. Never tried breakfast.

I do hope we are going to enjoy our first P and O cruise - trasatlantic to Caribbean 23rd Oct - 7th November. Only done 3 short Cunard cruises so far - never any problems with buffets or sunbeds there! We ate in the silver service dining room most of the time, including breakfast. Lifts were fine too and getting seats in the theatre! I don't think they take as many passengers relative to the size of the ship and facilities on board.

I find that a bit of practice at a couple of Jumble sales before you go helps !!

I saw a couple doing this in the atrium on Britannia. they had managed to arrange themselves so they dominated a 10 seat arrangement. :mad:

Absolutely anti social :mad: Why should you consider leaving a pair of sunglasses and a sunhat reserves your table?

It's fairly normal in restaurants, even buffet restaurants, that you have the same table from first sitting down to the end of the meal. What's antisocial about sitting down first before you get your dinner? Is it still antisocial to leave stuff at your table between main course and pudding, or should you move on to another table?

On Fred Olsen, you are shown to a table by a crew member. (Which remains yours for the duration of the meal.)

It's fairly normal in restaurants, even buffet restaurants, that you have the same table from first sitting down to the end of the meal. What's antisocial about sitting down first before you get your dinner? Is it still antisocial to leave stuff at your table between main course and pudding, or should you move on to another table.

Absolutely - there is nothing wrong with that at all.

There are a lot more genuine anti social issues than leaving a pair of sunglasses on a table.

It is not at all antisocial to find seats in the buffet prior to getting your food,

if you do not do it this way you end up wondering around looking for a seat while your food gets cold,

It is very antisocial to try and force your own rules on others !!!