Any information on how to split a cruise?

wishful

Most cruise lines do not allow you to just jump on and off the ship at will. If you only take one part of a cruise, the line loses the revenue by not being able to book the rooms for the full week for either of the partials you're on.

There's also the issue of violating the provisions of the Jones Act. That will most likely be the biggest problem with trying to do this.

But, what you have to do is, first find out if the cruise line allows this, and find out what they charge. You will most likely have to pay a per diem rate and you will most likely not be allowed to use any reduced rates for this, so it could be quite expensive in the end.

I wonder if the people that split their cruises were not citzens of the country the cruise ship started in.. FOr example a lot of Canadians cruise. They need passports to do that.. So I would think that they could split their cruise.

Sea Princess is doing two alternating 14-day Southern Caribbean itineraries next Fall. The ship will be in port in either Ft. Lauderdale or Barbados on alternating Saturdays, and they are permitting embarkation at either one.

I don't know if Princess would allow you to embark in Ft. Lauderdate, disembark in Barbados 7 days into the cruise, spend 2 weeks there, then re-embark at Barbados to return to Ft. Lauderdale for the remaining 7 days (or vice-verse) but it might be worth looking into.

When we did Fascination back in 2000 out of San Juan a good percentage of the passengers embarked and debarked in Barbadoes. We were told these were mostly European passengers that US, Canadian and of course Puerto Rican passengers would embark and debark in San Juan. So this is done but it is not like you have a choice as to where you embark.

But it made sense to me. It was cheaper to fly into San Juan for us then Barbadoes. I suppose it was the other way around for the Europeans.

the cruise was pretty much split 50/50 too. Half were Americans Canadians and Puerto Ricans and the other half Europeans. They made announcements in like 5 languages.

I was on the Zenith in November cruising the Southern Caribbean and several people got off at St Thomas. I was infomed they were splitting their cruise. Does anyone have any information on how this is done?

It could also be that you were misinformed and they were getting off for an entirely diffferent reason such as medical emergency at home or death in family, etc.

Don

Archived