Port parking Question.

mividajp

I read on the DCL website that preferred parking was $20 extra no matter the cruise length. Is that $20 extra per day or just an extra $20? I'm thinking its $20/day but just wanted to double check. TIA :)

It's for length of stay. As in - one time charge.

Edited by Shmoo here

It isn't "extra," it is how they do the billing. DCL lists the cruise as "7 nights." That means you sleep in their beds 7 times. The parking authority bills per DAY or any part of a day. That means you get billed for both embarkation and disembarkation days....so a 7 night cruise has parts of 8 days that you are in the lot. True, you are there for 7 24 hour periods, but those include parts of 8 calendar days.

Same for any other cruise length. A 3 night cruise will have parking that covers 4 calendar days. A 4 night cruise will have parking across 5 days.

Bottom line, a 3 night cruise is not 3 days of parking...it is 4.

It isn't "extra' date='" it is how they do the billing. DCL lists the cruise as "7 nights." That means you sleep in their beds 7 times. The parking authority bills per DAY or any part of a day. That means you get billed for both embarkation and disembarkation days....so a 7 night cruise has parts of 8 days that you are in the lot. True, you are there for 7 24 hour periods, but those include parts of 8 calendar days.

Same for any other cruise length. A 3 night cruise will have parking that covers 4 calendar days. A 4 night cruise will have parking across 5 days.

Bottom line, a 3 night cruise is not 3 days of parking...it is 4.[/quote']

I believe OP was asking about the Preferred Parking charge. It's extra on top of the cost of the parking charge.

We've done the preferred parking a couple of times. Its definitely a straight $20; not per day.

I'm not convinced its a good deal though. There is plenty of parking in the garage, where you car will at least be under cover.

Thanks Jalves! That was actually what I was asking. I guess I should have explained a little better. On the DCL website its $120.00 for parking for a 7 day cruise. After it lists the charges for 8,10, 12, and 15 day cruises it says "preferred parking is an additional $20.00 regardless of length of cruise".

I was confused if that meant preferred parking would be $140 for a 7 day cruise or if it meant it would be $260 for a 7 day cruise.

What is the difference in preferred or regular?

T

Location, location, location.

And it is $20 more than the regular parking for the same length of cruise--sorry that I didn't read more carefully before.

It is $140 for a 7 night cruise currently, but parking rates are set by the Port Authority and subject to change at any time.

Thanks Jalves! That was actually what I was asking. I guess I should have explained a little better. On the DCL website its $120.00 for parking for a 7 day cruise. After it lists the charges for 8,10, 12, and 15 day cruises it says "preferred parking is an additional $20.00 regardless of length of cruise".

I was confused if that meant preferred parking would be $140 for a 7 day cruise or if it meant it would be $260 for a 7 day cruise.

In this photo the preferred parking is the smaller lot closest to the terminal (sort of "D" shaped). Regular parking is the parking structure and the two lots on either side of it.

http://i62.tinypic.com/2wdr6g4.jpg[/img]"]2wdr6g4.jpg

Edited by Shmoo here

You guys are awesome as always. Thanks for the picture Schmoo! We want the covered parking. Since we're traveling during hurricane season we'd prefer to have the car in the garage just in case there's hail or bad weather while we're gone.

Our PAT is 11:30am. Do you think we'll still be able to find parking in the garage?

You guys are awesome as always. Thanks for the picture Schmoo! We want the covered parking. Since we're traveling during hurricane season we'd prefer to have the car in the garage just in case there's hail or bad weather while we're gone.

Our PAT is 11:30am. Do you think we'll still be able to find parking in the garage?

I would say for sure you'll be able to get a space in the garage. All the disembarkation people should be gone and you are relatively early in the day. We've never had a problem with getting a garage spot when we wanted one. Show up about 11:15 and you'll be good to go!