Can you bring a SodaStream onboard?

Barnum42

In lieu of an unlimited soft drinks package, someone suggested we bring a SodaStream machine into our cabin. This led to the question - would that be permitted given is uses a little canister of pressurised air to put the fizz in the drink?

I've tried to find a list of items that if found in your luggage would win you a trip to the P&O Naughty Room, but had no luck. Anybody know where that is - or at least if the sodastream machine is on it?

In lieu of an unlimited soft drinks package, someone suggested we bring a SodaStream machine into our cabin. This led to the question - would that be permitted given is uses a little canister of pressurised air to put the fizz in the drink?

I've tried to find a list of items that if found in your luggage would win you a trip to the P&O Naughty Room, but had no luck. Anybody know where that is - or at least if the sodastream machine is on it?

Seems like you can.

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/before-you-sail/not_allowed

David.

It is not directly on that list, but you might get caught out by that last clause.

"This is not an exhaustive list. The SSO/Staff Captain are authorised to make a professional judgement as to the legality of any item, declared, detected or discovered on board"

I cannot say they will or they won't but that lets them decide if they will allow it on at the time. They may not wish to have a small pressurised gas tank on board.

Why not contact P&Os customer service number and ask them?

I'm sorry but I have to ask...why would you want to take a Sodastream on board?

Because some people take onboard drinks whether alcohol or soft drinks to avoid purchasing on the ship. They say its only for drinking in cabin but do know people who have admitted to filling glass with drink in cabin and then walking around the ship and going in a bar to save buying from P&O and save money. Sorry it might upset others but I dont go on holiday to sit in a cabin drinking would rather go to a bar and purchaee from P&O if I couldnt afford to do that and had to take drinks/sodastream onboard and then stock up at every port then I would rather stay at home.

It could however give P&O a new saying after having "There is a world out there" and now "This is the life" we could have "Travel the world in luxury and spend time in port exploring for supermarkets for cheap drink". :)

Dont even start me on people who fill up bottles, even though there is a sign saying not to do this, with fruit juice in the buffet restaurant at breakfast and risking everybody with their germs just to save buying one from a bar.

Edited by majortom10

I think there's a time for all of us, normally when we get the final bill that we reprimand our other halves for consuming far too much Fanta Orange - 'at least beer's a proper drink'....and think we might have been able to save a few quid...but my memories of Sodastream leave me reaching for the mouthwash!

• Haha 1

You appear to be able take butane gas and petrol lighters on board so I cannot see why a small CO2 cannister would be unacceptable to take on board. I think you should be fine.

Regards John

The volume of gas in a soda stream bottle is significantly larger than a cigarette lighter, I know it's inflammable CO2 as opposed to butane but in far larger an amount. This could be a far greater potential hazard if something went wrong during the cruise. I'll admit the scenario in which something bad happens is a very rare one, but it is up to the Safety Offfcers to decide if it is one that P&Os wishes to assume.

You and I cannot tell Barnum42 definitively one way or another that a Sodastream is acceptable or not it's just a matter of conjecture at this moment in time. The only way to really find out is to ask someone in authority.

The volume of gas in a soda stream bottle is significantly larger than a cigarette lighter, I know it's inflammable CO2 as opposed to butane but in far larger an amount. This could be a far greater potential hazard if something went wrong during the cruise. I'll admit the scenario in which something bad happens is a very rare one, but it is up to the Safety Offfcers to decide if it is one that P&Os wishes to assume.

You and I cannot tell Barnum42 definitively one way or another that a Sodastream is acceptable or not it's just a matter of conjecture at this moment in time. The only way to really find out is to ask someone in authority.

The "official" answer can only be given by the cruise line. However in relation to your comment regarding volumes of CO2/Butate or petrol in a lighter it is interesting to note that the refill bottles for petrol and butane lighters are not listed as not permitted. These would contain much more petrol or butane. If it were me I would turn up with a sodastream and tell them I got it.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Thanks for answering my question, prior to the can of worms being opened!

I was searching for "banned" and found nothing, but I see they list it as "not allowed".

I was more curious about whether the cannister would be banned or not.

I am subsequently curious why there is a bit of negativity over bringing soft drinks on board, when elsewhere there are people who take pride in smuggling as much booze on board as possible to save extortionate bar bills. Because the topic is soft drink, does that make it more of a target for being stingy than booze smuggling?

Neither of drink alcohol. Neither of us will be spending hours in the cabin drinking pop or taking it with us to sit in bars and drink it.

However, we have a teenage sulk machine who has used the unlimited soda package on Royal Caribbean. We told her that it's not available on P&O. She was not that bothered. It was then that the suggestion of the sodastream cropped up and I wondered about the legality of it. Simple as that.

No need for finger pointing, rubbishing and getting on high horses people. But then that's the nature of web boards.

Thanks for those who answered the initial question.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thank you for explaining. You make some valid points about the distinction between booze and pop.

Personally I consider the purchase of onboard drinks as an absolutely essential part of P&O's revenue generation and am happy to support them rather than see prices increase elsewhere, fares for example.

Be careful that teenage sulk machine doesn't demand you pack an ice cream maker though ;)

Edited by Tarquin

You confused me there. I think you meant to say non flammable and not inflammable which we all know is not the case with CO2 which is an inert gas often used as a fire suppressant.

I've found it quite amusing what some people decide to take on holiday with them on a cruise. We've heard about electric irons, steamers, soda streams and even coffee machines. And I thought that I had a problem with the amount of junk that my wife always "needs" to pack for me to lug about. Sounds more like moving house to me than going on holiday.:D

You confused me there. I think you meant to say non flammable and not inflammable which we all know is not the case with CO2 which is an inert gas often used as a fire suppressant.

Yes you are right. Blame it on a brain meltdown, that's why it is used in fire extinguishers particularly for electrical fires.

Be careful that teenage sulk machine doesn't demand you pack an ice cream maker though ;)

Don't give them ideas!

Actually, Royal Caribbean had inclusive ice cream and she was not that bothered about it. Which surprised us as she can usually sniff out a Mr Whippy Van three miles away.

I've found it quite amusing what some people decide to take on holiday with them on a cruise. We've heard about electric irons, steamers, soda streams and even coffee machines. And I thought that I had a problem with the amount of junk that my wife always "needs" to pack for me to lug about. Sounds more like moving house to me than going on holiday.:D

The less I have to lug the better.

But as regards those (not your good self) who point fingers and scoff at what people need for their holidays, I think that ultimately it's THEIR holiday, so their call as to what will make it more enjoyable for them. Be it 87 pairs of shoes, a case full of Heinz baked beans and Chocolate Hob Nobs, their favourite brand of tea / coffee / pop or an itinerary planned with microscopic precision.

All I know for sure on this trip is that I'll put some things in my suitcase, the girls will fill theirs and use mine for everything else they want to bring.

• Like 1

I bring soft drinks on board P&O because they don't sell them in a way I am happy to purchase

I drink (too much) diet coke - yes I know its bad for me but lets not go there.

On P&O you have to buy a glass and carry it to your cabin (which is a pain) or buy those tiny cans you get on aircraft.

I bring a box or two on with me so I can drink the odd can in the cabin. I would prefer not to have to bring them on and to have to top up when in port - and for me this is one area I prefer Celebrity as they sell normal sized cans and you can buy a decent package.

Until P&O improve how they sell soft drinks I'll bring cans or bottles on. This is nothing to so with saving money - I personally would be more than happy to buy on board but they simply don't offer what I am prepared to buy.

I bring soft drinks on board P&O because they don't sell them in a way I am happy to purchase

I drink (too much) diet coke - yes I know its bad for me but lets not go there.

On P&O you have to buy a glass and carry it to your cabin (which is a pain) or buy those tiny cans you get on aircraft.

I bring a box or two on with me so I can drink the odd can in the cabin. I would prefer not to have to bring them on and to have to top up when in port - and for me this is one area I prefer Celebrity as they sell normal sized cans and you can buy a decent package.

Until P&O improve how they sell soft drinks I'll bring cans or bottles on. This is nothing to so with saving money - I personally would be more than happy to buy on board but they simply don't offer what I am prepared to buy.

Don't P&O use the 'gun' method for dispensing sodas? :(

I will be bringing my diet Sprites and Dr Pepper on board Adonia next month

and stocking up as and when we are in port :)