Mississippi River shut down in New Orleans

What I read said it should be reopened tonight. They shut down traffic to install a sill to keep saltwater from advancing up the river and threatening the cities drinking water. Did something happen with the dredge or pipeline they're installing?

why is it shut down?

The river was closed temporarily to shipping traffic in New Orleans as contractors began building an underwater barrier to stop the advance of salt water threatening drinking water in the New Orleans area. Due to low water levels in the Mississippi River, salt water has been moving far upriver and was at the outskirts of New Orleans, nearly 90 miles north of the mouth of the Mississippi. The river is expected to be reopened Wednesday evening.

Salt water from the Gulf is entering the river because of the low water level which makes the drinking water unsafe. Engineers are placing a pipeline to make an underwater barrier to keep the salt water out of the river. I've lived here my entire life and have never heard of this before. The article I read said it could take weeks to possibly months.

But carnival doesn't use the mobile port anymore.

There wasn't a Terminal at all in Gulfport but the Conquest sailed from there until it could get up the river when it first came to NOLA when it was new. Amazingly, they can make do if they have to in other areas.

But carnival doesn't use the mobile port anymore.

Carnival had never used the port in Houston before Hurricane Ike either .. but they made arrangements ... believe me.. Mobile would welcome it.

I know that NOLA was closed when Ike hit and they dumped us in New Orleans and got porters out of bed to come get us off the ship.. I waited 4 hours.. its was awful.

But we went into NOLA before it had reopened...

And then they got permission to take the ship to a never before used port in Houston.

I am on conquest next month and need to be first off the ship when it ports at 7 am.. and I have a 6 1/4 hour drive to galveston to board Magic.

I hope the one way traffic doesnt affect conquest next month.. crossing my fingers.

conquest is a unlucky ship for me. As I said I was on it when Ike wiped out my car and Galveston.

I am on conquest next month and need to be first off the ship when it ports at 7 am.. and I have a 6 1/4 hour drive to galveston to board Magic.

I hope the one way traffic doesnt affect conquest next month.. crossing my fingers.

conquest is a unlucky ship for me. As I said I was on it when Ike wiped out my car and Galveston.

I will keep my fingers crossed for ya and hope you have some good luck.

It should take 5 1/2 unless there is traffic around the Lake Charles due to construction.

But good luck my GF wouldnt let me do that type of planning

It should take 5 1/2 unless there is traffic around the Lake Charles due to construction.

good to hear.. Im parking at fulton garage and if their shuttle is not outside, Ill grab a cab to the parking lot.. anything to shave off a few minutes.

I was saying no to conquest.. but my TA is flying over from UK, a real Lord, lol, and throwing a party with free drinks and taking everyone to the steak restaurant and some costume kind of party etc.

I felt like after booking thru him so many times I had to go. He is even paying for many of the cabins .. FREE.

good to hear.. Im parking at fulton garage and if their shuttle is not outside, Ill grab a cab to the parking lot.. anything to shave off a few minutes.

I was saying no to conquest.. but my TA is flying over from UK, a real Lord, lol, and throwing a party with free drinks and taking everyone to the steak restaurant and some costume kind of party etc.

I felt like after booking thru him so many times I had to go. He is even paying for many of the cabins .. FREE.

Sounds like a great time I would try it as well.... especially with the TA throwing the party..

Once you get close to the port in the AM check traffic on 10 if you can.

If they are still doing construction they have a detour around the lake that can be faster.I dont know which way you are driving in from but that may give you an Idea

This was on the NBC nightly news tonight. Shipping freighters are getting stuck in the middle of the river because it is too shallow so I'm sure it wouldn't be much different for cruise ships

Doesnt a cargo ship sit lower in the water than a cruise ship??

Wow. Now THAT'S a great travel agent! Wish I could find out who he is.

fire -

Best wishes for safe travels and making your connection to the Magic!

I had not heard about the Mississippi being THAT low as to cause shipping (and cruising) issues. Hoping it will all be resolved soon!

fire -

Best wishes for safe travels and making your connection to the Magic!

I had not heard about the Mississippi being THAT low as to cause shipping (and cruising) issues. Hoping it will all be resolved soon!

me too. I think Im crazy for even trying to make it from NOLA to Galveston on the same day. Magic says it leaves at 4 pm. So I need to be there by 2:30 pm.

Archived