Getting to Bruges

davecttr

There is a free shuttle from the dock to Blankenberg where you can get a train to Bruges. The trains run once per hour. Alternatively you could take the ships excursion - Bruges on your own.

Brian

Get a taxi from the port - they wait just outside the ships. Quick, easy and they'll drop you right in the city centre. Just make sure you book the return journey with the driver before you get out as getting a taxi back isn't quite so easy!

Weve taken the free shuttle to Blankenberge station then the train. Brugges is lovely and easily walkable. I dont know if its still free for non select fare passengers however the port looked self contained and I couldnt see a pedestrian exit so perhaps the shuttle is provided free anyway. The train station in Brugges is around a 15 minute walk to the centre of town.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Get a taxi from the port - they wait just outside the ships. Quick, easy and they'll drop you right in the city centre. Just make sure you book the return journey with the driver before you get out as getting a taxi back isn't quite so easy!

Agree taxi is much the easiest way but not the cheapest - I was told it is about 50 Euro each way. We have always used the shuttle/train option.

We recently visited Bruges with Princess and there was a free shuttle bus to the port gates and we then had a pre booked taxi mini bus for 8 waiting to take us and return to Bruges. Total cost was 50 euros each way so return was 12-5 euros per person and was excellent service.

Hello :) I have been on coach trips to Bruges, they were fine but expensive. I have also got the train, I looked up the times on this website and took a screenshot to use when I was there: http://www.thetrainline-europe.com

I can confirm it was really easy and the train journey was quite pleasant, I was a bit disorientated at the station in Bruges but just followed the crowd. On another occasion I also just stayed in Blankenburg, you are quite right it is a nice town with a walkable seafront and beach. I hope this helps.

The weather and how i feel on the day will decide whether I take the train to Bruges or stay in Blankenberg. It looks quite a complicated walk from Bruges station to the centre. Thanks for the link Florry, I will check out the sunday train times.

Edited by davecttr

Florry's timetable says 42 mins past the hour to Bruges and 5 past the hour back, both with a 13 minute journey time.

Do they speak French or Flemish in Blankenberge

ps - how do you pronounce these names, is it a soft or hard 'g' ?

• 2 weeks later...

Dave, it's a really easy walk into Brugge, you don't even need a map, just follow the crowd (that's what we did). Have done Brugge 5 times with P & O twice by taxi (v easy but a €50 trip per taxi each way - so roll call and share) 2 times on the P & O trip, and once in the train. I will now always do out by train, easy cheap and the same distance walk in as the P & O trip.

In the area around Bruges, they speak Flemish, almost all people speak English perfectly well and there are a few people who speak French. In most shops, signs are in English and Flemish. Walking from Bruges station to the city centre is quite simple, follow the crowds of tourists, alternatively just get on any bus that says centrum outside Bruges station.

We did this trip about 10 days ago. We opted to potter around Blankenburg which is a nice little seaside town. Went into the 'Storms' expo at the pier which was really interesting - although I didn't appreciate the practical demonstration of a force 12 on the way back 2 days later! :D

The port provides a shuttle bus to/from the gate only, P+O provides the shuttle into Blankenburg, it stops very near to the train station.

BTW, Flemish/Dutch pronounce the 'g' as a gutteral 'h' which makes Van Gogh 'Van Hochhhh'.

On Royal Caribbean (no free shuttle) we walked to a station about 15 or so minutes from the port. No problem with the train - other than we could not get the ticket machine on the platform to work, but you can buy tickets on the train.

We had no problem finding the centre from the train station - head for the park, go through the park and you are there.

Last time to Zeebrugge we walked from the port, along the beach to Blankenburg. It's about an hour each way, but it was a nice day and an enjoyable walk. Very clean with one tiny exception - something I've not seen since the 1970s - white dog poo.