Tipping the room steward the first day?

MickeyG

I've read posts that suggest tipping the room steward a little something the first day of the cruise to build a good relationship with him/her. Then tip the suggested amount at the end of the cruise as well. Does anyone support this idea or do you think it is not necessary to tip something at the beginning?

Mick:)

We have always tipped our steward at the beginning of the cruise. I make sure that we are remembered, and well taken care of. And we always tip on the last day, too.

I don't know if this has made a difference; however, we have always had spectacular service on every ship.

I've done 37 cruises and have never pre-tipped anyone. The workers know that they must give good service in order to get the tip at the end of the cruise and I just don't see the reason to give them anything up front. If, for some reason, you need something extra done for you, then you tip extra at the end for those things, along with a verbal thank you for what they did. I just feel that if you tip the first day, it's not a gratuity but a bribe to insure service.

First day of cruise we give between $30-$40. Please bear in mind, everyone, that we are not saying this is the right or wrong thing to do. What we are saying is that it works for us and that we shall keep doing it.

For those that have many more cruises under their belts than we do (we did begin cruising late in life!), you should - of course - continue doing whatever you feel comfortable with!

I guess I don't get it. What's the tip up front supposed to get you?

After 15 cruises, the steward comes into the room twice a day, picks up the towels, cleans up the bathroom, makes the bed, then turns it down at night. What more should I expect or get that I would want to tip at the beginning? I don't tip at the beginning so what am I missing? Or is up front tipping for people who know they are going to be calling the steward 5 times a day to fill the ice bucket or perform some other trivial tasks?

Inquiring minds want to know.

I have never pre-tipped nor have I ever received what anyone could call "poor" service. Of course, I don't really need a lot of service to keep me happy(as long as the bed's made and I have fresh towel sand ice in the ice bucket- I'm satisfied)so I'm not sure what pre-tipping could get me that I don't get without it. And to be frank, if I don't at least get a made-up bed and clean towels I won't be tipping period!

• 2 weeks later...

:) hi everyone.....just wanted to throw in my two cents....when i board the ship i head to my cabin hoping to catch our steward. it is a pleasure to meet him or her....i look them in the face with a big happy smile and then at their name tag and if i can pronounce their name(sometimes i can not)i say hi!!! nice to meet you ......i always ask my stewards....or waiters or bartenders or any one working on the ship that i meet their name and then introduce myself and my fiance dan......i try to make it very personal.i also tip the bartenders per drink after every drink....seems the staff always seems to remember our names and call us by such everyday...as to tipping up front i have not done so...maybe i will on our next cruise feb 5 on the caribbean princess..............i think cruisers are the greatest people :rolleyes: stephanie and dan

\

:) i try to make it very personal.i also tip the bartenders per drink after every drink....seems the staff always seems to remember our names and call us by such everyday...:rolleyes: stephanie and dan

\

Are you saying that you tip in addition to the automatic 15% gratuity added to your bar bill?

i do the same as stephanie. and i always try to say hi and bye and thanks and the normal pleasantries. i have never tipped up front and still get great service. what do i get above and beyond? well, not much because i am not a high maintenance kinda gal. with that said, if i needed something, it was done FAST. and i got extra chocolates, towel animals every day, extra beach towels.

We have always tipped up front, Maybe $20 and said this is for the extra's we may request and is in addition to the end result and requested that we need 2 ice buckets filled at all times an ash tray, And may need extra towels and such....... On our last cruise on the AOS we did this and asked for feather pillows, And the bathrobes and within an hour they all appeared........ Would they have done this if I didn't tip Extra? Maybe....... But our room steward did fumble the ball and we almost never had ice and almost always had to call room service for ice...... 1 out of 4 is not bad, As on our previous cruises ice was there 24/7........ But we slept well and felt comfy after our shower on the AOS...... Try asking for those things without tipping up front....... Hmmmm.... Will you get them??? try and let us all know........

I guess I don't get it. What's the tip up front supposed to get you?

After 15 cruises, the steward comes into the room twice a day, picks up the towels, cleans up the bathroom, makes the bed, then turns it down at night. What more should I expect or get that I would want to tip at the beginning? I don't tip at the beginning so what am I missing? Or is up front tipping for people who know they are going to be calling the steward 5 times a day to fill the ice bucket or perform some other trivial tasks?

Inquiring minds want to know.

I would like to know as well! Our first cruise, we tipped our steward the first day (as well as left little gifts for him each morning) and got exactly the above. We didn't get any more or better service than others we spoke to who didn't tip extra. In fact, one of the drawers was full of hair and it took two days of notes before he cleaned it!! On our January cruise, we'll just stick with the end-of-cruise tipping.

I recall that some time ago I had read that tip is an acronim for "to insure promptness" and that it is common in some countries (I think European) that a tip is presented to a server or attendant prior to their service.

That's only my .02c.

• 3 weeks later...

you know i find in life that a courteous smile....going out of the way to be friendly(for me is way to easy) and asking for all staff names looking THEM in the eyes and introducing myself goes a wonderful long way if you show you are personable and friendly .i have always received excellent service also i am one that doesnt sweat the small stuff....i remember on rccl on aos in our b cat suite having a glass of champagne with the concierge and the room steward 10 mins after we entered our cabin.....i know alot of people won't believe that but its true.......by theway i think the royal caribbean was the best.......ship i've been on.....was run flawlessly....captain was superb just remember any day on a cruise is bette than a bad day at home......plus i am on my second glass of wine.....so sorry if i rambled on...............stephanie lives for cruising:)

:p you know i find in life that a courteous smile....going out of the way to be friendly(for me is way to easy) and asking for all staff names looking THEM in the eyes and introducing myself goes a wonderful long way if you show you are personable and friendly .i have always received excellent service also i am one that doesnt sweat the small stuff....i remember on rccl on aos in our b cat suite having a glass of champagne with the concierge and the room steward 10 mins after we entered our cabin.....i know alot of people won't believe that but its true.......by theway i think the royal caribbean was the best

ship i've been on.....was run flawlessly....captain was superb. just remember any day on a cruise is better than a good day at home:D ......plus i am on my second glass of wine.....so sorry if i rambled on...............stephanie lives for cruising:)

I am from humble beginnings and understand what motivates our crew and staff to

work so hard to take care of the ship and passengers. Quite a few of personnel I visit with have family in other parts of the world and look at the job they have as an incredible opportunity to expand beyond what they had available in their native country.

We always pass our cabin steward(ess) a substantial tip when we first meet them and have always had excellent service. If they do not perform in a consistent manner, then the "Darwin" rule will prevail and they will wind up back in their home country doing whatever job drives the local economy.

Next time onboard, ask them what their work schedule is like. It's not a vacation or holiday.

Archived