How did you like Carioca's?

davidmbfonz

Hi everyone - getting excited about our upcoming cruise. Just wondering how people have found the food at Carioca's? It looks intriguing, and apparently South American food is more variable than I first might imagine.

Would you choose this restaurant to be one that you ate twice at, or choose another one?

Thanks in advance for sharing!

They do not serve South American food. It is just a decor thing.

You do not get to choose which restaurant you will eat at twice. I'm guessing that you are a first time cruiser on a 4 night cruise???? You will eat at each restaurant once during which you will be served the signature menu for that restaurant. The repeat night will be assigned based on your rotation, and you will be served the pirate night menu regardless of which restaurant you are seated in.

Yes, you may request a rotation, but honestly I think that is much ado about nothing. It doesn't matter where you start--by the end of the cruise each person will have had a chance to experience the same 4 menus.

We're on a five-day Western Caribbean. It looks like we'll be in two of the restaurants twice (one of those days will be Pirate night).

Was wondering if anyone would share their impressions of the food and atmosphere - this restaurant looks to be the most unusual of the ones on this ship as well as on the Dream, which we've been on.

Thanks.

We have had some great times in Carioca's because of our tablemates and servers, but the atmosphere, just in our opinion, is not the greatest. The Brazilian themed backdrop is actually a curtain with an image of Rio that hides the buffet area used at lunch. The rest of the restaurant is kind of blah. My hope is that DCL will rethink the concept. Moki'smommy is correct about the food and menus, and, as I stated, we have had some fun evening there anyway.

Edited by STHCruising

It doesn't matter where you start--by the end of the cruise each person will have had a chance to experience the same 4 menus.

Not exactly. My wife and I have been on 13 Disney Cruises and 5 of them have been 4-night cruises. However, we have never experienced all 4 main-dining-room menus during a 4-night cruise because we always reserve either Palo or Remy for one of the nights. So the big question is which main dining room menu to skip. Unless you choose to skip the Pirate menu (most often the third night), that may require changing the assigned rotation.

Not exactly. My wife and I have been on 13 Disney Cruises and 5 of them have been 4-night cruises. However, we have never experienced all 4 main-dining-room menus during a 4-night cruise because we always reserve either Palo or Remy for one of the nights. So the big question is which main dining room menu to skip. Unless you choose to skip the Pirate menu (most often the third night), that may require changing the assigned rotation.

2 points--first, that is the reason I worded my post "has had the chance." The fact that you had the chance to experience each main dining room but chose adult only dining instead does not negate the fact that you had the chance. You simply chose to go elsewhere.

Secondly, there are only 3 main dining rooms on each of the DCL ships that I've been on. Without a count, I don't think I've done as many 4 nighters as you have; I can remember 3 of them for sure but we tend to do much longer cruises.

Magic--Lumiere's, Animator's, Carioca's (was Parrot Cay)

Wonder--Triton's, Animator's, Parrot Cay

Fantasy--Royal, Enchanted, Animator's

Dream--Royal, Enchanted, Animator's

Animator's does have different shows depending on which ship you are on.

The only way I can see you referring to a 4th restaurant is if you are including the pool deck restaurant. This is not one of the MDRs and is not in any dining rotation.

The only way I can see you referring to a 4th restaurant is if you are including the pool deck restaurant. This is not one of the MDRs and is not in any dining rotation.

3 Restaurants but 4 menus. My point was that if you wish to experience the Pirate Menu (and I would recommend it for first time cruisers) AND one of the specialty restaurants during a 4-night cruise, then you will have to miss one of the restaurants on the day when it has its own (non-Pirate) menu. For a first-time cruiser, the Animator's Palate show is a "do not miss" and it is not shown on Pirate night even if you are in Animator's on Pirate night. That is why you may have to change your assigned dining rotation if you wish to experience all of the Animator's Palate show, the Pirate menu and a specialty restaurant in one 4-night cruise. You would not want to have a rotation that places you in Animator's on the day of your Palo/Remy reservation.

3 Restaurants but 4 menus. My point was that if you wish to experience the Pirate Menu (and I would recommend it for first time cruisers) AND one of the specialty restaurants during a 4-night cruise, then you will have to miss one of the restaurants on the day when it has its own (non-Pirate) menu. For a first-time cruiser, the Animator's Palate show is a "do not miss" and it is not shown on Pirate night even if you are in Animator's on Pirate night. That is why you may have to change your assigned dining rotation if you wish to experience all of the Animator's Palate show, the Pirate menu and a specialty restaurant in one 4-night cruise. You would not want to have a rotation that places you in Animator's on the day of your Palo/Remy reservation.

OK, I see what you are saying now....but that is an easily solved issue. We typically go to "dining changes" and ask whether it is easier for them to change our Palo reservation or change our dining rotation if there is a conflict.

However, we have a particular favorite head server on one of the ships. If he is on board, we want to be in his section, so will not accept a rotation change. In that case, we would change our Palo reservation.