Britannia - Fire on board?

davenew

I have read on the Britannia facebook page that there is a fire onboard the current cruise.

Anybody got any accurate information.

I read this a few days ago. It did state all was ok and it would be continuing without any delay.:eek:

Allow me to shed some light on this. Around 2300 UK time (I was in bed) there was a loud long single blast on the ships alarm followed by CREW Alert, engine control room. Shortly Capitain made a broadcast and mentioned the words Hi-Fog, fire suppression and In Operation. He continued to make further announcements and at one point said "I can't see any flames" so now everyone knows they think it's a fire. He then said he'd make a broadcast in the morning about the events, and in the announcement 1000 ships time said there was no fire, just smoke.

All the overnight announcements including the alarm were heard in cabins which I understand was a mistake.

Allow me to shed some light on this. Around 2300 UK time (I was in bed) there was a loud long single blast on the ships alarm followed by CREW Alert, engine control room. Shortly Capitain made a broadcast and mentioned the words Hi-Fog, fire suppression and In Operation. He continued to make further announcements and at one point said "I can't see any flames" so now everyone knows they think it's a fire. He then said he'd make a broadcast in the morning about the events, and in the announcement 1000 ships time said there was no fire, just smoke.

All the overnight announcements including the alarm were heard in cabins which I understand was a mistake.

Thanks,

High fog is the misting system for the auto sprinkler system. Sounds like it was activated by heat etc.

I'm on this cruise. The way I understand it... Because the sprinkler system came on. It meant the CCTV in the engine room could only see the water spray. So a B A team was sent in to investigate. The captain sounded and remained calm all the way through. And we never stopped moving. That assured me that things weren't that bad. Alot of passengers did worry and am sorry about that.

On our recent cruise on Ventura in June, the evening show was interrupted one night by the Captain announcing, over the PA system, that the assessment party was required to attend Deck 9, aft, where there was a suspected fire. He stressed that passengers need take no action at present but that didn't stop dozens of stupid sheeple from making their way out of the theatre. What they thought they were going to achieve, I will never know. We stayed put and, sure enough the Captain came back onto the PA system after about ten minutes to reassure us that it was a false alarm and that all was well. The show resumed and life went on.

Interestingly, the reef has a new policy where all age groups are mustered into one room if a crew alert is called. Parents have to collect from there if the crew alert is called (which I think is why that is broadcast in cabins) If muster is then called & you haven't collected them they are brought to your muster station. Needless to say I collected mine when the alert was called & it was disconcerting to see the corridors lined with crew in life jackets, especially as there was a partial power outage during dinner so there clearly was a problem, but slept well after the stand down was called.

A bit of drama at the start of what is so far a fabulous cruise.

Hi, just got back from this cruise and did the Behind the Scenes Tour yesterday. We got it first hand from the chief Engineer and Captain re what happened that evening. I'm not very technical, but it seems that the Environmental people were burning waste and somehow this smoke was sucked / channelled into the engine room. This smoke was seen by one of the team on duty on the CCTV camera and he immediately sounded the alarm in line with procedure.

The Captain told us that procedures were then followed to the letter immediately (as in many drills) and 'fog' / mist was applied to the area. Staff did go in to check as well. He was called immediately and the Senior Officers went to their appropriate 'incident' room / took up their relevant positions in line with their training.

Even though it became clear that there was no fire The Chief Engineer said that his team were up until about 4am / 5am checking everything and replaying the CCTV cameras until they found out what had caused the problem.

We have to admit, we were in our cabin and it was initially very unnerving, but the Captain kept us all informed about what was going on. Others in the theatres etc and bars said that the staff worked like clockwork / like a well oiled machine when they received the message for them to go to their Muster Stations.

Some people complained that it had frightened them and wondered if the Captain had acted too quickly sending staff to Muster Stations. Personally, we would much prefer that a Captain and crew take immediate action in these circumstances in line with company / international policy than hesitating incase it upset someone ..... and then him falling in to a lifeboat when there was a problem an hour later.

PS We had an fabulous cruise - the ship and crew are first class and we would return in a heart beat

Edited by Presto2

Yes I would rather they invoked procedures; better safe than sorry. They had a full crew drill for a fire onboard last March when I was on Oceana and had decided to stay aboard. it was really interesting listening to what happened and increased my confidence in the Captain and crew.

They made no announcements on the Titanic as they knew there weren't enough lifeboats and didn't want to cause a passenger panic...

They made no announcements on the Titanic as they knew there weren't enough lifeboats and didn't want to cause a passenger panic...

We visited the Titanic Museum on the Friday before our cruise.... our fault for jinxing it all eh !!

That exhibition really brings home to you the need for proper procedures and stops you 'moaning' if you are 'inconvenienced' on your holiday by a crew just doing their job ------- i.e. to keep you safe.

Edited by Presto2

Hi, just got back from this cruise and did the Behind the Scenes Tour yesterday. We got it first hand from the chief Engineer and Captain re what happened that evening. I'm not very technical, but it seems that the Environmental people were burning waste and somehow this smoke was sucked / channelled into the engine room. This smoke was seen by one of the team on duty on the CCTV camera and he immediately sounded the alarm in line with procedure.

The Captain told us that procedures were then followed to the letter immediately (as in many drills) and 'fog' / mist was applied to the area. Staff did go in to check as well. He was called immediately and the Senior Officers went to their appropriate 'incident' room / took up their relevant positions in line with their training.

Even though it became clear that there was no fire The Chief Engineer said that his team were up until about 4am / 5am checking everything and replaying the CCTV cameras until they found out what had caused the problem.

We have to admit, we were in our cabin and it was initially very unnerving, but the Captain kept us all informed about what was going on. Others in the theatres etc and bars said that the staff worked like clockwork / like a well oiled machine when they received the message for them to go to their Muster Stations.

Some people complained that it had frightened them and wondered if the Captain had acted too quickly sending staff to Muster Stations. Personally, we would much prefer that a Captain and crew take immediate action in these circumstances in line with company / international policy than hesitating incase it upset someone ..... and then him falling in to a lifeboat when there was a problem an hour later.

PS We had an fabulous cruise - the ship and crew are first class and we would return in a heart beat

Thanks for providing details on this. Glad to hear that everyone followed the procedures and that everyone is OK.

I always find it appalling when people accuse a captain of mustering the passengers too quickly in a situation like this. When everything is up in the air and all you can really see is smoke on a CCTV monitor, it's the best call to make. The engine room is among the worst places for a fire to occur and yet it is one of the most common as well due to its nature. If a fire did break out in this location and go unnoticed for even a couple of minutes this could lead to disaster, and only minutes to evacuate the whole ship. Moving passengers to the right place to do this quickly (and have accounted for everyone) is a prudent move.

Edited by compuryan

Thanks Presto2 for the explanation.

We too were on this cruise and in the Crystal lounge when the crew alert sounded at about 11.30 pm. It all seemed a bit surreal at the time. Even the crew standing in their drill positions looked bemused.

We slept like babies that night and indeed every night but never before 1 am!!!

The ship was excellent and the Strictly Come Dancing theme was the highlight for us.

Thanks for providing details on this. Glad to hear that everyone followed the procedures and that everyone is OK.

I always find it appalling when people accuse a captain of mustering the passengers too quickly in a situation like this. When everything is up in the air and all you can really see is smoke on a CCTV monitor, it's the best call to make. The engine room is among the worst places for a fire to occur and yet it is one of the most common as well due to its nature. If a fire did break out in this location and go unnoticed for even a couple of minutes this could lead to disaster, and only minutes to evacuate the whole ship. Moving passengers to the right place to do this quickly (and have accounted for everyone) is a prudent move.

Hi, just to clarify, passengers weren't sent to muster stations on this occasion. The signal that went out to all cabins etc was the long whistle which we think is for the crew to go to muster stations and was followed by an announcement to this effect by the Captain. One of the crew told us that in 4 and a half years this is the first time he'd known it to happen other than in a drill. Apparently, there is another step before this one that the Captain 'skipped' as he obviously thought the situation warranted it. I think the fact that the call went out to all locations on the ship and passengers saw crew suddenly stop activities, put on life jackets and go to their Muster points frightened the life out of people, but an announcement from the Captain soon kept us up to date. He did say on a number of times that passengers did not have to do anything ---- but not everyone followed the instructions .... just moaned the next day (!)

It was one of those moments that you'd dread happening on a ship and wonder what you'd do 'if'. On this occasion we just stayed in bed and waited for to the Captain's many announcements as he kept us fully informed. Must admit, we were wondering what to put on if we had to go to Muster Stations !

For those who moan about having to go to Muster Drill and try to skip it, I bet they got a shock!!

Anyway, we too slept like a log that night and every other night. :) :D

Edited by Presto2

We too were on this cruise and in the Crystal lounge when the crew alert sounded at about 11.30 pm. It all seemed a bit surreal at the time. Even the crew standing in their drill positions looked bemused.

The ship was excellent and the Strictly Come Dancing theme was the highlight for us.

Welcome back - like you, we had a fabulous time and would go back again without hesitation. :D:) Happy unpacking :)

Welcome back - like you, we had a fabulous time and would go back again without hesitation. :D:) Happy unpacking :)

We too went to the bridge (my kids were passengers of the watch) and i was so impressed by the control room and the technology they have up there that I have no doubt that they did all the right things. The Captain said that the engineer could smell smoke and saw something hanging in the air and with it being the engine room did exactly what he was trained to do, which was shut off the engine, close the water tight doors and activate the mist. Act first, then investigate.

Interestingly, they can evacuate the ship within 30 minutes if needed & if anyone lives near Southampton they will be testing the crew evacuation slide on 12th September. It's apparently like a helter skelter & sounded really cool.

Anyway, beautiful ship. Great cruise. Back to the washing & unpacking....

Anyway, beautiful ship. Great cruise. Back to the washing & unpacking....

Its nice to read that those of us who have just come back have had a great time.... hopefully the reviews for her will start to be more positive!

Your kids sounded great by the way! What an amazing experience for you all !!

Edited by Presto2

• 11 months later...

Interestingly, they can evacuate the ship within 30 minutes if needed

Really!

Even if you are talking about evacuation onto a dockside and not the far more complex evacuation into lifeboats, just think about the logistics of getting everyone off.

Just getting everyone out of the theatre after a show takes 15 minutes or more.

Really!

Even if you are talking about evacuation onto a dockside and not the far more complex evacuation into lifeboats, just think about the logistics of getting everyone off.

Just getting everyone out of the theatre after a show takes 15 minutes or more.

To be honest it is one of those claims that we would not want to have to be put to the test ....

Off again on Oceana next week - am hoping for a quieter first night's sleep :)

This was originally posted over a year ago, so don't know why it has been resurrected now?

That's what made me check, after last year, as I thought it was another episode! To be fair though, someone found it interesting so no worries.

:)